Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 water filter....or just tablets? >

water filter....or just tablets?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

water filter....or just tablets?

Old 03-13-2005, 05:04 AM

Default water filter....or just tablets?

I was wondering what was better. I'm sure there are some hunters out there that have had some run in's with "bad" water. I'm looking for some advice on which filter or which tablets. Thanks!!
Old 03-13-2005, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: water filter....or just tablets?

The tablets will leave an aftertaste a lot of times. I got a First Need several years ago for canoe trips. I works great, but takes a while to pump a quart of water. If you are camping, it's the way to go. The one I have will filter out all chemicals and every organism but viruses. I understand that the new ones are even better. I also got one of those queeze bottle waterfilters to carry turkey hunting. It's lighter to carry and I'm generally near a water source anyway. That's worked great too.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:57 AM

Don't mess with the tablets, there are a lot of great filters on the market, in every size and price range. The filters are safer and the water is drinkable, no funny taste. Look at REI, they have a good selection.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, get the water filter. REI is a good source. Other camping equipment distributors probably have entirely adequate filters also. Not a new technology. Also, speaking as someone who has experienced Giardesis -- infection with the Giardia bug, protazoa, or whatever the hell it is -- you want to filter all your water carefully. Take care not to splash water up from the water source into your clean water stock. In my case I had no idea the "pure" mountain water about 9,000 feet about 30 - 40 miles west of Denver had any bugs in it and drank with disregard of any hazard. In my case the incubation period was about two days. Giardesis will put a distinct cramp in your hunting or fishing activity.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I attended a seminar on personal hydration in the field a while back that was hosted by Camelback. Quite informative. The filtration is the way to go. I also highly recommend the seminar if you can find one. The sporting goods stores that cater to hiking and camping should have some info on availability.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:47 PM

I use both on my hunts. I like the MSR miniworks because it is a purifier not just a filter, there is a difference. I also carry a bottle of iodine tablets because sometimes I drink all of my water, especially if packing out moose quarters a long way. I can just stop at a creek, drop in two tablets, and drink if I am thirsty. Also necessay if you are bivoucing for a special animal.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:47 AM

I use both too - I don't like spending my hunting time squatting with my pants down.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:03 PM

I dumped the filter after five seasons. When it worked it was still just one more thing to deal with, and the fifth season the pump handle broke. No more for me.

I always had iodine as a back up and now it's all I carry. When I'm thirsty the iodine doesn't bother me; I often don't even notice it.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:50 PM

water filers/aqua filters
Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 PM

Go filters you can pick up a fairly good one that you just put water in bottle and drink, not but about pint size use to use tablets but took to long to get a drink and you do drink alot up here.

Quick Reply: water filter....or just tablets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.