HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   simmons scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/93227-simmons-scope.html)

jip40 03-08-2005 02:13 PM

simmons scope

i was looking to buy a new scope, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with simmons scopes

Rebel Hog 03-08-2005 02:59 PM

RE: simmons scope

jip40,
Depends on the buck's you have to spend.Simmons is a Wal-Mart class of scope
and its all right for a starter.They all make a less expensive and more expensive
scpoe.In my Opinion the higher priced Simmons are good.They also make
a shotgun/muzzle loader scope.
These are good scopes to start with and learn.

I moved up to Zeiss scopes along time ago,but I think I've have had them all .

Except.....the Russian! Sorry, Sasha....

sour01 03-08-2005 09:43 PM

I bought a Ruger 77 MK II rifle in 30-06 from a friend that was topped with a Simmons 44 Mag. That scope has served me well over the last five years and I have no complaints. Have been considering upgrading however for a bit more light gathering.

I have a Simmons 4X on my .22 and it has been deadly on squirrels. And I have a Simmons 2X prodiamond on my turkey gun (Mossberg 835 which gives that scope plenty of abuse) and absolutely love it.

I have read horror stories on this forum about how lousy Simmons scopes are---but so far I have had no complaints. I'm sure I could do better spending some more bucks---and when some of those bucks come my way---perhaps I will---but I am a happy camper right now.

jip40 03-09-2005 07:18 AM

thanks for the responses

kyhunter308 03-09-2005 10:45 AM

i really never cared for simmions scopes,,but thats just in my opinion..how much are you planing to spend, and maybe we can help..

12 pointer 03-09-2005 06:56 PM

i have a simmons aetec on my omega and it is an awesome scope. it is the best out there for under $200. I also had a simmons 8-point 3-9x40 on a .270 rifle and it was a good scope. It was not near as high quality as the aetec, but i never had problems with it and it kept its zero. The aetec is a great scope and i highly recommend it to anyone.

etw 03-10-2005 09:07 AM

Aetec on my Ruger #1 in 7 STW for about 8 years. Keeps its zero, clear and bright. :eek:

micdundee 03-10-2005 09:42 AM

I have a simmons aetec. I love it and have had absolutely no problems with them at all. I think they have lifetime warrantees as well.

jip40 03-10-2005 04:31 PM

i found a prohunter 2.5-10X50 for $100 online

Mike01 03-10-2005 09:03 PM

I have a 50$ 8 point 3-9x on my .243. Honestly as cheap as it was, I can't complain...I sighted it in last october and it's yet to loose it's zero. I was hitting skeet at 150 yards with it very commonly and even paper targets farther out then that....Of course I'd love a chance to get an upgrade if I can get some cash.

ike1371 03-10-2005 11:00 PM

simmons are nice for .22's small caliber rifles. other than that i don't really care for them. they are nice for a small budget and as a starter scope also.

Rebel Hog 03-17-2005 11:28 PM

This one! Simmons Aetec.When you can afford it. Good scope.

rob1 03-18-2005 02:45 AM

I have a Pro Diamond on my 3.5" turkey gun, and have never had any problems with it.:)

Superpig 03-30-2005 01:20 PM

The Simmons Aetec's are good optics. They are even better if you can find a used on that was produced in Japan. The problem I have with Simmons is when they introduce a new flagship scope such as the 44 Magn and then the Aetec they produce them in Japan for the first couple of years and then move assembly to the Phillipines. The Japanese assembled optics have alot better quality control than that from the Phillipines. Since they are now owned by Meade that may all change. Only time will tell.

As a side note my Step-Dad recently bought a Simmons Aetec on closeout for under $150. I mounted and sighted it for him. It's on a Ruger Model 77 w/tang safety. So far it has had around 50 rounds through the gun with no problems as of yet.

uncle matt 03-30-2005 06:29 PM

We've got them on our slug guns - never had a problem and have been absolutely satisfied with them.

We've got them on three 10/22's - never had a problem and have been absolutely satisfied with them.

The top end (priced) scopes are basically a waste of money - like a Rolls Royce, Benz or Beemer, expensive names.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

GooseHunter Jr. 03-31-2005 10:18 AM

I have a 3x9x32 that I have had for about 15 years and have never had a problem with. I was considering a Aztec for my new .338 but I got a good deal on a Burris so I am going that way!