Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Sleeping Bags

Old 03-02-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Sleeping Bags

Anyone have suggestions for a quality sleeping bag rated to -20 for under $200. I heard Cabelas has a sale on one called the "3-D" bag. Anyone heard of it?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:29 AM

Default RE: Sleeping Bags

no but cabelas has some great stuff and if it dosen't work out for you they will take it back no questions asked
Old 03-03-2005, 07:35 PM

Patchboy,

You may want to look at a Wiggy's bag. You can get one bag for -20 for just a hair over $200.

Are you coming up North for a hunt? A -20 bag is a serious bag and may not be necessary unless you are hunting above the Arctic Circle in late Sept.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Sierra Designs makes a real nice mummy bag. Not sure on the price though I have had it for 5 or 6 years with a lot of use.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 AM

I have a....ahhhh....Oh Yeah North Face Mummy For -20 Got It 60$ Really Nice I Love It.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:42 AM

Unless you are doing some serious winter camping in extreme conditions a -20 bag is most likly over kill. When buying a good sleeping bag here are a few things to consider. What style, do you want a mummy or a rektangulr, a lot of people can't sleep in a muumy, they find it to confining, but they are the warmenst. What environment will you be in, that's important when looking at differnt insulation options. Down is by far the warmest, the lighest and packs the smallest. I only use down bags, but you need to keep yourself dry. Go look at some sites like Feathered Friends in Seattle, they make a top of the line bag and have lots of good information available to educate yourself. The North Face and Marmot are also good sources. Buy right and you will only have to buy it one time. Spend a few extra bucks, it will be worth it.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

I second Eider's note on considering either the mummy or rectangular bag. I started out with a mummy then switched to the rectangular model. I'm in a camp so the rectangular is fine in that environment. It would be way too big if I had to stuff it into a backpack. The rectangular is a lot more comfortable for me - can turn over without having to simultaneously rotate the bag to keep my face and the "blow hole" (in the mummy) aligned.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:44 PM

Sometimes down bags are NOT a good choice. Like here in Alaska on a ton of hunts. Constant rain or a float hunt are no place for a down bag. If down gets wet, you cannot dry it out in the field, and you may freeze. Synthetics are a far better choice in wet conditions.

As for -20 bags, I have a -40 bag that I use for moose and caribou. Usually it does not get much below -10 or so where I hunt, but I hunt late in the season when its pretty possible to have a realy weather event. The -40 bag gives me some confidence in staying out long and in adverse conditions, and sometimes that makes the difference between a moose or no moose.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:45 AM

A simple solution for using a down bag in a wet environment is to carry a good gor-tex bivy sack, they pack small and light and offer all the protection you need for a down bag, they also add 5 to 10 degrees of warmth to your bag. Any good camping store that sell climbing gear will have them.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Cabelas 3d -40 i believe it is huge and plenty warm. I loved it when camping.

Quick Reply: Sleeping Bags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.