Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Advise on Knives

Old 02-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Advise on Knives

Be aware that the standard gator and the gator with the cm154 blade are entirely different knives.The cm154 blade holds an edge for several times as long as the standard gator.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Henry / Schrade
Old 02-17-2005, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: The knives I use are 25yrs old and are very special to me.
They where bought for me by my dad and I'll use nothing else.
If I was getting a knife as a legacy for my son, I'd get one from [link]http://www.mccroskeyknives.com/[/link]. They would be at the upper end of what you want to pay, but they are incredible. A guide at the King Ranch used a buddy of mine's to clean and dress two nilgai, and the knife would still shave. The guide couldn't believe it. And they give NRA discounts. I'm pretty sure Schrade closed their doors, so good luck finding any of those.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:19 PM

Depends on his age and how well it will be treated. I know as a young-un i was very hard on a knife so my Dad would buy me the cheaper ones until i learned to take care of and respect a more expensive one.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya I know what you mean Joe-Beef.But he's 13 andI'll give him the benifite of the doubt.
Besides hunting is something he will not do alone, he'll be doing it with me..Legal age to hunt alone is 19 where I live.
I've got 6yrs to instill the importance of maintaing firearms knives optics ammo,sharpening stones etc.etc.
I'm not looking for the best of the best equipment just stuff I know is capableof giving him a lifetime of use and has a good waranty.I only want to do this once.I'm willing to take the blow now because I've got two girls ages 7&6 that are right behind him tell me "Daddy there's a Big Buck!!"
"Guess what Dad, I want a Gun for my Birthday ,so I can shoot a big Buck"
Old 02-19-2005, 04:46 AM

You seem to be a great Dad Jeff . Your kids are very fortunate. Always remember ,'' Hunt with them , and you won't have to Hunt for them.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:41 AM

I prefer the Gerber but if your going to get a folding lock back I recommend taking the screws out and put lock tite on them and put them back. Ive had two fall apart on me while in use so now I always lock tite the screws. Jimmy
Old 02-23-2005, 12:27 PM

You can often find deals on Puma knives on ebay. I got a a older White Hunter for $100 once and new Hunter's pal for $60.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:57 PM

My wife gave me one of Kellam's folders a few years ago for Christmas. It is the best knife I have ever owned. Here's their website.

http://www.kellamknives.com/
Old 03-01-2005, 08:52 PM

buck alpha

Quick Reply: Advise on Knives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.