Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Pack help...

Old 01-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting Pack help...

Hi,

Hunting for whitetailed deer in NH has never forced me to go off and buy any significant pack. However, I'm gearing up for a Caribou hunt in northern Quebec (yes, I realize I'm 8 months off but what can I say) and am thinking I will need to buy a pack of some sort.

I would be very interested in your opinions, both positve and negative, of what you've seen in available.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 01-17-2005, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Hunting Pack help...

Cabelas has a couple of combination packs that offer back support and hydration systems built into the pack-that is what I used when I went up there hunting a few years back-needed the back support after trucking that stuff all day across the land and really appreciated the water as well.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:54 PM

I have to second the hydration system bid. I bought a Camel Bak pack for this years season - I love it. Never realized how thristy I was getting in the field until I had access to water at all times.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:22 PM

Whatever pack that you get, make sure that it is waterproof. I went to Wyo this past year with a camelback 'commander' that was water resistant. It ended getting wet along with everything else that I packed [:@]. Now I will be using a Master guide pack from Crooked horn outfitters because it is just as big and waterproof...
Old 01-17-2005, 09:47 PM

The Cabela's Pack Alaskan Outfitter etc. is a very good external frame pack for the money. If packing meat, you will probaly want an external frame pack. For the money, they are a good pack. Kelty also makes some decent external frame packs as does campmor. If you like spending more $$$ try a Kifaru (internal frame but a heavy duty back pack) or the bullpack. Both are not cheap however and for a one time hunt, I would not spend that kind of money.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:17 AM

Without a doubt in my opinion the Eberlestock Just one is the best thing to ever come down the market. Take a look at posts on monstermuleys.com

I've researched it a ton and the replies say it fits just about everyone. They were packing 100 pounds around in it at the latest show. Its so well designed by a hunter and former US Olympic Biathlete. Its waterproof, and can have a rain cover. Has a sleeve for the rifle hands free, will go from 2000 cu inches and start opening up (the real design coup in the whole thing) to get up to 6000 cu in.

Its internal frame but they pack out elk and moose quarters with it. Without a doubt if you only want to buy one pack(thats my theory when I research things-- I may look for 6-12 months before spending) you at least need to really look at this one and the website.

I don't see how you can go wrong with it at all.( I should add that I've had my hands on 2 of them but do not own one at the moment- PXmas bills still..... But I will have 1 or 2 by the fall and my inlaws are going caribou hunting with me in 2006 and that will be 3 more in the family by then....)

IM(not so)HO

Jeff

I was sold on the Cabelas pack frame but this one will do it all with a more comfortable(to me) internal frame and without leaving part of the pack behind.

Am not affiliated with them at all. Get nothing from this. but it ranks as high as X or failsafe bullets do with me. And thats at the top of the list.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2005, 08:44 AM

The water proof thing is essential as was mentioned above-great advice on the others-I will have to look into the internal frame design.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everybody for the great information.