Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 scent lock or scent block clothes >

scent lock or scent block clothes

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

scent lock or scent block clothes

Old 01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scent lock or scent block clothes

I own a lot of both Scent-Lok and ScentBlocker gear and have always felt that it does give me an edge. PLEASE do NOT think they are some magic cure all though! They will NOT allow you to "foget the wind" and just hunt, HOWEVER it WILL indeed redeuce your scent to an extent that instead of a predator perched only 20 yards away you may smell like someone over 200 yards away. Here in the ag country of IL that's enough to get a chance at a mature deer many times. I believe it also really helps as far as minimum disturbance to an area based on your entry and exit trail. Istead of smelling like fresh track it may smell similar to a trail that is many hours old. I can tell you of many stroies where I had only been in my stands for mere minutes, yet had P&Y class bucks come by and have NO clue that a hunter was anywhere in the country. For these benefits, NO miracles, I believe this clothing line is worth the money to all of those that can afford!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:50 PM

Default RE: scent lock or <span class="high">scent</span> block clothes

homemade scent killer search put me right back at your post. Can you find it and link it please?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...killer&#527845
Old 01-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

PYseeker you hit the nail on the head. For all of you that think the wind blows from a relatively constant direction; stand next to your camp fire with the very same relatively constant wind and watch the smoke. If you can afford Sent Lok/Sent Blocker and your not using it you are educating deer and thats all. For the hunters who use it, you know what the reality is. The earth is not flat.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

I think the scent block clothing certainly can help mask.

I hunted last year with a guy that had a really nice scent blocking suit and was also wearing so much "Old Spice" that my eyes were watering. I told him he was going to warn deer for miles and he ignored me.
He did not see any deer all season.

I hunt relative to wind direction. No cologne, aftershave or deoderant.
That said, I do use the scent blocking laundry and bath soap. It's cheaper in bulk than the specialized clothes.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Scam, scam.scam. BS baffles brains, there is one born every minute. Get the message? Keep yourself clean and low scented as possible and hunt according to the wind direction that will put more deer in your freezer than any phoney scent lock clothing.IMHO
Old 02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I also have seen numerous cases where deer hang out downwind of me and do not smell me, and I don't do anything at all to control scent.

Field and Stream recently reported on a scientific study testing scentblocking suits. They used bloodhounds to trail people down, and found that the scentblocking suits did nothing to impair the dogs' ability to track them down.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Cheap "ScentLok"

Go here if you want to try carbon suits cheaply , they work as well or better than the expensive ones . At this price you can even consider them disposable . I wear these once the temps go under 40 degrees , just for the insulation anymore , but they soak up a lot of odor too .
Old 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM

I can't see wasteing good money on it when all you have to do is hunt the wind properly and keep yourself as well as your equipment clean and scent free. This you can do for hardly nothing with home remedies. I've been hunting well over 50 yrs. and always get my deer doing this....JMO.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Spike

It looks like a mixed bag on the subject.

I am a bow hunter and here's what works for me: I place my hunting clothes in a Kolpin Gear Bag on the back of my ATV and pin 2 dirt scent wafers on the inside of the bag. When I head in the woods I usually break off a pine branch and rub it on my trousers and shirt. I then drop it on the ground and scrub my boots on it. This method has never failed me and I don't care which way the wind is blowing.

For added protection, I also hang dirt wafers in my P/U just in case I should use it instead of the ATV.

I'm surprised that none of you mentioned the wafers.

Oh yes, I also wash my clothes with odorless detergent and frequently scrub the bottom of my boots.

Quick Reply: scent lock or scent block clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.