Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV advice

Old 01-31-2005, 07:24 AM

Default RE: ATV advice

Guys and Gals,

Can't tell you how much all this has helped me-as many of you have said-buy what 'feels' right for me-I am shopping a Honda right now-I am old fashioned and gear drive appeals to me and even though I like the idea of 'power' I am leaning heavily toward the 400cc instead of the 750cc-probably in acquiensence to the fact that although I like the idea of towing and doing heavy lifting-at my age it is probably more of a pipe dream-I mostly want to get to where I am going and hunt then have a way to get myself and my gear plus harvest back to the truck. Since I hunt alone a lot-I will have to do most of the rassling with the thing. I am looking at the winch-what other accessories would anybody recommend?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:04 PM

Duckstamped,
I am rather late to this conversation. If you have an arctic cat dealer near by, swing in there also. I've got a 2000 500cc 4X4 Arctic. Mine has the gear transmission as I didn't trust a belt drive transmission in a quad to hold up to how I would treat it. I really run this thing hard, mostly pulling logs, hauling trailer loads of firewood, hunting, food plot maintanence and just pleasure riding. Never had a breakdown in 5 years. Starts everytime and runs perfectly. I never run out of power with the 500 cc single cylinder. This quad runs out of traction long before it would run out of power. I can't even bog the motor down pulling firewood or cultivators/discs with it. The racks are really heavy duty and I do like that. I really do think that there are many more excellent quads than there are poor ones. In the end, your decision may come down to one feature that one brand has that the others don't or maybe purchase price will be the deciding factor. I would guess that with all the good choices out there that you will very likely be happy with whatever you try.

Bill the Dog
Old 02-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

what other accessories would anybody recommend?
After a winch the best investment is a set of six ply tires with more aggressive treads.They are much more puncture resistant and will greatly increase your ability to travel through mud or snow.Good tires are mud bugs,gators,mudrunners and mud lites.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:46 AM

Since I hunt alone a lot-I will have to do most of the rassling with the thing. I am looking at the winch-what other accessories would anybody recommend?
Front boot guards, a skidplate ,a basket rack for frt and rear. And i wouldnt be without a small trailer to pull with it. i have a yard cart i converted for my needs but there are lots of manufacters of them now to choose from.

And i will second stubblejumper on good tires. i have super swampers which i believe are 4 ply but i always have a plug kit and 12v compressor near.

Oh and when you get those racks get you a old ammo box and mount it to the rack. awesome water proof holder for things like wallet ,keys, first aid kit and VERY important toilet paper!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Artic Cat this weekend then will make my final decision-any thoughts on Artic Cat
Old 02-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait till ya try starting a Arctic Cat wheeler when its cold. They dont start i have alot of friends that have them and we have a dealer here in town. They are nonstarting piles of $#!?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM

I rode them all before buying. I agree that Honda and Yamaha will probably be the most reliable in the long run. However, what you intend to use it for will determine if one of most reliable is also the best choice for you.

For me, I wanted sufficient seat room to ride double without having to buy a true double seat or side by side. I wanted ground clearance, front locker, Hi-Low, auto, IRS, and comfortable ride.

Honda Rincon was the closest Honda for seat room but the poor engine braking and no locker booted it out. Sweet cruiser but not suited for serious work.

Yamaha Grizzly was Yamahas best fit for my needs. Great seat. guages. locker, power, and handles well for a biggie. Engine idles rough but smooths out once rpms climb. It was one of the final 2 in my pick.

Kawasaki didn't have IRS yet or the BF but I liked it otherwise.

Polaris was never a contender. Although it rides smooth and handles normal trails well, it had poor engine braking and required 4wd for areas the others handled easily in 2wd. Plus it's 4wd system doesn't let you be in control. I also don't like supporting my local service dept. all the time.

No one close handled Bombardier although I like some of their features. Engine vibrates a lot though.

Suzuki didn't have the 700 out yet so it really didn't have what I wanted. The Vinson was nice but a bit small and just as expensive as some of the others.

Arctic Cat was a late addition. I had some friends with them and they loved them. So I went to look. I was impressed. Max ground clearance of 13". MRP racks are awesome, 2" receiver hitch standard, Kawasaki 650 twin for plenty of power, big comfy seat, and 6.5 gal gas tank.

So it got down to the AC 650 and the Grizzly. I could actually get the Grizzly cheaper. But the MRP racks, hitch, ground clearance, and all that smooth v-twin power just sold me. I think I could have been just as happy with the Grizzly but I do really love this Cat.

It doesn't handle as nimble as some of the others. Nor does it turn as tight. But when you get into the really rough and nasty stuff, this thing is a beast. Gotta love that.

Oh, I flip the choke and crank a few turns and it starts every time. Even sitting for weeks in temp in the teens. Guess if that is hard starting, I don't mind it.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one specified engine size the 500 dont have a choke and no they dont start in teen temps. Not even in the garage they dont. I have one in my garage right now its my sisters and tomorow when it is 70 deg in there it will start, but no chance in ____ it will right now!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

polaris 500 sportsman has a choke though[8D]
Old 02-11-2005, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Shootem up870

polaris 500 sportsman has a choke though[8D]
Yeah it chokes in more than one way! [:'(]

Quick Reply: ATV advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.