Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV advice

Old 01-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ATV advice

forget what i said about the polaris. Yeterday i took mine off a steep hill and the thing will not roll!!! it just locks up and slide in low gear. and in high gear the thing doesnt have enough engine brake. i had never had it off any steep hills until yesterday, and if it wont go off hills without running away then i dont want it anymore. Now its for sell and im going to buy me a 2005 honda foreman rubicon 4x4. it seems to be the best out now with a no belt transmission and manual or automatic shift. and the suspension on them are way more softer then the independent on my polaris. I cant wait till i sell my polaris and buy my new honda!!!!
dude read ur owners manual its called engine braking system with other wheelers dont have. helps with stopping on steep hills.

just push on the gas if u want to go fast thats why its there.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

its called engine braking system with other wheelers dont have
If you are trying to say that other quads do not have engine braking you would be incorrect.I have ridden many quads that have engine braking,the best being the honda rubicon with it's hydrostatic transmission.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have rode honda, yamaha, and kawasaki and never felt the engine breaking on hills so i would say that their engine breaking technology isnt as good as polaris IMO
Old 01-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have rode honda, yamaha, and kawasaki and never felt the engine breaking on hills so i would say that their engine breaking technology isnt as good as polaris IMO
Honda and most other companies use "engine braking".I have never had their "engines break" on hills either.I will take your word that no other manufacturer offers "engine breaking" like polaris.Personally ,I prefer that my engines don't break at all.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally ,I prefer that my engines don't break at all.
that is one of my personal preferences too. that is why i would go with polaris. ever had a wheeler underwater completely still runnin? [actually it was in a lake] well anyways the wheeler was still runnin and had to swim back down to shut it off. pulled it out and got by the fire to warm up then 1/2 hour later went back out ridin. this is what u can do with a polaris. try that with a honda. pssh good luck my friend has trouble going through creeks.

im not trying to argue with u about this stubble just letting you know my experiences with different brands of wheelers.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ever had a wheeler underwater completely still runnin? [actually it was in a lake] well anyways the wheeler was still runnin and had to swim back down to shut it off.
So if this machine was completely submerged,how was it getting air to run?I am not aware of any quad that has an internal combustion engine that can run without air.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's because it's not possible, Stubble. LOL If an engine can't breath, it can't run...

My Bombardier has an engine brake. I'd rather it didn't, but all the big ones are coming with them now.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

pulled it out and got by the fire to warm up then 1/2 hour later went back out ridin
Water would have also entered the crankcase and drives since they are vented.That would have required a change of oils or two in order to get the water out.The belt enclosure is also vented and would have filled with water as well in short order,which would have required draining and drying out.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as engine braking is concerned,it is a feature that I do like as I ride in the foothills a lot and steep hills are quite common.Engine braking makes it much simpler to ease a fully loaded quad down these hills.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of course the Polaris line of ATV's is FAR superior to the other manufacturer's! Well, with it's exclusive S.O.M. (submersion operational mode) feature, underwater operation is made possible by means of it's self regenerating, on-board oxygen supply system. The deeper the water, the more oxygen it self generates. (from the makers of the Ginsu knife!)

I personally don't care for the Polaris line due to the fact that the limited output of the S.O.M. forces you to have to replace the O.G. (oxygen generation) capsules too frequently (not cheap!) and these O.G. capsules are not so easily found in the more remote areas we typically operate these ATV's. (O.G.'s should become much easier to get your shriveled hands on once Polaris' original patent runs out and the other inferior manufacturers get their models up to speed and equip their models with some sort of S.O.M. feature - until then, if you don't have a Polaris, you'll just have to stay away from the water!)

The Halls of Justice are calling! "Come in Aquaman!" "Do you read Aquaman? Come in!"

Some stories just seems to be too filled with holes - like 1149 of 'em.

Uncle Matt (sticking to dry land on a Yamaha, in IL)

Quick Reply: ATV advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.