Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV advice

Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ATV advice

IF your wanting a good,tough fourwheeler to work and haul with, get a polaris 700 or 600 twin cylinder sportsman. The sportsmans have rear independent suspension,lifetime belt warranty,a real good engine braking system,plenty of power,on demand 4x4, front differential lock and a nice cushiony seat!!! We recently got a sportsman 700 and the thing is awesome. it pays off when you get into a big mudhole or get into some rough territory. Ive pulled lots of other fourwheelers out of mudholes with it. They come with carlisle badlands tires on them and man do they get great traction.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

RE: ATV advice (in reply to TerryM)

IF your wanting a good,tough fourwheeler to work and haul with, get a polaris 700 or 600 twin cylinder sportsman. The sportsmans have rear independent suspension,lifetime belt warranty,a real good engine braking system,plenty of power,on demand 4x4, front differential lock and a nice cushiony seat!!!
What they don't have is a recoil start which can be invaluable if a battery gets run down in the backwoods.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

forget what i said about the polaris. Yeterday i took mine off a steep hill and the thing will not roll!!! it just locks up and slide in low gear. and in high gear the thing doesnt have enough engine brake. i had never had it off any steep hills until yesterday, and if it wont go off hills without running away then i dont want it anymore. Now its for sell and im going to buy me a 2005 honda foreman rubicon 4x4. it seems to be the best out now with a no belt transmission and manual or automatic shift. and the suspension on them are way more softer then the independent on my polaris. I cant wait till i sell my polaris and buy my new honda!!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:45 PM

More good advice-I went and looked at the honda-pretty sweet
Old 01-09-2005, 02:27 AM

I'd have to agree. I own a 2004 grizzly and a 1999 350 big bear. Both get used daily. My friends all have Polaris's and they've all been to the shop. It's called a grizzly because it's at the top of the food chain.
ORIGINAL: BearGuy.

I have run Yamaha, Polaris, Honda,and Suzuki. I average about 5,000 miles a summer on my 4 wheelers. IMO you can't go wrong with Yamaha or Honda. The one most prone to break down is Polaris. I run a black bear camp and most of my hunters (about 35 a season) bring up 4 wheelers. Polaris is the 4 wheeler I see most go home in need of mechanical assistance, in fact I would say over half of them have some kind of a break down during the week. For your needs I would go with either a Honda Forman, or a Yamaha Kodiak. Both great bikes with pleanty of features.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:31 AM

No way, I own both and the griz at 600 lbs and the big bear at 300+. the griz will if driven right out preform the little bike 9 out of 10 times. Go with Yamaha never a problem.And I beat it up daily.Farm, Hunt, Trap, and food plots.
ORIGINAL: TerryM

At my hunt camp we run Big Bears, Suzukis and a Grizzly 660. The 660 gets bogged down and drowned out where the smaller Big Bears just walk through. The Suzuki has broke down many times.
I would suggest a 400cc class with 500cc as the top range and to avoid a the rubber belt drives if you plan on going through much water. Honda or Yamaha are all I would consider. Make sure you buy a winch and aftermarket tires are also a good upgrade.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I own both and the griz at 600 lbs and the big bear at 300+.
The big bear is actually 500lbs +
Old 01-09-2005, 01:18 PM

I bought a honda 4x4 350 in 1987 and i still use it today man and i mean use it.It was the only purchase I made in my life where i feel I got my moneys worth.I driven other machines but nothin compares to my honda .I consider it the best money i ever spent..
Old 01-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

SPORTSMAN 700. you won't be sorry. everything about it is awesome.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm happy with my 99 yamaha kodiak.If your going to have oppurtunity to ride in steep incline areas I would recommend a quad that you shift so as not to accidently roll it over.An automatic could apply to much power and could possibly flip backwards.

possible but more controlable if manualy shifted.I can put mine in 1st gear and run full throttle with out worring about goosing the throttle or going any faster .With the auto if you feel it loosing power and goose the throttle which could cause it to rear up is what I'm referring to.Just my Opinion as I ridin both types and was able to get front wheels off the ground easier with the auto.

that is just completely not true. u are 10 times as likely to flip with a manual transmission. the automatice transmission doesnt have the sudden jerk of the wheeler like a manual does because u dont need to shift. the jerk is what flips u. i can stop on a steep hill with an aute trans and then ride right up it but if u have a manual u better plan on putting some sand bags on the front rack or ur goin over. [this is with a clutch wheeler]. if u have an auto clutch/manual shift you still will flip if u try to shift up or even down when going up a hill. seen it happen thousands of times. that is why everyone i ride with all have auto wheelers.

anyway ill throw in a vote for the polaris sportsman 500 H.O. regardless of what people have said they are the meanest out there. not too big but not too small. it has a pull start and electric where the bigger sportsman models dont. polaris makes the most durable wheelers. JMO which i have come to after riding all the brands out there.

if u decide not to get a sportsman make sure u get a wheeler with on demand TRUE 4wheel drive. not the 3 1/2 wheel drive most quote on quote 4wheel drive wheelers have.

Quick Reply: ATV advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.