Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Homemade Cover Scent

Old 08-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Homemade Cover Scent

A few years ago I had this idea and so far it's been flawless. I take what we call rich pine or I've heard some people call it pine knots. It's pretty much a pine tree that has died and the sap has become concentrated. When you cut into it it smells strong like pine-sol. We have alot of it in N.C. so it's easy to get. Anyway, I cut this stuff into small chunks, put it in a ziploc bag and poke holes in the bag. I put the bag in a large rubbermaid container with my hunting clothes that have been washed in scentaway laundry detergent. After a few days all your clothes smell like pine. You can sit in the stand all day and they still have a pine scent. All of my buddies are doing the same thing and none of us have been "sniffed out" since. Another advantage we've found mainly when it's colder is that you don't have to wash your camo nearly as often so your clothes last alot longer.

Shane
Old 09-17-2002, 11:40 PM

Default RE: Homemade Cover Scent

Shane,

I read your dicovery using the concentrated pine sap and think its a good idea. I use fresh pulled pine staw and branches and mix my hunting cloths and the pine matter together in a large leaf bag and it too has worked well. As crazy as it sounds I have used cotton balls soaked in pine-sol and place these in the the bag. So far so good. Deer have memorized our sents and anything remotly smelling like us all you may get is a grunt. So,the idea is to cover your sent with a normal sent in which the deer are use to or a attractent that will make them interested.

As a attractent I have used vanilla and deer love it. Just last year before going to my stand I relieved my self by a tree with in view of the stand. Prior to me climing my stand I place a few sent bombs around. Make the story short, the deer I took never made it to the sent bombs. I accually shot the deer in the same spot that I relieved my self. He was more interested in the unformiliar sent? Crazy.

Keep experimenting.

Jason