Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Under Armour Cold Gear

Old 12-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Under Armour Cold Gear

Being a sports nut, I have been deluged by the Under Armour ad campaign. Being a sucker for marketing, I began to wonder how UA would work for hunting. So, I had a spare hundred bucks to blow, so I bought an olive green set of Under Armour Cold Gear compressionwear.

It is hands-down, the best cold weather undergarment I've ever used. When actively moving (carrying treestand/pack for miles) it wicks away and evaporates moisture, and you actually feel relatively dry. My old cotton thermals would stay wet.

In early archery season, I was wearing only my UA shirt bowhunting, with camo pants. As it is form fitting, you look and feel less bulky on stand, and it is warm enough to wear ALONE!

The negative: 1. Since this stuff is so tight, it actually squeezes the hair on your body, bending the hair follicles in random directions, causing them to hurt over long periods of time. It's kinda like if you wear a tight beanie for a long time, when your head gets a little sore. 2. Since it serves to evaporate sweat so rapidly, it enhances the dissipation of human scent. I needed to be a little more careful and reapply my scent killer a bit more often.

Positives: 1. Warm 2. Form fitting 3. Olive is a good enough color to wear alone in early season 4. Dry 5. Doesn't snag easily 6. Keeps ticks out (but they can still get at your head)

If you buy a set, buy one size larger than you'd normally wear, as it is REAL tight.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Under Armour Cold Gear

It's really funny you decided to write this review and even more funny that for the first time I visited this section of the board. It's funny because I was just looking through the Cabelas catalog and I noticed the Under Armour stuff and wondered if it was any good. Thanks to you next year I will know that I need to buy this stuff. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Being the cheapskate that I am, I've wanted to try the Cold Gear, but couldn't bring myself to cough up the dough. So I just kept using my old silk undies and a zillion layers to try to keep warm.

However, the other day I went into Galyans and they had size Medium UA Cold Gear tops for sale @ $24.00 ea. (50% off) I bought two (one for me, one for the hubby).

I absolutely love it. It's very warm. Blows away the silk undies I've been using. Haven't had the hair follicle problem. (I guess I'm not that hairy... thank goodness )

The sizes do run small. The medium fits me fine, but is really a size too small for the husband who can normally squeeze into a medium.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Go to an army surplus and get the polyproplyne they have it wll save you alot of money and it's better stuff.Here's an exaple of the stuff I'm talking about. It will cost you $38 and it's expedition weight.

With the extra $60 dollars you can get yourself a couple of the wool sweaters and some good socks.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:53 AM

I have always wondered about that UA stuff.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a pair of bottoms this fall. I have been rather impressed with them. I used them as a single layer under my wools on "warmer" cold days (around 30 +/-) and with long johns on colder days. I'm a big dude and I thought the 3xl were very comfortable, snug, but comfortable. I wanted to get the top but the 3xl felt tighter and more constrictive so I didn't get them. (i'll lose a little more weight by next year and get a pair) the only complaint i have with the bottoms is they have no fly! It can be hard digging everything out of several layers, especially on a cold day!!

ps - i have cabelas brand "silkies" and Bass Pro "polartec" medium weight top and was pleased with them as well
Old 12-21-2004, 12:24 PM

I would like to just echo eveything that quick said. I also purchased a set for myself this year and they are great. So great that I bought the wife a set for ski season. Be sure to get them one size larger. They are really tight. I actually tried them on at the store where I bought mine, and I needed an XXL instead of XL.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:23 PM

Used to have the hair problem under my diving suits when I was being trained with the Seals. an old gunny showed me how to use lotion that has oatmeal in it. Just rub it on before you put the suit on and it will grealty reduce the ache that comes with wearing the tight fitting stuff.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:15 AM

Hey DUCK, could you elaborate a little more on that lotion? I have the same hairy problem.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:58 AM

Nike also sells Dri-fit , which is basically the same material as the under armour ...little cheaper as well

Quick Reply: Under Armour Cold Gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.