Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

hunting scents

Old 11-08-2004, 07:27 PM

Default hunting scents

I was wondering if one doe in heat scent is better than another . nad how much should one use . just looking for alittle info
Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting scents

I don't use tinks 69, because it seems like everyone where I hunt uses it. I think the deer associate the smell with humans. I try offbrands or some that is bottled locally. Best I ever used is James Valley. Everything else has been kinda so so. Matetricks is not bad.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:30 PM

well i have used scents in the past and have never had ne luck wtih them...the only scent i use it scentaway along with my scentlok clothing.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:31 PM

Give the Wildlife Research Company a try. I have used their elk and mule deer urines with amazing results. We had one cow come in and pick the bottle up in her mouth and throw it all over herself. The mule deer urine i sprinkled on small shrubs and the next day when i came back to the area the shrubs had been bruatilzed by a buck. I haven't used their doe urine yet but i know they make a good product.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

I was wondering if one doe in heat scent is better than another . nad how much should one use . just looking for alittle info
Rush Creek Deer lure is good to.

Thats what I use

http://www.rushcreekdeerlure.com

Here is a Buck that was shot while useing there stuff.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:14 PM

When choosing a scent,The best thing to look at is were the animals are located,that they collect the urine,glands etc. from.Many Deer ,along with other animals may not come into or react to a urine or gland scent,that is collected out west,and used in the east,and vise versa.

I know many will argue this point,but from my experience and testing,I stick by this,Buy A local (By meaning the area ,you intend to hunt/trap etc.)manufactured or collected scent/lure,And you will see a big difference.

But this is just my opinion,and my experiences.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:53 AM

james valley is one of the best i ever used, works well on mulies to.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used some Code Blue doe estrus on Thanksgiving day while rattling. I used those little felt scent things to stick in the bottle and hang on a tree. I'd hang one downwind and rattle. At the first location, I got up a 6 pt. At the next location, I got up an 8 pt. and a 10 pt., then they began fighting a little bit. I could tell they could smell me, but they were just too attracted by the scent to flee. They ignored me and the camera for quite some time. I'll definately use it again.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM

I use the 2-drop supreme or maybe the tarsal supreme for later in the rut. I think it works alot better than just a doe urine.