HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Yamaha 350 Bruin 4X4 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/74735-yamaha-350-bruin-4x4.html)

uncle matt 10-04-2004 07:45 AM

Yamaha 350 Bruin 4X4

Anyone have one of these or know anyone with one?

I will be getting an ATV real soon here and this one (size) seems to fit the bill as it's not huge and heavy like all the 500cc + models, yet has plenty of rack. Dealer wants to deal so I'm starting to shop this week.

I've have and have had Yamaha sleds and have always been happy with them.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

TrophyBux 10-06-2004 12:38 PM

RE: Yamaha 350 Bruin 4X4

I looked at the Bruin long and hard before deciding on the Kodiak 400. I'm quite pleased with my Kodiak, and have heard nothing but good things about the Bruin. I love the ultramatic transmission. Don't know if this helps, just my two cents. Good luck on your decision!

North Texan 10-08-2004 10:20 PM

I really like anything made by Yamaha. I have had my Grizzly for about a year, and it has a little over 1200 miles. Most of them have been from brush busting wotj a 25 gallon spot sprayer. My only complaint is that the oil filter is difficult to get to when changing the oil. Other than that, everything works great. It has bumped over hidden stumps many times and never missed a beat, even with several hundred pounds of gear. It is a very sturdy, stable machine, and I would bet that the Bruin is no exception.

Indiana Dude 10-09-2004 10:06 AM

Hey matt, my wife has a 350 Bruin 4x4. So far it has been a very rugged reliable machine.
The only thing I`m not so sure about is heavy towing. I have a Kodiak 450 so any
hauling we do is done with the Kodiak.
The Bruin seems to struggle with a heavy load because it doesnt have a low range,
but I`m talking about big loads. I wouldnt worry a bit about throwing a deer on the
rack and headed to camp.
Just something to think about if you are wanting to do alot of towing, working. The Kodiak
is much better suited for work.
Good luck!!:)

Hunt0133 10-12-2004 05:03 PM

One of my good friends bought the 4x4 Bruin right when it came out. Its a good four wheeler and holds up pretty good off-road but that automatic transmission doesn't give as much torque or as much top end speed as say a Honda Rancher with electric shift or foot shift.

Hiawatha 10-14-2004 09:09 AM

The bruins look like a pretty nice bike. I have a 350 Big Bear and it has performed well for me but it is reaching its life expectancy. What about the Big Bear 400's i believe they are relatively new. They seem to be a bit on the heavy side but are a great looking bike. Also i believe these are still shaft driven which is an asset in my books. I would say you couldn't go wrong with the bruin or the BB. Good luck.

DougMD 10-14-2004 10:23 AM

I'm about to get a camo Kodiak 4x4 auto. You should really look into these before deciding on the bruin...

TerryM 10-19-2004 01:57 PM

I am on my second big bear 350. The first one served me well for 15 years of hard hunting ( dragging moose, deer and bear out of the bush) and 2 of my hunting partners also run 350 big bears. We also use them to skid timbers out when cutting firewood. My only concern with the bruin would be the automatic (belt) transmission. At my camp the only failures we ever get are from belt drives that suck in water and mud. If you don't go through much water and mud the bruin will likely drag or carry anything you dare to kill on this continent!

Hiawatha 10-19-2004 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

My only concern with the bruin would be the automatic (belt) transmission. At my camp the only failures we ever get are from belt drives that suck in water and mud.
BINGO!!!!!!

Indiana Dude 10-19-2004 10:15 PM

You hear a lot about belts getting wet etc. but the intake for the belt is at about the same
height as the intake for the carb so as long as your not in water rack-deep, then you are
fine.
I can only speak for yamahas, but if you have a belt get wet and havent gone thru
water that has come over the fenders then you have a duct hose that has come off.