Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Field dressing equipment?

Old 09-30-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Field dressing equipment?

How many of you folks use a "special" field dressing kit versus what you already have in your kitchen and use for regular cooking?

I am asking because my butchering jobs last year went slower than I wanted and I was wondering if any of those kits I see will help speed things up. I have decent kitchen knives and the like, but I didn't have a bone saw, a skinning knife (with cutting hook and really wide belly), or anything else. I just used a big knife and boned all of the bones out. It took a lot of time.

Chubber
Old 09-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Field dressing equipment?

Field dressing all I use is a 3.5" folding hunting knife and a sagen pelvis saw(optional). If not mounting I split the brisket to make FD and Trach removal easier/faster, a saw will work quicker and safer here - again this isn't required, you can do the reach and grab method as well).

For processing deer I only use my bone saw for removal of the hoofs, the rest is done with sharp boning knives. I remove the Tloins immediately upon skinning to prevent any skin over or drying. I hang mine rear down and start boning with the front shoulders, I then release both hams and do the backstrap, flank, neck and rib meat. I finish off by doing the rears. Personally I rarely split the backbone on deer, but if you want to a recip saw or meat saw will work for doing it this way. I steel often throughout the processing procedures to ensure I have a good edge.

So to answer your question I guess it depends on how you want to process the game. For me the gut hook blade or sheers is not something I have ever used or found of particular interest. A good knife, saw and steel is really all one needs. In time you will become more proficent at each task and will find equipment/ways to make it easier.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usaly use a only a utility knife and gloves for guttting my deer . I cut around and pull through.
For buchering I use several SHARP knives and a meat cleaver and a long metal blade on the sawall for cuting bones
Old 09-30-2004, 05:07 PM

Field dressing - deer: I just use a cheap, sharp 3 inch folding knife and a Stanley folding saw (utility saw).

Field dressing - moose: Two good quality, well sharpened knives with something to re-sharpen when needed. For skinning, a good quality well sharpened skinning knife with something to re-sharpen when needed.

For boning in field - I use the above. At home, for boning and butchering, I use my kitchen knives.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest to get a good boning knife to help you do the job. The regular hunting knife is fine for skinning but a good quality boning knife would be a much better choice for doing the job. The kits they sell looks good but it all depends on the quality of the steel. The knife has to hold an edge to do a good job. Good Luck..
Old 10-02-2004, 05:52 AM

On field dressing the only change I have mad in recent years is the addition of a Sagen saw to split the brisket and pelvic bone to make it easier to completely and cleanly remove all innards. For boning have at least one (two is better) boning knives 5 or 6 inch curved Forschners is what I use. I never use a saw any more other than the Sagen in the field. Simply use the boning knife as already mentioned to bone it all out. The advice about boning it hanging is easy also.