Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Summit Bullet Backpack Review...

Old 09-27-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Summit Bullet Backpack Review...

Summit Bullet Backpack...how do I like it?

I really like it. I wanted the backpacker because I didn't like the awkward feel when carrying my cousin's Viper X4. Seems the weight behind you and that much more away and out from your back makes the Viper X4 feel heavier than it actually is. The Backpack Bullet is a lot tighter to your back which in turn makes the 22 pound Bullet feel lighter than the 20 pound Viper X4. That...and being that the frame and cables don't stick out so far behind you, it is less likely to hang up on branches and such in the tighter woods.

Setup...when you goto setup and you fold the braces down, you have to secure them with a knob. One on the climber/seat...and one on the platform. When folding it down as it makes contact there is a little noise but nothing real bad as the metal makes contact. I am going to put some moleskin on those contact areas to eliminate that noise factor. Setup is easy.

Climbing...I'm a heavy guy (230) and I choose to sit on the rail. No problem. I can do it the other way also but choose not to as I get a little winded by the end of the climb to be honest with you. It is a good climber. As with any climber, all ya gotta do is make sure that with each "step up" the cleats are seated real good into the tree and it's pretty solid. The rapid climb stirrups are great. I like them a lot. There is a bungie cord that goes across there that just hooks back to itself with a "S" hook. You just put your feet in front of that (while facing the tree) and pull it back with the back of your boot and slide your toe into the stirrup opening. Works pretty slick. Once up there...you take your foot out...and then slide the bungie up the rail and out of the way. Personally...I don't trust just the "S" hook so I will as a zip tie to make sure that don't accidentially come undone and fall to the ground. If it fell...then that would make climbing down a pain. I'd recommend that to anybody with the new Rapid Stirrup setup...ziptie that baby!

Once your up there...setup is a breeze and pretty quiet. You may want to adjust your seat down some before you go up high. The seat is REALLY REALLY comfortable.

I believe that it is the same stand as the Viper X4 once setup with maybe one exception which is the foot rest. So everything you hear about the Viper once it's in the tree will be about the same as you'd expect from a Bullet.

Another thing I did was shorten the rope a little that holds the 2 parts together when climbing to keep the bottom from falling away from you. In the instructions it says to wrap each end around each frame twice and secure. Well..I wrap each end 3-4 times instead.

Finally...This is a supersweet stand. I was hesitant to try one since my old Cougar Claw. I always believed and still do really that having the folding seat on the platform part is a much better setup for studyness (spellin'?). The only problem with my old Cougar Claw was setup...the old flat bar style...real loud...and a pain. Also, this new Bullet I got is 100 times more comfortable than any stand I ever sat in.

Comfort: 10
Setup: 9
Climbing: 9
Packing: 9 Once you figure it out...it ain't bad
Sturdiness: 8

Overall: 9
Old 09-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Summit Bullet Backpack Review...

I agree with you 100%. I bought the Bullet Backpacker last year & have been as happy as could be with it. I sold my old stand after the first morning I sat in the Bullet. Easy to set up & very comfortable. All I can say is great product. I do want to add a foot rest.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

My. Alias this is quite a helpful review. I had read nice things about this stand and so I ordered a few. But I had never read anything as in-depth and nicely done as this. Thanks for a very fine post.

QUESTION: You see to think sturdiness is the weakest thing about the stand. Could you explain this a bit more?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Swampmonster

My. Alias this is quite a helpful review. I had read nice things about this stand and so I ordered a few. But I had never read anything as in-depth and nicely done as this. Thanks for a very fine post.

QUESTION: You see to think sturdiness is the weakest thing about the stand. Could you explain this a bit more?

Thanks...very much

The stand is sturdy. Some heavier people say than litterally stand on a corner of a treestand and jump...well...I would not recommend that with any of todays treestands. I did however have an old Cougar Claw stand...compared to that stand...which was rock solid even with my big butt on it...that one you could and I did test that theory. The platform had the seat built into it..it folded up and then was secured to the tree. There was NO weight transfer when you stand because all your weight was already on the platform section. This was the old style Cougar Claw that has the 2 self tappers (which were replacable) which bade the bite to the tree. Was the old flat bar style though and was noisey. Cables are much better. Anyways...take it from a big guy...nothin' compares in sturdyness to that old Cougar Claw I had...I just wish that I could get another but as comfortable as a Summit and with cables.

No stand deserves a 10. I'd rate any of these new Summits no less than any other stand...including my old Cougar Claw.