Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

4 wheeler gun carrier

Old 09-02-2004, 01:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default 4 wheeler gun carrier

I have only hunted with a 4 wheeler once, and then just used the sling of rifle across my shoulder. I did not like it bouncing around. This yr am buying a couple four wheelers, and want to know the best way to carry your rifle. I have seen the plastic carriers that you actually put the gun into like a sleeve and mount it lengthwise on side of the 4 wheeler. Also have seen guys carry their gun in their soft case mounted on front sideways, and also seen pictures of the plastic gripper clamps that you actually grip the gun. Are the secure, and will the mar up the gun? Anybody have any experience/insight into this?
Old 09-04-2004, 04:13 PM

Default RE: 4 wheeler gun carrier

I have the plastic gun case that mounts into a holder and keeps my guns inside of the fenders where they won't get damaged. Padded case will accept both shotgun and scoped rifle. Case will lock into position via lock-pin and case is lockable and suitable for airline travel.
I feel that a gun carried across the front and extending outside of the ATV's width is an accident looking for a tree to make it a reality....
Old 09-04-2004, 11:03 PM

I have two kolpin gun boots. best thing i ever put on my atv's! i know they are expensive but they are worth every dime!
Get you some!
Old 09-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have two kolpin gun boots. best thing i ever put on my atv's! i know they are expensive but they are worth every dime
They have also damaged many riflescopes.In almost all cases the scope will bottom out in the kolpin gun boot before the barrel.The result is that all of the weight is on the scope and the scope is exposed to a great deal of abuse when riding over rough terrain.I have seen many scopes knocked off zero and two scope tubes actually damaged for this reason.The only way to eliminate this problem is to stuff the end of the gun boot with material untill the barrel bottoms out before the scope.If this is done the gun boot works great.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the koplin gun boot IV that has the soft cases inside the hard case. I used it last year in quebec on a moose hunt. My 350 mag was still dead on after riding in the case for 8 days and over 100 miles.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:38 PM

Spend a little more and get a Kolpin.

Darrell
Old 09-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just have the little plastic grippers on mine. I like them because I can access the gun quickly and easily if I need to. I had a gun boot on an older ATV, but I didn't like it that well. My gun didn't need the extra protection and it was hard to make a quick shot if the opportunity presents itself.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:15 PM

Just a couple of comments, mostly repeating what others have said.

You absolutely must get a hard case, with proper mounting - like a Kolpin. They are only about $35 and well worth it. I'm even at the point where I think it's stupid to carry a gun on a 4 wheeler any other way.

Yes, there is a tendancy, with scoped rifles, for the scope to lodge against the case. First, I'll say that this has never been a problem for me, but I mostly use my Kolpin for boating, trucks and air travel, not 4 wheeling too much. But it gets tossed and bumped plenty. My scope has never gotten messed up ... yet.

ON THE OTHER HAND , after several years of using the Kolpin, last fall I finally figured out the danger of the way my gun's scope set in it (DUH!!). I made a spacer for the end of the barrel out of a cushion-y blob of some tough rubber foam material I had in the garage, wrapped it up with duct tape so it would slide through the fuzzy lining into the case. The tape also toughened it so the barrel of the gun wouldn't pierce the foam. Also fastened a long string to it (running out of the case and taped where I could reach it) so I could pull the blob out when not needed.

By the way, the way my scoped rifle sits in the kolpin, I can put a box of 20 shells in the "butt end" of the case. Takes up just the right enough space to keep the rifle from sliding that way and also is a proper way to transport a box of shells on the airline (case locked after inspection, of course). No chance of getting there w/o the shells I want to use.

I find the Kolpin much handier than any other soft or hard case I have for every use - cars, boats, etc. It's as convenient as a soft case in terms of access to the gun and size, but as protective as a hard case.

Although it is not water proof when submerged, it will definitely protet the gun from getting soaked from splashes and rain in a boat.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:45 PM
LY

We started out using the gun boots but have since switched to the Pack Rack holders. They're basically rubber coated ubolts clamped to the handle bars. I like them because it easy to get your gun on and off and in the offseason all I have to do is unscrew the holder part from the base and just leave the base in place. they also work great for carrying shovels and the like for workdays.

I liked the gunboots, but one of the reasons for getting them was that they're water proof and will keep the rifle dry. But that only works til you take it out to hunt with it. Then once you put it back in the boot it gets the inside of the boot wet and it takes awhile for it to dry out. It would rain one weekend and for the next couple my rifle would be wet evertime I took it out. I just didn't like having my rifle getting wet for weeks after hunting in the rain.

LY
Old 09-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Saskatchewan it is law to have a Weapon(Gun or Bow) encased when riding a ATV. The only safe and real option is the Koplin Gun Boot IMO. SJ gave advice that is right on and should be applied not just in and out your ears. I now have one that has the neoprene sleeve which is a great improvement to the fur but still have the bottom end stuffed so the barrel is taking the brunt not scope.

Quick Reply: 4 wheeler gun carrier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.