Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cabelas vs Bass Pro Shop

Old 05-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cabelas vs Bass Pro Shop

I feel that if one were to walk into a Cabelas with street clothes on and plan a hunting trip anywhere in the world he/she could get all the equipment they needed plus book a hunt at the same time and in relatively short order. I think Bass Pro shop pales in comparism but offers serious fishing equipment. WHich of the 2 are best in your opinion ?. Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas vs Bass Pro Shop

I would have to agree with you 100% when it comes to Cabela’s except on booking for a hunting trip. I wasn’t aware of that. I will say this, the customer service from Cabela’s is exceptional but you probably know that already.

I wouldn’t be able to comment on Bass Pro because I’ve never been there but I do think that Bass Pro does tailor more to fishing supplies as you mentioned although they do have some hunting supplies. I would have to go way down south to see a Bass Pro shop. Maybe some day.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Customer service is exceptional but so is their prices on a lot of things. Still to me its the best outdoor store available. I live near a BAss Pro shop but I can go thru the gun and ammo dept in 10 minutes. I could probably spend hours in a well stocked one were it available.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:27 PM

Cabelas is alot better too in my opinion. I love both shops but Cabelas just seems to be better. I'm not saying Bass Pro sucks because I love that store too.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:32 PM

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and I'm about 100 or so miles from the BP in Springfield, and the same for the new one in OKC. I retired from a local police department not long ago and elected to take my retirement money in one lump sum (big mistake, tax wise!!!!). Anyway, I had some funds that were burning a hole in the check book so I decided to go get some equipment that I'd been wanting, and that would last me a lifetime. Off to Springfield to went. After driving an hour and a half to get there, I spent the next hour shopping. Not once did any employee ask if they could help me. Now remember, I had well over $1,000.00 in my pocket. I finally went up to a couple of employees and interrupted their conversation about what they did the past weekend and asked if where a certain item was. The salesman lied to me and told me that the item I was asking for wasn't made. Now I've seen that item in darn near every mail order book there is so I knew he was lying. I said thank you, and left the store, driving back to Tulsa.

The next morning, I climbed into my truck and drove to Mitchell, South Dakota to Cabela's. (yes, I know there are a couple closer in Nebraska but it was faster to take the interstate all the way to SD, and the new one in KC wasn't built yet). Anyway, my experience was very satisfying, and I spent almost 1,300.00 there in one trip. By the way, the item that "isn't made" was right there and I bought it.

So, I'll shop Cabelas any day before I darken the doorway to a Bass Pro Shop again. I'm hoping the rumor that Cabelas is looking to open in Tulsa becomes a reality soon. If not, I'll drive the 300 miles to KC before I'll drive 100 to BPS.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:25 PM

I've shopped at both. Not all the salesman are very knowledgeable, but usually I know what I am looking for when I go there or order on-line. I would much rather depend on the expertise from myself and the members of these forums than the opinions of some kid who just came out of training and has never been in the woods a day in his life. Other than that, they usually have a pretty good selection of things I purchase every year.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:08 AM

I enjoy both stores and their respective catalogs. However, at the end of the day, I prefer Cabelas. In my opinion, their customer service is better. In regards to their private label items, I think that the Cabela's brand in generally of a better quality than the Red Head line. Just my thoughts though!!!!
Old 05-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Cabelas!!
Old 05-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas all the way. I have been to both and I have to agree with everyone above about Cabelas. I could spend days at the one in Dundee MI. I been there once but I will get back.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Comparing Cabela's to Bass Pro is not much of a brain strain. Seen both catalogs, been to both stores, as far as I'm concern unless your looking for spin fishing equipment Cabela's is an across the board winner. No contest.

Quick Reply: Cabelas vs Bass Pro Shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.