HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   white tail deer decoy...when...how (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/54714-white-tail-deer-decoy-when-how.html)

imgeetus 03-02-2004 07:07 AM

white tail deer decoy...when...how

anyone use deer decoys? I got one for christmas, can be used with or without antlers. You can break it down and store the limbs inside the body cavity. I heard they work great, but when to use them, when do you use the antlers? when dont you use the antlers? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you

PABowhntr 03-02-2004 10:02 AM

RE: white tail deer decoy...when...how

I have limited experience with decoying for deer. I have used one on several occasions but always with mixed results. I, obviously, have not gotten it down to the science that many others have.

Some basic suggestions would be to keep the decoy outside for a few days before placing it in the field to get rid of much of the human scent. Also spraying it with odor eliminator and wearing gloves when setting it up is normally recommended. Some folks also attach a small white rag to the tail area. This serves two purposes...One, you get some movement if the breeze picks up. That makes the decoy look more realistic. Two, you can apply some scent to it so that, again, it appears more realistic.

Most folks also recommend that you face the decoy broadside from your position so that when a deer comes to either mount it or fight with it then the deer will also be in a broadside position.

imgeetus 03-02-2004 11:38 AM

Thank you very much for your input.

Kyler 03-11-2004 09:52 PM

I have used a buck decoy over the years and have had good success with it.

Definitely let it air out and soak it with scent eliminator once you set it in place. I also add a good amount of dominant buck urine on it as well. Wear rubber gloves when handling as well. Scent control is a must.

With the buck decoy, I generally, face the buck right towards me. Generally other bucks will come at it broadside or straight on. The one thing is when they are walking in, they are kind of hard to stop to get a shot at them. The best part about it, is watching the live buck display by puffing his hair out, laying his ears back and watching him approach in an aggresive manner to the deek. When the live buck goes into this mode, you can almost do jumping jacks in your stand and they won't look up at you. You can really get a way with a lot of movement at this point. Drawing your bow etc.

The negative, is that the does don't like the deeks. They freak out because the deek never moves and always stares in the same spot making them nervous. They will almost always run off.

You can also set up the deek with brush on one side so the buck will circle around past you etc. I have often times placed logs and sticks etc on one side of the deek so I can control the route the live buck takes toward the deek. Keep in mind scent control when doing this.

It's an extra effort to get the deek there but it can pay off in big dividends.

Also, never the leave deek standing or even laying down in sight when you aren't around. You don't want to educate the local deer to the new intruder.

Good luck.

Good luck