HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   [Deleted] (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/53449-deleted.html)

Deleted User 02-18-2004 03:39 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

MOTurkeyTamer 02-18-2004 04:08 PM

RE: Gut hook knife blades?

I have been using a Buck Zipper w/ the Sure Grip handle for several years now. The gut hook works like a charm on deer. You can really open up the cavity quickly without cutting into something you're not supposed to! I highly recommend them.

JagMagMan 02-18-2004 05:09 PM

They do work good, I just don't need it!

deerhuntress56 02-18-2004 05:24 PM

:)I use what is called a "Wyoming Knife"........is the greatest knife for cleaning game. Just start a hole, insert the "hook" and make ONE clean sweep!!:D Cabelas has them now!! Took me over a year to find my first 14 years ago!!;)

skeeter 7MM 02-18-2004 08:06 PM

I have always found the guthooks like the buck zipper posted ball up and really aren't a great benefit( maybe it is just our fat canadian whitetails). For deer I don't use a gut hook. I have used the Wyoming Knife and it works. I do have big gut hook as part of my Kershaw Blade Trader set and it works very nicley on Moose and Elk, it has a very sizeable gut hook will not ball up(I imagine it would be just fine for deer and other game as well). It actually doubles as a skinner blade so I have found it to be quite useful.

Otis you might want to look into the Kershaw Blade Trader, it comes with the guthook/skinner, drop blade, Saw, handle and case for around 100 bucks. You can also buy other blades for like a fillet knife, chef knife, etc. I have really become found of mine it has an excellent nonslip handle on it, blades sharpen and hold edge nicely...for the money it is a pretty decent setup.

WAYNE1 02-18-2004 08:11 PM

I've owe'd several of them...and have been dissatisfied with them....but then maybe it's the user....and not the knife[:@]

Bldhound 02-18-2004 11:11 PM

I have not had a problem with mine...................but I sharpen the hook after I use it.

doughboysigep 02-19-2004 10:16 AM

I used mine (wooden handled Buck like pictured above) for the first time this year and thought it worked ok. I had a bit of trouble getting it started, but once in it cut well. I could definitely see it not working on a deer with a lot of fat. Mine was a 120# doe with average fat. If the deer was any bigger or fatter I don't think it would have worked.

ps - as i stated before in another thread - the handle gets awefully slippery when wet and I don't think the rubbber handle (more like plastic) would be much better, needs to be a softer rubber that gives when you grip

Shootem up870 02-19-2004 06:40 PM

i have one on my ka-bar knife. it was $40 at gander mountain and the gut hook really works for me

Wingbone 02-22-2004 06:53 AM

While they may work well, I've never understood the need for a gut-hook on a drop-point blade. It's redundant. I've never had a problem opening up the paunch with a well designed drop-point without nicking the stomach or intestine. I think they ruin the simetry of the blade.

Hiawatha 02-24-2004 10:56 AM

Skeeter.... i also have that kershaw blade trader knife and i think its the best thing since sliced bread. Its unbveliavable how those blades hold an edge. When i am skinning beavers i usually had to sharpen up every few beavers i did but not with the kershaw knife. I haven't really used the saw blade to much because i just use a hand bone saw or our electric meat saw. We slaughtered a beef last week and i let my dad try my kershaw knife and i was using my old timer,,, he didn't want to give me the knife back. And ya that is a massive gut hook on that skinner blade and she works like a charm. But if you have a good sharp knife with a slim blade you can split the hide on the legs and down the middle just as fast. Just put the blade in and work it all the way down in one motion.

James B 02-24-2004 08:44 PM

Wyoming Knife work great.

dep214 02-26-2004 02:23 AM

the 2 best knives i have seen are the buck and the kershaw.bucks just lose their edge too quick but they are the best made. knowing how to use a guthook makes cleaning alot faster.the only prob you will run into is finding someone to sharpen the guthook. i can sharpen a knife but not the hook.

Bill the Dog 02-26-2004 03:08 PM

Otis,
I have the buck pictured in a previous post. I think it's a really good knife. The handle is soft rubber and hasn't slipped for me. I really like the gut hook as, for me, it's easier to use than the traditional way of putting the drop hook onto my finger and running it along the paunch. My Buck has done two elk and 1 and 1/2 deer and it now needs sharpening. I'll send it off to Buck to sharpen as they'll do it for free (I pay shipping though).
Overall, I really like the knife and the only one I'd replace it with would be a folding Buck with a drop point, gut hook and saw that Cabelas sells for about $80.

Bill the Dog

DJBAD 02-26-2004 03:58 PM

i think the gut hook was a great idea makes it easier and you dont hit anything you really shouldnt

huntal 03-20-2004 04:45 PM

I PRESONALLY DONT USE A HOOK. I KNOW POEPLE THAT DO AND I AM TWICE AS FAST WITH BUCK.

mammasboy 03-20-2004 05:33 PM

any experience with the gerber gator with gut hook?

Shootem up870 03-24-2004 05:48 PM

i got a ka-bar with a gut hook and it works nice for me

wahunterinrok 03-24-2004 08:22 PM

I've had one for afew years and have nothing but good luck with it. I love it and think I will always have one in my possesion.

johnkeltgen 03-24-2004 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: mammasboy

any experience with the gerber gator with gut hook?
I've owned a Gerber Gator for God knows how many years, always loved and stood bythe knife. I've never used one with a gut hook. I can gut an animal faster without. However, I am of the mind that gut hooks are a real asset to younger, inexperienced, and older hunters. I feel that gut hooks are safer for the real young hunters out there, for inexperienced hunters I think that the gut hook will help them with their first few animals until they get "the feel" of gutting an animal, and I know for my father (an older hunter) the gut hook is helpful because his hands start shaking on occasion.

Gobbling Buck 03-25-2004 01:53 AM

otis......I've used a gut hook for about 15 years now and like them. I've used everything from Gerber, Buck, Schrade, to an old paratrooper knife. One thing that hasn't been mentioned in any of the previous posts, when using one go in the direction of the hair. It makes it easier. That may be common sense to most, but if your new at it, it may help.

Power 03-30-2004 12:35 AM

I use the Browning with the blade, guthook/blade, saw combo. Great folding knife and I do use the guthook for both deer and elk. It just speeds up the process with no worry about a screw up. Plus it keeps the main blade sharp for more important duties next.