Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

[Deleted]

Old 02-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-18-2004, 04:08 PM

Default RE: Gut hook knife blades?

I have been using a Buck Zipper w/ the Sure Grip handle for several years now. The gut hook works like a charm on deer. You can really open up the cavity quickly without cutting into something you're not supposed to! I highly recommend them.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

They do work good, I just don't need it!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:24 PM

I use what is called a "Wyoming Knife"........is the greatest knife for cleaning game. Just start a hole, insert the "hook" and make ONE clean sweep!! Cabelas has them now!! Took me over a year to find my first 14 years ago!!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have always found the guthooks like the buck zipper posted ball up and really aren't a great benefit( maybe it is just our fat canadian whitetails). For deer I don't use a gut hook. I have used the Wyoming Knife and it works. I do have big gut hook as part of my Kershaw Blade Trader set and it works very nicley on Moose and Elk, it has a very sizeable gut hook will not ball up(I imagine it would be just fine for deer and other game as well). It actually doubles as a skinner blade so I have found it to be quite useful.

Otis you might want to look into the Kershaw Blade Trader, it comes with the guthook/skinner, drop blade, Saw, handle and case for around 100 bucks. You can also buy other blades for like a fillet knife, chef knife, etc. I have really become found of mine it has an excellent nonslip handle on it, blades sharpen and hold edge nicely...for the money it is a pretty decent setup.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owe'd several of them...and have been dissatisfied with them....but then maybe it's the user....and not the knife[:@]
Old 02-18-2004, 11:11 PM

I have not had a problem with mine...................but I sharpen the hook after I use it.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used mine (wooden handled Buck like pictured above) for the first time this year and thought it worked ok. I had a bit of trouble getting it started, but once in it cut well. I could definitely see it not working on a deer with a lot of fat. Mine was a 120# doe with average fat. If the deer was any bigger or fatter I don't think it would have worked.

ps - as i stated before in another thread - the handle gets awefully slippery when wet and I don't think the rubbber handle (more like plastic) would be much better, needs to be a softer rubber that gives when you grip
Old 02-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have one on my ka-bar knife. it was $40 at gander mountain and the gut hook really works for me
Old 02-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

While they may work well, I've never understood the need for a gut-hook on a drop-point blade. It's redundant. I've never had a problem opening up the paunch with a well designed drop-point without nicking the stomach or intestine. I think they ruin the simetry of the blade.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.