Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Vari -X II or III?

Old 02-13-2004, 06:10 AM

Default Vari -X II or III?

The wife said to get a new scope, and I've got my eye on a Leupold. I can't decide between the vari-X II or III, 40 or 50 mm objective. "Some" people say that there is no difference in overall clarity between a 50 mm Vari-X II, and a 40 mm Vari-X III. There is quite a price difference between the two. I would like some advice/opinions before I make this decision. The scope will be mounted on a Rem. .270.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Vari -X II or III?

I have several vari-x III 50mm scopes and i have one vari-x II 50mm. I'm no scope expert but the III is suppose to have a better lense than the II but to be completely honest with you i can't really tell any difference in the two just by looking through them as far as clarity goes and i don't think you will either. Leupold makes great optics and i think you will be satisfied with which ever one you choose. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold just came out with the VX III to replace the Vari X III, so take a look at those also. I'd stick with the 40mm if it were me. And actually, I have a 3.5-10x40 VX III on order right now. I think in the long run you'd be happier with the 40mm. It'll give you plenty of light to shoot with during legal hours. Also, consider the Zeiss Conquest. The 3-9x40 is less than a comparable Leupold and the Conquest is a very good scope. I've got two of them and they're better than any Vari X III I've ever owned.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

40-50mm will have no difference in clarity on the same model(ie:VXII 40mm or VXII 50mm). It will give you 2% more light gathering capabilities! Is this important and worth extra, only you can decide. My best advice is try a 40mm and 50mm at fading light times to see if it will matter to your hunting situation and eyes. Also keep in mind the mount height it will require to for a 50mm and if that will cause shooting form problems. If so then 40mm is the way to go. Some guys swear by either, so I believe it is more personal than functional for the mpst part.

As to which scope I would choose if funds allow the new VXIII in whatever size objective you want. It will be both clearer & brighter than the VXII, offers many enhancements and comes from the rock solid Vari X III line, which was lagging in technology the past few years but has always been regarded as a good solid scope. If your talking Vari XII or Varix III, then the III(in case your finding it used or on ebay, etc) would be my choice hands down. Also it is always better to buy better glass(ie VXIII 40mm) in a smaller objective than bigger objective in lower quality of glass(ie: VXII 50mm), again when determining budget and options.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:59 AM

Just like Solitary Man said, the Leupold Vari-X III's have been discontinued and are being replaced by the new VX-III's with some great new features. Also, the VX-II has been updated for 2004 and now offer basically the same lens coatings and feature of the old Vari-X III.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
Old 02-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jon, is that you? I can't wait till the VX III arrives. Thanks for your quick service and very reasonable price.

Danny
Old 02-13-2004, 12:16 PM

Danny,

I did not realize that Solitary Man was you. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think of it.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
Old 02-13-2004, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'll probably go with the 2004 VX III 4X12X40 B&C recticle. --I like to split hairs.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used a Vari-X III so I don't know if there is a difference or not.I will say I have a few Vari-XII's 3x9x40mm and have been quite satisfied with them.I have one of the Original Redfield Illuminator 3x9x50mm. To me there is NOT a nickels worth of difference between the bigger objective.Unless that money is burning a hole in your pocket I would go with the 40mm.Another thing with the 50mm you'll have to go with higher rings.I like to keep my scope as low as possible.
Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Vari -X II or III?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.