Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Advice on cheap scope

Old 01-25-2004, 04:28 PM

Default RE: Advice on cheap scope

Save Up! Get a Zeiss. They invented the riflescope.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a difference of about $400.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:18 PM

I wish I had money to throw around and buy a Zeiss. I know alot of fellow Saskatchewan deer hunters that have taken trophy bucks with regular everyday scopes ie Bushnell, Tasco, simmons. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Zeiss on my Tikka but is it necessary, no not for me.
Cheers!!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:25 AM

You may know where to get a 4200 cheaper than I do, but I see them from $400 -$450.

The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 will cost you $429.99
Here are a few things to consider
Transferrable Lifetime Warranty
Constant 4" eye Relief 4200= 3.3" (others float as you adjust the magnification)
64" of Adjustment 4200= 50"
Diopter Adjustment 4200= No
Other features that turned my head are;
Etched on glass reticles, Crosshairs can't be damaged by recoil

I point this out because I hate to see anyone waste their money, as I have. I 've thrown away enough of the stuff built in Tiawan and the Phillipines to buy a couple of those $1600 scopes and then some. I have found that dollar for dollar my money has best been spent on the Conquest. BTW they're assembled in New York.
Check out their specs.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Have you ever considered a fixed 4 or 6 power scope? In other words, not a variable? The Leupold M8 4X and 6X scopes usually go for no more than $225 or so. Check them out at www.bearbasin.com . You probably would be able to get along just fine without a variable and a Leupold fixed power would be all the quality you would need. I shot a caribou at 250 yards with a Leopold M8 6 power scope. Good luck
Old 01-26-2004, 09:39 AM

I would have to say "Don't Do it" also. Save your money and wait until you can get the Elite 4200. You will be happier in the long run.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
Old 01-26-2004, 10:30 AM

Just say no! I personally would save your $ till you get the scope you want. I have had good luck over the years buying used high end scopes at reputable pawn shops--it is another option you might consider (I've bought more than a dozen this way) Also, look for retailers dumping outdated/older models--if you have time to shop around, you can usually find a good deal. I would absolutely stay away from Tasco--I've had to send back 3 of their scopes. High end simmons are OK--IMO, the eye relief is not as much as I like. I'm primarily a leupold fan though I have have had good luck with nikons and most of the burris scopes I have owned. I'm told the weaver grand slam scopes are alot of scope for the money. You might also look at them.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

a 2x7 leupold vx1 goes for $179...also look at a bushnell trophy or 3200
Old 01-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Since your question was which scope instead of if or if not to buy a scope, Here is my take on it. The Swift Premier, the Nikon Pro Staff and the 2x7 Luepold VX-l will run 150-175 for any of the three. They will hold up well and shoot very well for many years. I have had them all. The Bushnell Banner 3x9 x40 will do a good job for around 100.00 The Chuck Hawks site ( If thats whats its called) rates the Banner as a very good scope for the money. Everyone would like to be able to go throw 500-1000 bucks for a scope but if you can't LIKE ME. You will not be handi-capped by any of the ones I have used here. A less expensive scope is much better than chasing the game on foot and trying to kill it with a rock. However some here would not agree.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:51 PM

chuckhawks.com is a great site for anyone looking to buy guns, scopes, etc; all kinds of usefull info, including ballistics tables for handgun and rifle cartridges.

Quick Reply: Advice on cheap scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.