HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Rocky Pro Hunter Quad Parka (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/48968-rocky-pro-hunter-quad-parka.html)

Ballistictip 01-10-2004 07:27 PM

Rocky Pro Hunter Quad Parka

Just bought myself a new Rocky Pro hunter Quad Parka this week. I'll start out by saying that I'm one of the biggest wimps around when it comes to being cold. During the hunting season when the temps fall below 35 degrees I wear polypropelene thermals, jogging pants, standard camo pants, and insulated bibs. Upper body gets the poly thermals, a heavy sweatshirt, medium weight jacket, and a heavy coat. The coldest weather I hunted in this season was 27 degrees and I was freezing within 20 minutes. Tonight I went out and sat in a stand behind my house for 30 minutes with just a pair of pants, my insulated bibs, a t-shirt, and the new Rocky parka. The temp was 26 degrees. After 10 minutes my legs were slightly chilly. After 20 minutes my legs were coooold. After 30 minutes my legs were so cold they were getting numb. From the waist up I was completely warm and cozy. Rocky makes a pair of bibs to go along with the parka and you can bet I'll have those too before next hunting season.

stubblejumper 01-10-2004 09:39 PM

RE: Rocky Pro Hunter Quad Parka

If you could only take 27 degrees for 20 minutes with all of those clothes on don't plan any deer hunts in alberta or saskatchewan.We often hunt in temperatures down to -10F to -20F and occaisionally -30F.

Brampton Mike 01-11-2004 04:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Ballistictip

During the hunting season when the temps fall below 35 degrees I wear polypropelene thermals, jogging pants, standard camo pants, and insulated bibs. Upper body gets the poly thermals, a heavy sweatshirt, medium weight jacket, and a heavy coat. The coldest weather I hunted in this season was 27 degrees and I was freezing within 20 minutes.
[:o][:o] Wow....hope you never plan on hunting in Canada...35 degrees....hell man we're still in shorts then....try -10 to -20 degrees for hunting...now that's cold......in fact it's -30 outside right now & thats in in F not C......;) Brampton Mike [8D]

BASEBALLCRAZY 01-11-2004 10:28 PM

i bought the rocky pro hunter bibs and bomber jacket for a deer hunting trip in alabama last december. the temp was around 25-30 degrees in the mornings. i never got cold with the rocky camo. i was impressed with the quality and performance of the rocky camo.

biglmbass 01-12-2004 06:42 AM

Don't let anyone fool you, south Alabama has a few bitterly cold days each winter (IMO). At least the day will start out that way... I think humidity has a lot to do with the "feels cold" factor vs. just the outside temperature.

Rambling on...
Apparently I've got less than ideal blood circulation. I'm not yet an old man by any means, but the cold didn't use to bother me so bad. Now, I've got to pay close attention to heavy layering from head to toe just to be comfy in 30ish temps.

Ballistictip 01-12-2004 07:23 AM

I would be frozen solid in below zero temps. I don't see how you guys do it. My blood pressure has always been on the low side so that doesn't help either. If the Rocky bibs are as warm as the coat I might be able to stay warm in the 20's now.:D

Martin Cougar 01-12-2004 09:17 AM

Does your jacket have Goretex? I am considering a new jacket for next year as well but I want something that will keep me dry. I was also considering the Browning Hydrofleece 4-1 jacket.

Ballistictip 01-12-2004 11:00 AM

It is not Gore-tex but is garaunteed 100% waterproof by Rocky. They use some new material and I can't remember the name. I'm goining to give it the water hose test here real soon. I'll post the results.