Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

binoculars?

Old 01-04-2004, 10:45 AM

Default binoculars?

what is the best type to buy for being out in the woods?
Old 01-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: binoculars?

I used the Bushnell Legend 8 x 42 this year for hunting and liked using them. I’m not saying that they are the best but they did the job for me. I will enjoy using them for years to come.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:25 AM

Hi EagleLake,

Much of that answer is going to be dependent upon how much you can afford to spend. My suggestion would be go to an outdoor sporting goods specific store and get permission to handle (view through) as many as you can. (Preferably walking to the door and looking outside.

Determine your needs....how you intend to use them...and buy the best you can afford! You won't be disappointed in the long term.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

akbound's suggestion is right on the money. It is really the only way to see what is out there and what will specifically suit your needs. I recently decided that I wanted to buy a "better" pair of binoculars than what I was currently using. I wanted a 10x magnification as well as at least a 40 mm objective so that narrowed down my choices. Next, I realized that I wanted a roof prism model as they tend to be smaller and more streamlined than the porro prism models. Lastly, I realized that I wanted the lenses to be phase coated so that I would have a bright clear image.

I did as akbound mentioned and went to the local Cabelas to check several out. Considering my price constraints I was left with 4 or 5 models to choose from...Bushnell Legend, Wind River Olympics, one or two Cabelas brand models and the Nikon Monarch ATBs. I ended up with the Nikon's simply because I liked their overall size in addition to their clarity and brightness. Ofcourse, their endorsements from several members of these forums helped as well. Thus far I have not been disappointed.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:09 AM

I also like the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42's. They are a great all around binocular and would work perfect in wooded situations. They are very comfortable to hold and have excellent clarity and brightness. A great buy!

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 01-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use some Bushnell compact 8X Binos. they were pretty cheap, about 25.00 they have worked well for about three years now. I have had several pairs but they are all Bushnells.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:56 PM

I've got a couple pair of Pentax 10x50 PCF binocs. They are a super binocular. Great eye relief, even if you wear glasses. The light gathering ability is excellent for early and late glassing. They are waterproof plus the price is right. You can't get much better for the price of these! You can check them out here. http://www.riflescopes.com/store/dep...s.asp?dept=128
Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have a pair of Zeiss Classic 10x40's and a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x50's. The Zeiss's are great, enough power in a fairly small package, I can wear them all day with any fatigue. When planning on doing some serious all day glassing, I'll go to the bigger Swarovski's. They are simply surperb optics, if there is a down side to them ,it's their size and weight. I highly recomend a harness such as the one crooked horn outfitters makes. If you just use bino's for ocasional glassing any of the lower end makes will do. For extended usage, I would suggest a higher quality because of less eye fatigue. It's not written in stone but most top notch outfitters will be using and reccomend Swaro's and Zeiss.

just some thoughts, doubleA
Old 01-07-2004, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: doubleA

I highly recomend a harness such as the one crooked horn outfitters makes.
That is some great advice, DoubleA! I bought myself one of those last year and it makes walking with even a large pair of binoculars a breeze. Wouldn't take to the woods anymore without them on my binoculars anymore!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 PM

Hi doubleA,

I agree with you on the quality of the products from either of those companies. For someone that can afford such optics they are indeed worth the money spent. I currently own, and wouldn't go afield without my 8X30's Swarovskis. They are brighter than many "bigger" less expensive glasses I have tried....and are truly handy. But many people find their cost prohibitive.

Depending on the intended usage most individuals can be well served with less expensive glass. There are many good quality binos that run about half as expensive as either the Zeiss, Swarovskis, Leica's, etc. A number of binos from Pentax and Nikon come to mind.....as do some of the more "American sounding brands" such as Leupold, Bushnell, etc. I have heard and read some good things about some of the better quality glass coming out of Eastern Europe, (though since the collapse of the Warsaw Pact their prices are rising), and there are still some "good deals" obtainable for a keen (and wary) shopper.

I long time ago I decided for myself personally, that I spend much more time using my binoculars on a hunt....than I do using my rifle. And that being the case was a turning point for me. If I was going to spend X amount of dollars on a good rifle/scope combination......it made at least as much sense to me to be willing to spend a like amount on a pair of binos. And I have never regretted it! But for a person on a tighter budget....a good servicable binocular can be obtained for less. Just understand that you don't get "worldclass optics"....at "bargain basement prices". Accept that....and you won't be disappointed!

Quick Reply: binoculars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.