Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

How do you use a compass..?

Old 12-29-2003, 12:50 AM

Default How do you use a compass..?

Silly silly question, I learned this in boy scouts but tottally blocked it out. For instance, when i go into the woods, i take a reading from my compass and when i go back out, i go the opposite of my reading and end up where i started..? Sorry for being ignorant.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you use a compass..?

I just use it for basic directions. Such as you know you need to go east to get back to a trail or you know that if you keep going south you will hit the black top. It takes a bit of work to stay on any certain course with one. You have to take readings when you start out, plotting certain landmarks along the way and jotting down coordinates. If you need that detailed a guide to get out of the woods, you should invest in a gps. A compass is best for woods that you are somewhat familiar with.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:53 AM

GPS !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a compass as a general direction device, meaning i know i need to go north to get back to the start point, so I pull out my compass and point it north...of course this may not get me to the exact point of origin I will however get me to the trail and then I must determine wether I need to walk east or west from their. Like said it is a device that is best suited for being somewhat familar with your surroundings and as a basic navigation tool. Unless you have a detailed area map and plot coordinates, which few of us use a lot of the time. The GPS is a more exact tool and very easy to use for the evryday hunter, allowing one to retrace their exact steps or just naviagte by walking in the direction the gps is indicating back to point of origin. I wouldn't go into the woods without both and a spare supply of batteries. I do however use my compass more frequently for quick points of reference, wind direction, etc.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Before going into a new woods I take some initial observations, IE. if I go north I will come out to the lake, if I go east I have to go 50 miles of bush before I hit a road,The road I came in on is the southern border. That way once I decide to come out if I can't backtrack I would just head south and never try to go east to find my way out.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

MossyOak02 ,
your current method will do , but if you'd like to brush up on your orienteering skills go to: maptools.org
They offer lots of info and tools for learning basic and advanced orienteering , GPS , etc.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:14 AM

Thanks guys.. I guess i should just get a GPS as well too. Etrex.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:17 AM

Hi MossyOak02,

A compass can be used in a number of ways to assist with navigation. Of course the most basic method is to determine a "general direction" of travel and then "reverse it by 180 degrees" to return to where you started. But this is a very general "approach" to navigation.

Another, somewhat more specific approach, would be to travel on a magnetic bearing for a specified distance. And each time you are required to change your "bearing" you also start a new "pace count" and establish a distance traveled for each individual "new bearing" that you travel. This requires you maintain a record of each "bearing and the distance traveled on that bearing". When it is time to return to your "Start Point"....you'd reverse all bearings by 180 degrees and travel each of them the same distance as was originally travelled. (And in case you are not sure the compass has 360 degrees. So anytime you want to reverse your bearing it is a simple matter. All bearings of less than 180 degrees - you'd add 180 degrees to get the "reverse bearing". And all bearings of greater than 180 degrees - you'd subtract 180 degrees to obtain the "reverse bearing".) As you can see....this method of navigation is both time consuming....and requires good "note taking skills", (ie: record keeping).

Perhaps the easiest, and certainly the best way to use a compass for navigation.....is in conjunction with a good topographical map. (Yes, now you need to know map reading skills.) When you couple a good compass...with a recent map....and the knowledge to use them both. You should be able to navigate anywhere in the world....with strict confidence that you can know where you are at any time. (Did I say "coupled with knowledge in their use"?) Actually, after you have some experience at "reading" a good, recent, topographical map.....you can nearly "picture", or "envision" the terrain and landscape prior to ever setting foot on it. A topographical map represents symbolically what the ground actually "looks" like. Get good at "reading" the symbols....and it will translate into a "picture in your head". You need to understand the nuances of map/compass work. Like declination diagrams...what they are...and how to convert. You must know the differences between magnetic North, true North, and grid North. And there are other things as well. But learning these things can be as easy....or as hard....as you'd like to make it on yourself.

Either pick up a clearly written book on the subject. Or join an Orienteering group. Or simply find someone that has already learned these things, (not full of poop either), and spend sometime in the woods. Purchase a good compass and mapsheets can be found in numerous places...to include online. Get a good topo map and learn the "language" of maps. The symbols in the legend, and the features of topography. It takes a little time and effort. But few things are as rewarding as knowing that you are self sufficient when it comes to land navigation.....and able to not get "totally lost" in a patch of woods. (Besides, reading terrain features can help to make you a better hunter. It enables you to recognize things like natural funnels and paths of least resistance.) So it pays for itself in many ways.

Any how...good luck with your learning!

P.S. A GPS is a very good tool.....but never entirely depend upon it with your life. Signals sometimes are difficult to receive....and even spare batteries eventually run dry!
Old 01-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a compass to take a bearing when I head out, and just add 180 to get back to my general starting point. Usually, before I head back, I surface and get a visual and then take a compass bearing... Oh, wait. Thats when I SCUBA dive. When I hunt, I use my GPS! I use my compass as a backup and if I need a quick bearing or direction check.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

how do you use a compass, well, you can stare at it for awhile, or you can put a piece of metal near it and watch the needle move, gun barrels are good for this, of you can look at it and say to yourself "there is no way that is the direction i should be heading". but unless you have worked with a map and compass and have a pretty good idea what to do with them, the best way to use it would be to leave it home.

Quick Reply: How do you use a compass..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.