Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

utility or ATV

Old 12-23-2003, 03:48 PM

Default utility or ATV

i am deciding wether to buy a utility vehicle or an ATV which do you think is the best and what are some of the good features on both i will mainly use it to hunt and fish.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: utility or ATV

i was pondering the same thing myself. i havent got one yet but im leaning twords a kawasaki mule or similar because of the ability to take an extra rider with me and in the off season the dog and girlfriend would love to take a ride to the back 40.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Polaris Ranger 4X4 and love it. Will sit 3 adults side by side, haul all the stuff you could think of for hunting. Planting food plots? Can haul a full half ton of lime, fertilizer, and seed. in one trip. And no having to climb and hang on, just sit down and drive. For my money a ute is the only way to go.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

How rough is the terrain you will be using it in?The utilities haul more people and much more gear but a conventional 4x4 quad will handle much rougher terrain and manouvers better in tight spots due to its smaller size and less weight.I use a 4x4 quad because a utility will not handle the deep muskeg,really rought terrain or fit through the tight bush where I hunt.If I hunted where the ground was drier and more level with fewer trees or had trails where I hunt I would probably consider a utility.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:17 PM

What about the new yamaha rhino utility? i read an article in Hunting magazine and they seemed to like it a lot.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

It will haul more than a quad but is less manouverable and won't go through as much.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

The Yamaha don't have the payload of the Ranger or the Mule. I live down here in mud country and have had no problems with putting my Ranger through tough conditions. Yes I've been stuck in holes some quads went through but I've also been through holes quads got stuck in. They all will get stuck, thats what the winch is for. Kubota is comming out with a ute the first of the year that looks real good but its not as fast as the Ranger. Top speed on the Ranger is 40+MPH on the Mule and Kubota top speed is 25 MPH.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

I would say both have their advantages and disadvantages. I own a Yamaha Big Bear and there are times when it is just too big. A utility would be way too big to get through most of the trails at my hunting lease without some major clearing and chain saw work. On the other hand, the utility would be far better for hauling equipment in and out of the woods. There have been many times I've had to make 2 or even 3 trips in and out on the atv to get the work done where a ute would have easily done it in 1 trip with room to spare.

If the size of the utility wouldn't be a problem for you I'd say go for it. Otherwise the atv might be the better choice.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

I went with a Polaris ATV and then purchased a 1500 lb capacity trailer with wide turf tires on it. Great for hauling up to 1000 lbs or so. It is very manuverable and I can pick it up and move it even with a small load on it. Best part was the ATV cost $3000 and the trailer was only $250.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:22 AM

I have used ATVs, mules/utilities and argos. Each have pro/cons.

ATVs are a general use unit, carry people and equipment in tight/tough terrain. Ad a trailer you have a cargo unit.

Mules/Utilities are bigger cargo units with more comfort, not as manuevearble but haul a lot and you can get them in diesel.

Argos are at home in the mud, muck, water, and snow. Will go where every you need, wheels or tracks. But they are miserable to get in and out of and need extended gear racks to haul anything.

Need to consider is the unit to be on a property or hauled/mobile, that limits you based on trailering the mules/utilities and Argos. ATVs are easier to transport. ATVs are by far less expensive than the others.

Quick Reply: utility or ATV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.