Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which Leupold???

Old 12-15-2003, 06:41 PM

Default Which Leupold???

I am looking for some input. I just won a .270 Remington 700 ADL in a local big buck contest and am wondering which scope to buy for it. I have pretty much made my mind up on a Leupold but am wondering how much difference there is between the VX-II 3-9x50mm and a Vari-X III 3.5x50mm. I want to get the best scope I can for my money but would like to know what the differences are between them before I decide. This will be my first Leupold. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:23 PM

Default RE: Which Leupold???

i have a 3.5x10x40 varixIII on my weatherby that i bought in 1990.if you can afford the varixIII i would buy it. i am going to buy a 4x12x40 rifleman series for my new weatherby 300 mag .it has a lifetime guarantee and cost about $240.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulation on your rifle. Nice prize. To get to the question, the difference between the VX-II and the VX III has to do with the coating and the price. The better the coating the more it cost. My description is very basic and I’m sure others could do better. I did buy a Leupold scope this year for hunting and was very satisfied. I even had snow get on the front lens and had no problem seeing. Good luck in your choice.â
Old 12-16-2003, 07:32 AM

You also have another decision to make. Leupold is discontinuing the Vari-X III models to come out with a new line called the VX-III's. The old Vari-X III's are going to be called the VX-II's next year. You can get a Vari-X III or a VX-II at discounted prices right now, so that is an option. Or you can wait until next year to get a new model. Just something to think about.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 12-16-2003, 08:54 PM

Any info on the new vx-iii? Like when it is set to be released or any new options that it may have over the older models. Thanks again.

upstateny
Old 12-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would stick with the 40mm objective so the scope can be mounted lower for better cheek position on the stock.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:05 AM

upstateny,

The information below as been floating around the internet by a representative from Leupold. The release date for the new VX-III is scheduled for the first of January.

"The New VX-III for 2004
For 2004, Leupold introduces the VX-III line of Golden Ring Riflescopes. The VX-III carries many of the great classic features of the tried and true Vari-X III line but with several exciting new features. Based on the superior optical design of the Vari-X III, the VX-III delivers even more light transmission with The New Index Matched Lens System. No longer are tools required for making windage and elevation adjustments as we introduce the new, highly precise Finger Adjustable Elevation and Windage. Reticle focus will be faster and easier now with The Lockable Fast Focus Eyepiece. More Long Range models are now available.

The VX-III 1.5-5x20mm and 1.75-6x32mm are top choices in dangerous game and quick pointing optics with wide field of view and now an even brighter image for dark, shadowed woods. The VX-III 2.5-8x36mm, 3.5-10x40mm and the 4.5-14x40mm fixed objective all meet the needs of the serious hunter who needs an excellent combination of low power, wide field of view and higher magnification for longer range shots, all in a package that fits well in a scabbard. The VX-III 3.5-10x50mm fixed objective provides the best low light performance while the VX-III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range gives both great low light performance for deep timber and is equipped for long range shooting of open country with side focus and generous adjustment travel. The VX-III 4.5-14x40mm Long Range, 6.5-20x50mm Long Range (also available in a Target model) and the 8.5-25x50mm Long Range Target meet the needs of shooters that demand maximum capabilities for placing shots accurately in a wide range of conditions.

In addition to the full array of Leupold reticles, the VX-III riflescope family now also features the new Leupold Wide Duplex reticle (available in Spring 2004) in addition to the New Ballistic Reticle System: The Boone and Crockett Club Reticle for big game and the Varmint Hunter’s Reticle. The Leupold Index Matched Lens System provides the best light management across the entire image, maximizing contrast and image brightness, delivering as high as 98% light transmission. New Finger Adjustable Windage and Elevation Dials make sighting in easy and zero can be reset by moving the golden pointer ring. Except for the diopter directional markings, The Lockable Fast Focus Eyepiece still carries the Leupold Classic look but focuses 4 times faster than did the Vari-X III, then can be locked in place when best focus is achieved. The Long Range configuration of Side Focus for parallax correction and 30mm maintube for added elevation adjustment travel has been carried through to all models of 4.5-14 power range and higher to provide easy to operate parallax correction and expanded capability to achieve longer range shots.

Leupold’s new VX-III riflescopes are manufactured at the Leupold Beaverton, Oregon factory and are backed by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee".

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 12-17-2003, 05:10 AM

Here is some more information that I just received. Most of it is duplicate of my previous post, but does have some other information:

"Were introducing a new line of scopes that's the sum total of everything we;ve learned in nearly 100 years of working with optics. Quite simply, these riflescopes will outshine and outperform nearly every scope on earth...they had to, if they were going to replace the famous Vari-X® III line, the scopes that helped to make Leupold a legend.

Its the new Leupold® Golden Ring® VX-III, a completely new riflescope line that incorporates new materials, exciting new and exclusive technology, and of course, 100 years of our expertise. We pushed the envelope in every direction... structural design, optics, construction...to give you a better scope, one thats a worthy replacement for the Vari-X III. Everything you demand from an American-made scope, such as legendary Leupold ruggedness, absolute waterproof integrity, and the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee is there, but its the new refinements that make the VX-III the most exciting Leupold in years.

New VX-III features include:

Finger-adjustable windage and elevation dials with resettable pointer dials, marking the zero point.

Three illuminated models provide the reticle-to-target contrast you need when hunting in low light.

Fast-focus eyepiece on all models. Models without the illuminated reticle have a lockable, fast-focus eyepiece so you can securely lock the eyepiece once youve set your reticle focus.

; Side focus parallax adjustment is available on many models, so you can easily focus from any shooting position.

; All side focus models have 30mm maintube with increased elevation and windage adjustments (up to 80
minutes of range on some models).

; VX-III Duplex Rangefinding System. Select models of VX-III are equipped with the Duplex rangefinding system.

Index Matched Lens System; on VX-III Riflescopes. Leupold users know that for a bright, crisp sight picture with good contrast in all light conditions, proper light management and maximum light transmission is absolutely critical. New for 2004, Leupold;s new VX-III riflescopes will feature the Index Matched Lens System, greatly improving upon what was already impeccable light management. Some of the new VX-III riflescopes have measured as high as 98 percent TOTAL light transmission, which means you;ll get brightness and clarity like you;ve never seen before.

; Boone and Crockett; Big Game and Varmint Hunters Ballistic Aiming Systems. These exciting new reticles, a VX-III exclusive, will make long-range accuracy and range estimating easy to master. Each reticle features multiple aiming points for long ranges and windy conditions. Two power selector settings provide a quick and easy way to set the aiming points to match your ballistics.

Legendary Leupold ruggedness and absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity.

; Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee ; the best consumer protection you;ll find anywhere.

; Made in the U.S.A.

The new Leupold Golden Ring VX-III product line will be available in early January 2004 at your local Leupold Authorized Golden Ring® Dealer. To find a dealer near you, call 800.929.4949 or visit our Online Dealer Locator at www.leupold.com.

If you would like to be removed from our mailing list and opt out of future mailings regarding new Leupold product offerings, please click here.

All content ©2003 & 2004 Leupold & Stevens, Inc., Beaverton, OR U.S.A. "

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 12-17-2003, 01:38 PM

I've owned more than a dozen VariXIII--they have all been flawless. When the VXIII come out, I expect the VariX III to be reduced in price. If you can wait, you might consider picking up the variXIII at a significantly reduced price. You can't go wrong with the variX III. Does anyone have an idea on what the price jump with be with the VXIII scopes?
Old 12-17-2003, 03:22 PM

Thanks guys for all the input.

upstateny

Quick Reply: Which Leupold???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.