Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Binoculars and 2 way radios

Old 11-28-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Binoculars and 2 way radios

Hi everyone
I had a pair of Pentax DCR II 10x42 sent to me and a pair of Nikon Monarchs ATB 10x42 also. I have been comparing tha last couple of days in low light conditions and the Pentax are definately brighter but not by much. But the Pentax are heavier and longer the Monarchs are lighter and smaller. I think I will go with the Monarchs but will try some Pentax DCF SP first they are double the price odf the other two but are about the same size as Monarchs.Anyone ever had the Pentax DCF-SP? I would appriciate any advice or suggestions. Also thinking of getting the Motorola T7200 Talkabout radios they go for about $149 each any one had any experience with them? I found some good reviews and they sound good. These are christmas presents to myself.

Thanks for anyy info
Raymond270
Old 11-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Binoculars and 2 way radios

I have a pair of T7200 radios and I find they are excellent. Buy a spare NiMH battery (make sure to get them with the good battery) and get the drop-in chargers as it makes it really convienent to charge them that way. Also, I picked up a ear bud/mic combo from Radio Shack that works really well. You keep the ear bud in your ear and all your buddies can chat and not spook game. There is a PTT (Push To Talk) button inline with the mic so when you want to transmit just push that and talk into the mic.

Great radios and batteries last all day. Plus in a pinch you can use 4 AA batteries.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious about why you are considering spending so much for the radios when there are many available for less? I have several Motorola and Midland brand radios and can' t tell a difference between the most expensive and the cheapest.
Good luck with whatever you get.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:29 PM

Hi Steve and thanks for the info. I have read a lot of good reviews about the Motorola 7200s and the post before you reinfirmed that. You might be right but I do not minding spending if the product is good. And if I do not buy them for my self nobody will. Of course I do not like to throw money around but I am going to get paid out 4 weeks of vacation I did not take. Also years ago I hunted with my dad and a large group of people. My dad still goes up but can not hunt anymore so it is just me and my nephew. I kniow the area very well and my nephew has gotten deer his first two years but does not know area well. I usiually have him close by to me but I want to start leaving him at a point or something while I go somewhere else so I think these radios will be a big help.

Raymond
Old 12-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Raymond270,
I think you may have missed my point. The cheaper radios (FRS) work just as well as the most expensive ones. If you look in your local pawnshop you can get them really cheap. Just trying to save you some bucks.
Good luck.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually Steve that is normally true but not necessarily in the case of the T7200. The T7200 is a GMRS/FRS hybrid radio. It operates on a full two watts of power (advertised not ERP) and has a slightly larger antenna than the typical FRS or smaller FRS/GMRS radios found on the market. Both of these features can significantly increase range. Add to that the fact that the T7200 is repeater capable and the transmitting range really gets a major boost. Provided the consumer has access to a repeater 30-40 miles is not out of the question.

Also the NIMH battery on the T7200 is of a larger size and greater storage capacity than what is found on many other units. Ofcourse, it is needed to push the extra power out of the radio for an extended period of time. Many other nifty features are also available on the unit and which are relatively exclusive to the Motorola series radios....Group Talk Quiet Mode, Voice Scrambling, Instant decoding of channel and subchannel, NOAA weather radio, etc...

Granted, not all of this is needed for many hunting situations but it sure is nice to have for some.

Raymond,

Can't help you with binocs. I love trying new ones out but have never convinced myself that I need anything over $150 for most of the situations that I hunt in.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:43 PM

I have a pair of the Pentax DCF and love them. I can see well beyond legal shooting hours clearly. The only drawback is that they do get a little heavy over a long period of time. As far as the radios our club bought the el cheapo Unidens - 5mile range and they outperform the Motorolas and Midlands that some of my buddies use. I don't know the model #s but I think that you will be satisfied with any 5mile set.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

PABowhntr,
You sure know the product better than I do.
I do have a pair of Motorola T4500's which also are FRS/GMRS combination. I think I got the pair for $30.00 on sale at Sports Authority.
I also have two other models of Motorola FRS radios and a Midland FRS set. For our purposes I can't see a difference based on the price paid for the radios.
Just trying to be helpful.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:37 PM

Hello everyone I really appreciate everyones suggestions and thoughts. First on the binos I have been using Bushnell trophy hunters for years but would like to upgrade. The Nikon Monarchs are great for the price and the new Pentac I have coming are the same length as the Nikons and 3 0z. more but they weigh less than my Bushnells. Why do I need such exspensive binos? Years ago we use to hunt the peaks and mountains behind the large ranches. Over the last six or seven years the ranchers have planted alfalfa and a few other things that deer like to eat. So slowly the herd as been living down low by the ranches. So as the baby bucks get born they know these areas as home. There are still a few up high but they have a easy life down low. So now we hunt the foothills above the ranches because that is where 80% of the deer are. Usually I find a good spot and glass for hours then maybe move to another spot and glass more. so much of the day is sitting and glassing. The land is fairly open and you need to see at some distance. If we spot some bucks we usually try to figure which way they are going and move and wait for them. This year my two friends got a 30inch four pointer and a 26inch forked horn. We have gotten a few big ones down low now. Sorry for being longwinded.

Thanks Raymond270
Old 12-07-2003, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Raymond, have you considered maybe getting the Garmin Rino. It’s a radio and a GPS all in one. This might be something that would help your nephew when leaving him on his own. I don’t know how well they work but I do know I have a Garmin GPS and just love it.... Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Binoculars and 2 way radios

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.