Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Buy a Leupold when I rarely rifle hunt?? >

Buy a Leupold when I rarely rifle hunt??

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Buy a Leupold when I rarely rifle hunt??

Old 11-20-2003, 07:06 AM

Default Buy a Leupold when I rarely rifle hunt??

I know that the general thought is that bang for the buck Leupolds are the best etc.

The problem I have is that I am a Bow hunter first, a slug gun hunter second (no rifles in Mass), and a rifle hunter last. I have had my Savage 3006 for 2 years and this weekend will be my 1st rifle hunt with it.

Right now I have a cheap Simmons scope on both my 3006 and my Savage 210 bolt slug gun. I' ve actually been surprised at how well they have worked the few times I have used them.

I' m thinking about picking up a Leupold VXII but it seems like waste to through it on a rifle that I use maybe twice a year to hunt and once in awhile at the range. Usually when I shoot at the range I bring my Bushmaster.

There is the possibilty of being able to rifle hunt next year on the land I currently bow hunt on.

So What do you guys think?
Old 11-20-2003, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Buy a Leupold when I rarely rifle hunt??

Geoff,

I agree, I would have a hard time spending the money on a Leupold when I only use my gun 2-3 times a year. Personally, I do not think that the Leupold' s are the best bang for the buck. There are a lot of other scopes out there that are cheaper and just as good of quality. Yes you do get what you pay for, but sometimes you can get away with spending less and getting just as good of quality. If you don' t want to spend a lot of money, I would recommend looking at the Nikon Monarch. For the same amount of money, I think that you will get a better scope. If you don' t want to spend that much, I would look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 series. JMO!

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 11-20-2003, 12:04 PM

I decided to go with the Nikon Buckmaster, thanks Jon!
Old 11-22-2003, 01:11 AM

BSA is the best bang for your buck. I have a 50 dollar BSA Mil Dot on my Wheatherby 7mm. Its held up perfect without a miss for 2 years, that includes the time I fell down the creek bank and my whole gun was muddy later that day with mud and all stopped a nice 6pt dead in his tracks at 275 yards. Course thats the 7mm beauty of it but the scope seems to be flawless. I wouldn' t spend more than 100 bucks on a scope and when this one messes up (if ever) i will get another identical to it.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

i two have acouple of cheaper scopes but if that once in a lifetime buck steps in front of you would you be happy if an inferior scope would fail
Old 12-12-2003, 02:34 PM

I dont know if you have ever thought about it but why not buy one leupold scope and get the removable bases for you slug gun and rifle.. that way you can interchange the two. when your not using it on one just switch it over. the only thing would be sighting it in for both guns.. maybe you could find a happy medium(if your lucky) just a thought
Old 12-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info but what i did not mention was that i have leopolds on the rifles that i use the most but your idea is a good one for my other two.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

If you can afford it buy the Leupold. It has a lifetime warranty. You buy the scope now and you are set for life. Believe me with scopes you get what you pay for. Look at used scopes by Leupold on ebay. No matter how old they are they still sell for almost the same price as the new ones are.

I see guys in my group with other brands that have to adjust every year while sighting in. The Leupolds always are sighted in from the year before.

Like someone said in the previous post. I want to be 100% sure if the 30pt. buck comes buy, I don't want to have a scope that may still be on.

just my 2 cents

cybersniper
Old 12-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

i agree if i could swing it cash wise id buy atleast one for the rifle i use more....i thought any old scope was just as good as a leupold or better......i was shocked when i looked through my first leupold....youll never see a cheap scope that clear.....and its got a lifetime warrenty as was said....they make them scopes to last.....yes i do have a tasco on my squirrel rifle....but i can tell when that gives out on me...it works fine for shootin squirrels...heck.....ask the 10 i shot with it this year.....but its a fixed power scope...i think thats one of the keys in getting a half decint cheap scope....and even still......it wil never be as clear as my leupold......i spend to much time scouting and preparing for the season and buy to much gear and this and that ect ect to blow my chance at a deer becuase i bought a 20 dollar scope.......good luck in whatever you choose....but one day when that big buck steps out infront of you and you put the crosshairs on him and shoot and miss and goto the range to find your scope died youll kick yourself.....but there are probally some good cheaper scopes out there.....
Old 12-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Leupolds are good scopes. I have a couple myself. They are however far from the only scope out there that will do the job day in and day out. You can get a scope that will hold up for years for 100.00 bucks or less. I have a bunch of Bushnells going on 25 years old. Never had to resight them unless I changed loads or put them on a different rifle. I could never justify laying out that kind of money for a scope used a few times a year. But I don't have much money. Gotta watch how I spend it.

Quick Reply: Buy a Leupold when I rarely rifle hunt??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.