HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Question on climbing treestands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/43438-question-climbing-treestands.html)

smokpole 11-17-2003 10:15 AM

Question on climbing treestands

I' m looking at buying my first climber and I' ve read all the discussions on here about the different issues (good and bad) with various climbing stands. So, I' ve eliminated a few choices based on that. Since this will be my first climber, I' m not 100% on all the best attributes I should be looking for, but I do have a short list of the main things I think I need:

1. Must be compact and lightweight (20lb range)
2. Must not be cumbersome and noisy
3. Must be easy to set-up and climb without two much difficulty.
4. Must be safe and comfortable.

Now that I' ve pretty much described the perfect stand, I' ve narrowed my choices down to my list below:

1. Summit Broadhead Backpacker: Weight 20lbs. I like the idea of the pivoting uprights that will fold down flat when backpacking. Seat looks comfortable. $250.

2. Summit Bullet Backpacker: Weight 21lbs. Same as the Broadhead but with the bar across the front. $270.

3. Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber: Weight 15.5lbs. This also has the pivoting uprights so it will be easy to pack in/out. It has the belt system as opposed to the cable system on the Summits. Big advantage here is the weight but that flat seat sure don' t look very comfy. $300.

4. Lone Wolf Alpha Sit and Climber: Weight 19lbs. Same as the Hand climber but this has the bar in the front to sit on when climbing? also can be used as a rifle rest. This also has a sling seat as opposed to the concrete pad on the Hand Climber. $330. This one' s kinda pricey and I dunno about sittin and climbin, is that easier than the other way?

I think I' ve pretty much made my decision on what I think I want, but I' d would appreciate some comments or suggestions on either these climbers or any others that may be a better choice.

Thanks!!

yajsab 11-17-2003 11:49 AM

RE: Question on climbing treestands

Those are all good stand. Just flip a coin if you can' t make up your mind. :D

VAhuntr 11-17-2003 11:57 AM

I have owned several different climbers over the last few years and I keep going back to the Summit line. The stand up/sit down method of climbing does not require as much upper body strength as a regular hand climber and is therefor easier for most.

I just sold a Lone Wolf Sit & Climb a few weeks ago. The main reason I sold the Lone Wolf was comfort. I just could not sit comfortably in the stand for more than 4 hours. The Lone Wolf packs in and out easy, climbs quietly and was very easy to climb with. I wish Lone Wolf would make a stand just a little bigger for us larger folks!

I can' t speak for the Broadhead or the Bullet but the Summit Viper is one great stand. It is not quite as easy to carry in and out, but it is the most stable and comfortable stand I have ever used. This stand bites the tree like no other stand I have ever used. I also found I could attach it to the tree in the dark easier than the LW.

If you bowhunt you may want to consider a model with an open front. It is possible for the bar on the Bullet/Viper to get in your way when shooting a vey close shot. However, if you are aware of this you can practice your shots before season to be prepared should you encounter this shot.

Two things I will tell you that both the Lone Wolf and the Summit have in common. Both are of top quality and supported by excellent customer service! I don' t think you will go wrong with any of the stands you are considering.

smokpole 11-17-2003 12:42 PM

Thanks VAhuntr -

Although I like the idea of having a 15lb climber, I don' t know if it' s worth sacrificing the comfort. I was thinking about going with the Summit Bullet Backpacker b/c it fit' s both my needs, gun and bow. But, that was one of my concerns is will that bar get in the way of my bow? since I shoot compound the limbs arn' t that long so I didn' t think it would be much of a problem, but since I' ve alway' s hunted out of hang-on type stands without that bar in the front, I really didn' t know.

I guess it' s all about comprimise, you can' t have it all.

strut 11-17-2003 01:26 PM

Summit Viper, all the way, its light {about 20 lb.} strudy, quite, easy to hook to a tree and very comfortable.

Handles 11-17-2003 01:36 PM

After buying a summit climber a few years ago (before their new cable attatchments) that weighs 25 lbs I would much rather go with the lightest one possible. You can always modify the seat for comfort, but it is hard to make them lighter. If you don' t have to walk far, or up hills it might not be a big deal to you, but I am finding myself using my climber less and less especially in my hard-to reach places where it can be a real pain. I' m a wrestling coach, and in very good shape, so fitness isn' t a problem. I just have some killer hills to walk and each extra pound makes a difference.

joeturse 11-17-2003 02:06 PM

Why not buy the bullet,and later on buy the broadhead top from Summit.The climbing platforms are the same.

Joe

VAhuntr 11-17-2003 05:49 PM

smokepole,

I think since the Summit Bullet and Broadhead both fold flat they will be less noticeable on your back. I have found that adding a set of padded backpack straps helps eliminate the pressure on your shoulders. Another thing I do when hiking a long distance is tie straps to the stand and then around my hips. This puts the bulk of the stands' weight on your hips instead of your shoulders.

Once you get the stand you can adjust the seat cushion and the climbing platform and almost eliminate the problem of the bar getting in the way. Another benefit of the Summit I forgot to mention is the safety harness that is included with the stand.

By the way, I like joeturse' s idea of buying both climbing sections!

smokpole 11-18-2003 07:12 AM

I' m definately gonna get better backstraps. But that' s also a good idea to rig up something to use as hip straps, help take that weight off my shoulders.

Deleted User 11-18-2003 07:30 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

oldelkhunter 11-18-2003 08:37 AM

Have you looked at BuckSHot Treestands..I own a centershot and it is a very nice stand

NorthernMN 11-18-2003 03:03 PM

I bought the Broadhead Backpacker about 5 weeks ago. Awesome. Dang near as comfortable as sitting in the recliner at home. I am getting pretty good at setting it up now. Easy and quiet. Packs like a dream.

Ballistictip 11-18-2003 07:03 PM

I agree with Oldelkhunter. Buckshot does make some really nice stands. I have the Bigshot. Although it weighs in at 24 pounds I' ve carried mine in over a mile and it doesn' t seem all that bad. During archery you sit with your back to the tree and during gun you face the tree. It' s very comfortable and safe.

http://www.buckshot-stands.com/

oldelkhunter 11-19-2003 08:49 AM

Hey Ballistictip ..I' m not to far from you I live in Kernersville

Ballistictip 11-19-2003 11:34 AM

Wow, you are close. Guess I always figured with a name like Oldelkhunter you were from out west. I' ve got to go up to Kernersville pretty soon, well actually Walkertown. Looking to get my son his first deer rifle. Dealt with a place called The Gun Rack. Super nice guy and had really good prices too. Ever heard of them?

oldelkhunter 11-19-2003 11:43 AM

Thats because I hunt out West about every year and Elk is what I like hunting the most. Gun Rack moved out of Walkertown is now located on highway 66 Kville about 1 mile from my house.

Ballistictip 11-19-2003 07:08 PM

Glad you told me that before I made the trip out there. Do you know if their phone number is still the same? I' ve never done any elk hunting but looks like it would be tons of fun. I' ve been told they' ve put some elk out here in the mountains but it' s been a while since I' ve heard anything about it. I remember a couple of years ago I was down in Reynolds, GA on a business trip. Riding down the road there were about 15 elk out in a pecan orchard. it was surounded by a 10 to 12 foot fence. I was amazed at how big those things were.

oldelkhunter 11-20-2003 06:18 AM

Gun Racks number is the same as before although he has a new number but I don' t have it....

ArJay 12-13-2003 06:48 PM

Hi, Smokpole.

I was in the same boat with you until I puchased a Summit Goliath today. I had researched all the brands and models, features and prices. No matter how much time you invest in your research, there is going to be a trial period before you determine if you made the right decision. By the way, I agree with your four criteria for tree stand selection. I don't think any other hunter would disagree as well. However, two additional factors should be considered: 1) what physical shape you are in and 2) what distances will you be packing the stand.

In the end, I chose the Summit Goliath over my two other semifinalists; the Grand Ol'Man and the Lone Wolf seat climber. The Ol'Man was least expensive and the Lone Wolf was most hi-tech in manufacture and least weight. All three ranged from 19 - 22 pounds. I chose the summit, for the following reasons: 1) I wanted the most comfortable stand that I could stay in all day, 2) I wanted the fewest steps involved in getting set-up, and 3) I wanted the most quietest stand with the fewest moving parts. In the end, the Summit came out tops in my selection. Did I make the best selection? Only days in the woods will answer this question. However, if I'm not satisfied, I will continue to buy different stands until I find the right one. These things are not like cars where we get to test drive them.

Good Luck with your selection and Happy Hunting !

3D Hunter 12-15-2003 03:20 PM

Hi,We have two API climbers the extreme Bowhunter.This is a very good stand.It is very quite and not hard to put up.This stand will hold 275 pounds,it only weighs 17 pounds.This stand is not much at all only $175.It is very easy to climb with.This was my first stand and I don't plan on changing.I would take my time and pick the right one.Good Luck:D

Cougar Mag 12-19-2003 08:25 AM

Smoke.....the Summit stands are more comfortable, if you are going to stay on stand all day long.

But after using a Loggy Bayou, new Summit Cobra, Ol Man Vision, and Lone Wolf Alpha sit-n-climb, my choice was the Lone Wolf. Why?

1. Quieter while fastening/unfastening, climbing and unpacking/packing
2. Traction belts grip like no other climbing stand and after 2 seasons of constant use, the belts show no wear!
3. Packs and carries like a dream! Nothing to poke you in the back and is very comfortable packing.
4. Rock solid in the tree and I feel completely safe
5. Patented Cam lock system is solid and very adjustable.
6. Climbing/front bar will swing down out of the way or can be used for a gun rest/arm rest.
For me the Lone Wolf is exactly what I wanted in a climber, and I have bowhunted since 1977.

yoz 12-22-2003 06:46 AM

Well I thought I'd put my 2 cents in on this subject. I have only used 3 different stands in my quest.

How you plan on using it is probably the most important part for selecting a tree stand. If you plan on moving it around alot or mainly sitting in a few different spots all day makes a big difference. I usualy hunt one or two spots and sit from dark to dark. My order goes like this
1.) Saftey
2.) Comfort
3.) Ease of use.

For me Hand climbers are definately out. To much energy and sweat getting up the tree. The sit and stand method is easy as it sounds. Finding a strategic location is paramount in my ventures so I'm not concerned too much about weight when I get it there it usualy stays there a while and I usualy put it on the tree a week or two prior to the hunt and lock it there. This method may not work for all hunters but I hunt where there are no other hunters usualy.
My selection is the Tree Lounge with bow platform. There are some disadvantages of this tree stand. It's very heavy 35lbs and expensive.but i've walked over a mile with it and it's not that bad but I wouldn't want to walk in in the morning with it and set it up. That is why I set it up ahead of time.
The benefits of the stand are worth it to me.
1.) It's quiet going up going down and seting up.
2.) It's by far the safest tree stand on the market it works on the cantilever principal and it just does not move 1" no matter what you do when up the tree.
3.) I have sat in it over 10hrs in comfort.
4.) I can shoot 360 degrees with bow or gun
5.) I can add or remove clothing while up in the tree with no problems.

Just thought I'd give my opion. Hope some of the info helps you

michaelb 12-31-2003 10:24 AM

The one thing you have to do is sit in one for a while. At Bass pro shops they usually have them set on a pole. You have to pick something that will be comfortable. I have an API grand slam supreme. I call it an all day climber because I can sit in it all day without a fidget because it's so comfortable. My API grand slam bowhunter, which I thought when I bought it, would be as comfortable as my supreme but isn't. I suggest you sit in one for at least an hour before you decide. you don't want any reason to squirm.

GOBBLER TRACKS 01-01-2004 04:49 AM

SUMMIT VIPER, I HAVE HAD FOR ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS THEY WORK GREAT.

mtair 01-04-2004 06:48 PM

i own a lone wolf climber , i would and do recomend it to any one, it sets up silently, is solid in the tree , packs in nicely, i even shot a deer (with a riffle ) while packing in for an after noon of hunting with it strapped to my back.

stringunnr 01-06-2004 08:36 AM

Hey smokepole. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the stands. I now mostly hunt out of hang on stands because when I want to be quiet...there is nothing like having one allready hanging. But when I do climb I use a summit they are easy, quiet and above all they grab a tree like no other...and that means safe!! Just remember to wear a saftey belt!! I don't like to read about one of my hunting friends get injured or dying!

Vinny

doebowhunter 01-06-2004 11:47 AM

I'm sure you've already bought your stand and I'm interested in what you bought and how you like it.

I bought a Summit Viper this year. Don't like it. It's packs fairly easy and is comfortable but it's really noisy during setup. What good is comfort if you've already scared all the deer away. I'm looking for something else.

mnsterbuckslayer17 01-07-2004 07:41 PM

The summit bullet is really comfortable and fairly quiet. I like it a lot, but all of the other three are great stands too. Any one of them will probably be fine.

2huntis2 01-08-2004 04:37 PM

Well Smokepole, I hunt with a "smoke pole" and a bow and I use a Tree Lounge climber. I use the tree lounge climber for 2 reasons, SAFETY, and COMFORT. :D It may be a little more expensive than some of the others and it may be 2 or 3 pounds heavier, but it IS the "cadillac" of tree stands.
My father is 68 years old and we got him a timber tall brand climber this year cause the lounge was a tad bit to heavy for him. (again he is 68 years old)Timber tall is the only stand on the market that has a platform adjustment so you don't have to sit in a slanted tree all day. It is quiet and steady and comfortable. Of course I had to test it on a hunt or 2 for him.:D:D
I'm not saying the others are not good stands, but you should compare options with price and as always your physical conditions too. Good luck on what ever you decide and happy hunting.

the Buffalo Hunter 01-09-2004 02:13 PM

well i been hunting for 42 years ,from sitting on limbs to ground .first what type of hunting bow or gun . i have used almost every type of tree stand and the only one that fits all my needs is a viper xl i think the safest ,comfotable easy to use you cant go wrong with them .