Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Whats the roughest terrain you have ever hunted? >

Whats the roughest terrain you have ever hunted?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Whats the roughest terrain you have ever hunted?

Old 11-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Whats the roughest terrain you have ever hunted?

I hunt a lot of steep mountainous terrain.
Route finding is not too much of a problem.
The electronics I carry are:
1/. GPS Garmin Etrex.
2/. UHF Radio. Uniden
3/. Satilite Beacon. GME

Each of these units weighs less than a half pound, so no big deal to carry.
I have most situations covered.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:31 PM

Kodiak Island - carrying a pack frame - but internal would have worked much better - up steep hills, choked with horizontal growing alders, steep tundra up and up. Shoot deer, fend off bears [], carry excessively heavy load down same hill in the dark, slippin' and slidin' trying not to kill myself and be attacked by a bear. But FUN? Oooweee that' s livin' -zeke
Old 11-28-2003, 07:36 PM

One tough place I hunted is Adams Peak if you go over the top and down to the bottom coming back up is tough as it is a lot of loose white sand or something like that.You have to angle your way back up on the deer trails. When I was young I tried going straight back up and my dad was just laughing. I learned my lesson.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It may pale in comparison to some of these places, but spring turkey hunting in Garrett county, MD can be pretty rough. The mountains there seem to be nearly vertical and you' re either climbing up a steep slope or sliding down one with each step. Add to the risk factors, the rocky, leaf-covered areas choked with briars, vines, unseen cliffs, snakes and predators like bears and mountain lions and you get the picture. I go out there a week or two every spring--often alone--and no one would know if I didn' t come back from hunting one day.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:15 PM

Rough terrain and PA normally don' t go hand in hand compared to some of the western and northern states, but I can say that I' ve been through some hellish hiking here! I can remember when I hunted at the one camp and we were putting on a deer drive across the face of a mountain that was cut down through with two very steep valleys. It was normally a real bugger to drive because of the laural and rhododendron choked benches that covered the entire face of the mountain, but a freak tornado had come in since the previous deer season and knocked down about 75% of the timber on that side and made the going next to impassable. But man, we were kicking the deer outta that mess, so we continued on and ended up driving it off for a second time that same week with good results! All the drivers needed some extra " bed" time in the evenings after tackling that mountain! I ached in places I didn' t even know I had, and I was only 28 at the time![X(]
Old 12-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Elk coutry in Colorado - More than a 45 degree decline with blown down in dark timber @ 10,500 ft. Nasty. Don't recommend it.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The roughest place I can remember was getting caught out in the woods during what they called the Columbus day storm here in Oregon . The winds got up to over 125 mph and in the deep forest no place is safe .
Old 12-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

The 37 feet from our bedroom to the front door without waking up my wife on Opening Day !