Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ear plugs

Old 11-27-2021, 04:46 PM
Spike

Default Ear plugs

Any recommendations on hunting hearing protection that turns on and off?
Old 11-28-2021, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Walkers game ear ear muff style and the in ear (ear bud style).. After using the ear muff type I have never used the ear buds. I don't like to sit in the woods with the power turned on the ear muffs the entire hunt. I put them on my head and if I see a deer I flip them on and slide them down. I wouldn't want to sit out there and "listen" to the ear buds all day and they would probably be a pain to try to put in quickly, especially with gloves on.

Old 11-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have electronic ear plug and ear muffs, I don't particularly like either one. They are ok till the wind is blowing and then they are noisy and hiss., I also don't like amplified noise, I don't need the noise amplified, I can tell which direction it is coming from without it being amplified. A good set of Sonic earplugs are all I need.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Another thing I like about the ear muffs, this year my son started hunting and is in the blind with me. The few times I thought he might get a shot I was able to whisper to him and he could hear me. I don't really rely on the electronic portion when hunting myself. it is nice at the range if I am talking to someone but I don't sit with them turned on while hunting.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:40 AM
Spike

Wink

You better get a hunting еarmuffs. I can recommend you like mine.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have electronic ear plug and ear muffs, I don't particularly like either one. They are ok till the wind is blowing and then they are noisy and hiss., I also don't like amplified noise, I don't need the noise amplified, I can tell which direction it is coming from without it being amplified. A good set of Sonic earplugs are all I need.
I'm with you OT . I hated them . I never used any of them hunting , but one guy at a camp I was staying at in Maine had the Walkers Game Ear Muffs and we were trying them out outside. With your eyes closed , you could hear someone walking , but you couldn't tell what direction they were coming from . I can easily hear and tell what direction the they were coming from without them . And you are right . They are totally worthless with any kind of wind . Even a small breeze sounds like a windstorm . I know I am better off without them .
Old 04-13-2022, 02:15 PM
Spike

I wear Sordin Supreme Pro-X muffs when I shoot. They work pretty well in the woods.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I started PRS shooting, I realized two things: 1) electronic ear pro is almost a necessity here, and 2) not all electronic ear pro are created equally, even within the same brand.

For example, I bought a set of Walker’s Youth ear muffs for my son - they’re not Omni directional or stereo, so he couldn’t really tell what direction sounds came from. His adult size Walker’s muffs are the same way - hard to tell which direction sounds actually come from, but much better in wind (aka, no wind noise unless wind is 30+ mph). The Walkers Silencer (non-Bluetooth) Rechargeable earbuds my wife has are terrible in wind, whereas my Bluetooth version are fantastic with no wind noise at all. Alternatively, my Bluetooth Silencer earbuds are fantastic for directionality and for wind suppression. My ProEars behind the neck muffs are fantastic in wind, and absolutely wonderful for directionality - as are my wife’s MSA Sordin’s.

I wear electronic ear pro now somewhere around 8-10hrs per weekend. I can’t recommend dirt cheap options, but I highly recommend the use of quality products.