HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Leupold, Pooheyyyy. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/42619-leupold-pooheyyyy.html)

strut 11-09-2003 06:52 PM

Leupold, Pooheyyyy.

Well I finally broke down and bought a Leupold VXII and got it mounted and de-mounted today. I have been using an old Tasco World Class on this rifle for about 15 years. It would consistently shoot 1-2" inches groups at a 100 yards. After about a box and a half of ammo I gave up on the Leupold, seemed like sometimes when you move the scope it would' nt move at all and then the next time you could move it just 1 or 2 clicks and it might change the point of impact almost a foot, I was shooting a regular target with a 1" red dot in the center, When I would finally get it to within a couple inches of the red and start trying to fine tune it by moving it just 1 or 2 clicks, it might shoot 3 or 4 inches off the other side of the red. I finally had to put my old Tasco back on the rifle and with 5 shots I had it just where I wanted it, with the last 2 shots about 3/4" apart at the top of the red. I hope Leopold will do something for me but I really wanted to use it this season but looks like that will be out, Very frustrating to say the least.

victorlvlb 11-09-2003 07:14 PM

RE: Leupold, Pooheyyyy.

I had the same problem back in 1975.Had a gunsmith install a leupold scope on my 3006.Turn out he used the wrong hardware.Same thing happened to my son three years later.We don' t use that gunsmith anymore.

strut 11-09-2003 07:20 PM

I have a set of Redfield bases and rings on this gun, I don' t know what hardware I would have wrong?

skeeter 7MM 11-09-2003 09:13 PM

If your shooting at 100 yards 2-3 clicks should only move the adjustment 1/2-3/4" not 3" , so I would say something is wrong with your scope in the windage adjustment(assuming the mounts are correct and installed properly). BTW this is not unheard of it happens with manufacturer' s from time to time. Loopy will fix it quickly but I would try and get an exchange from the place you bought it from to speed up the process.

Yes, it is disappointing and hope it is solved quickly for you.

strut 11-09-2003 09:33 PM

Yeah I know it has 1/4" clicks, I could' nt believe it when I got to shooting it, sometimes a couple clicks would' nt move it at all, so you could move it a couple more and it would change to POI 6" or so., You ought to saw my target, from one edge of the paper to the other, as long as you did' nt adjust the scope it would group really good, but you move it and no telling what it would do.

StevenA 11-10-2003 11:46 AM

Just bought a VX II for my 7mm-08 Encore. Windage is excellent, BUT point of impact keeps dropping with every shot.

Ruger-Redhawk 11-11-2003 02:52 PM

Sorry to hear that Strut, I' ve used Redfield bases and rings for many years and never had a problem with them. It' s doubtful that' s your problem either.Apparently like mentioned something is wrong with you windage adjustment. Leupold will make it right of course, but this is a bad time of year for this to happen.Since your scope is brand new the place you bought it from should exchange it for you.I' m surprised to hear this of a Leupold. I could see it if it were a Tasco,Simmons or any other low end scope.I hope you can get this taken care of and still have time to use it this season.
Ruger Redhawk

Tail Feathers 11-14-2003 03:46 PM

Sure sounds like a loose ring of mount to me. No scope should be that bad, especially a Leupold. Every time I ran into that problem, the rings were loose.

Dave590 11-14-2003 06:05 PM

I have a VX III on my .270, and my wife has one on her .243. I have only good things to say about them. I' ve had ' em about three years and since the initial sight in, I' ve not had to mess with any re-adjustments.

I would like to mention, When they were put on, they were put on with a Leopold base...It looks more like a frame and foundation rather than the conventional rings. Also, when I sighted them in, I brought along a rubber hammer and tapped on the scope knobs a few times after making each adjustment and before the next shot.

I hope you get it worked out, and with my limited knowledge of such things, I would investigate the " mount" angle a little more before giving up.

I would not hesitate to strap a Leopold on any new rifle I bought.

strut 11-16-2003 02:20 PM

Its not the rings or mount, I put my old scope back on using the same rings and mount and it shot fine, I set it back as close as I could tell in the same spot and it was about 3 inches low, I adjusted it up a little and had it hitting the top of the red at 100 yards, with the last 2 shots about 1/2" apart.