Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Are flat tires a pain on dollies and wheelbarrows? >

Are flat tires a pain on dollies and wheelbarrows?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Are flat tires a pain on dollies and wheelbarrows?

Old 06-20-2021, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb Are flat tires a pain on dollies and wheelbarrows?

You may use a dolly or a wheelbarrow to recover game from the field or do other tasks. I've discovered how to make changing a tube on various push vehicles easier.

Are dolly and wheelbarrow tire inner tubes a pain to work on unless the two rim halves are bolted together?

To dismount tire on one side of wheel only to remove inner tube:

-pry the bead over the rim on the valve stem side only; tube should be completely deflated for removal

-use three metal bicycle tire irons to pry tire bead over rim all the way around; don't use screwdrivers as they may damage a good tire or a tube repairable by patch
-you can now pull out the old tube as shown in the videos, it may be tricky

To install tube and mount tire:

-carefully push tube in around inside of rim on open bead side and align valve with hole in wheel, this takes some fiddling; see videos
-use vise-grip pliers to anchor one point of tire bead: clamp pliers onto lip of rim firmly
-press the bead under the rim where the pliers are clamped on
-work the bead around clockwise from the anchor point in one direction looking down from top
-use both hands, elbow grease and body weight to gradually press bead completely under the rim lip
-the pliers hold the bead in place to prevent slipping back over the rim at the starting anchor point
-it may help to have wheel held firmly in a bench vice or mounted on the vehicle to remount the tire bead
-it helps if you can press the bead back in place downward with the rim facing upward
-make sure the pliers jaws firmly clamp the rim just at the lip

If goat heads are a problem where you hunt, you may want to put the green Slime product of Flat Attack in your dolly or wheelbarrow tires to instantly seal punctures. A small bicycle pump is handy for game-recovery carts with pneumatic tires in the field too. I have Marathon tires on my Harper hand-truck and that rubber is not very pliable at all. I had to put a new Firestone inner tube in the other day. Tubeless tires are almost impossible to seat the bead at home. I spent $50 seven years ago replacing my stock tubeless dolly wheels with tube types. There is no way I could push the bead around the rim lip as the guy was doing in the video with the yellow wheel. Marathon tires have very stiff beads and my wheels are metal with relatively-sharp lips. The pliers clamped on the lip did the trick though to hold the bead under the rim lip at the start point. The wheel was on the dolly axle with the dolly lying on the floor sideways with the wheel facing up. I was able to sit in a chair and press the bead back around over the rim lip with the heels of both hands together as close to the rim lip as possible in the manner of giving a CPR patient chest compressions. I was just gradually working all away around the tire until I got back home to the pliers again. Of course, you will remove the pliers once the tire is back on the rim.

My methods beat the following video tutorials:

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-20-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally I never use tiers on wheel barrows or deer carts that take air
and that solves having to ever worry about a flat tire when far from home or have to Stop doing work!
it just solves that issue all together!

OR you can also have the tire filled with foam (also sell many fix a flat things that can fix many slower leaks !

I have changed hundreds of tires over the yrs on other things just not many on wheel barrows and ZERO on deer carts!
(30+ yrs of racing things with tires, and a lot of farm and heavy equipment, tends to make you get good at changing/replacing tires and experience ion how to NOT get them and or easy fixes to keep you going!o)

Last edited by mrbb; 06-20-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have found out since age 10, that wheelbarrows and dollies with pneumatic tires roll so much easier with heavy loads and especially so over uneven surfaces. Hard non-inflatable tires also cause more vibration while working with the push vehicle which can fatigue the human body. Air tires absorb shock and make work much easier.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pneumatic tires on a game cart are a fool’s game.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Pneumatic tires on a game cart are a fool’s game.
I need to read up more on deer carts. It seems like stock ones have bicycle tires from the pictures I have seen. I'm not afraid of using a wheelbarrow with an aired-up tire to wheel a little doe to the truck. Probably no more than a mile though. Stand/blind hunters are generally close to where they park the truck. In Oklahoma they charge $500 a day or more to rent a stupid ATV. Ideally, I'd like to hunt deer on a property with road motor vehicle access for game recovery. The closer to where she falls, the better. Maybe make that wheelbarrow trip no more than a football field length.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

You're making a big deal out of nothing really.

If you are an average person then getting a doe to the truck from 100 yards is no problem. It would be more hassle for most people to get out a wheelbarrow then to just drag the deer that distance.

Game carts come in handy in some circumstances no doubt. Especially as guys age probably and dragging or packing out a deer isn't as safe on the back as it is for younger folks. But most of the places I hunt in I couldn't get a cart into anyway.

-Jake
Old 06-21-2021, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree trying to use a wheel barrel to recover deer shot in the woods is a major pain in the butt, and not worth the hassle, you will get very frustrated using one for deer recovery!
way easier to just drag it for the average adult !

and the LARGER the tire the easier they roll over things, and why most deer carts have tall tires

most all public lands has very tight regulations on using vehicles to recover game, be it an ATV type vehicle or a truck!
, due to the amount of damage that happens doing so!

and this is also why many land owners of private lands don't let hunters have free access to drive any where they need too, to recover a deer!
there can be exceptions for disabled hunters with special permits.

millions of hunter each and every yr recover there deer with a simple drag rope, NO special tools required

maybe rather than spending money on trying to buying things based on THOUGHTS your having, just go spend some time in a Gym, and or just get some FREE exercise being more active , Like maybe wandering some local forest and fields and LEARNING more about wildlife by actually doing some exploring
as its NEVER too soon to start scouting for a GOOD place to hunt deer, or to START learning getting REAL experience in places deer actually live!over just reading about things!
the exercise will make your more able to get your deer out IF and when ever you actually TRY hunting for one over just talking about it!

which would bring up a question for you from ME??

WHEN do you actually PLAN to start doing any of the things your reading about and WHEN Do you actually plan to start HUNTING??

seems your 1 and only deer hunt too place a few decades ago now
so, when will this next deer hunt be?

Old 06-21-2021, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Due to having a bad back, but a love for deer hunting, I use a home made cart to haul my deer out of the woods. My cart is made from an old aluminum extension ladder, some aluminum tubing, and hard rubber 20" cart wheels. Most of my deer stands are a mile or more from where I can park my truck, so dragging is out of the question. If I am lucky and down a deer. I walk back to the truck, assemble my cart, and go back for the deer. It involves a few trips, but I can walk all day but I couldn't drag a deer that far without putting myself in traction for a week.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

And that's a great reason FS. Using a cart let's you keep doing it(and hunting pretty deep too!)

There's certainly reasons and times that would be good for a deer cart. For most people it's not when moving a deer 100 yards. And just for me personally most places I hunt (and in my physical condition and age) it would be more trouble than it's worth.
​​​​​​I have used a plastic sled more than once though. If there's snow on the ground and it's not too thick where you're hunting a sled makes it easy work.

For the most part if a deer is too difficult for me to easily get it to a truck, I'll just quarter it up right there on the ground and pack it out. It's coming apart anyway once it's out of the woods, so sometimes it's easier to save a step and just do it there.

I take pride in my deer dragging ability though. A few years ago hunting with T.shaffer(rip buddy.) I was dragging a deer out for him and beat him back to the truck. About a 300 yard drag out. He liked to tell that story and told everyone we hunted with that if they get one he'd just hook me to it and they didn't need to worry about it. Head down, push forward and take a break when the dragging is done! (Unless you have physical concerns. No reason to hurt yourself- take your time and enjoy the process!)

I once drug two deer out together about 600 yards. My uncle had shot a buck and called for help getting it out. Now in my mind that means make the call to get help coming, then start doing the work. When we got there , there my uncle sits- waiting on us. That buck hadn't moved an inch from where it fell, we gave him a hard time about that. I liked the area and went back to hunt it with two doe tags in my pocket. Filled both doe tags, hooked them up together and started dragging. Refused any help. Wanted to say I drug two deer out together where he couldn't drag one. Get a lot of laughs to this day. And occasionally when we have multiple deer down someone suggests I just drag both. I politely decline. Wasn't fun, but I made my point lol.

Now I'm rambling. And my shoulder is sore from patting my back.

-Jake
Old 06-21-2021, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve made use of game carts, 4 wheelers and UTV’s, mini-trucks, actual trucks and SUV’s, drag sleds, simple ropes, improvised travois’, load-hauling packs, and American muscle to transport game from the field.

I’ve pushed wheelbarrows for hundreds of miles in my life, and nothing on God’s Green Earth would make me believe it to be a worthy tool for game transport.

I’ll mention with confidence and experience which our OP lacks, to choose to use pneumatic tires on a game cart is to choose to not use a game cart. The hassle and time lost in patching, repairing, or replacing tubes or tires will far outweigh the time and effort to simply drag the animal on the bare rim or on the ground.

I tend to find a travois quite pleasant to pull if I can’t get quarters or complete animal on my pack. Otherwise, a solid tire game cart, especially pulled behind my 4 wheeler is my favored method.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.