Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Are flat tires a pain on dollies and wheelbarrows? >

Are flat tires a pain on dollies and wheelbarrows?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Are flat tires a pain on dollies and wheelbarrows?

Old 06-21-2021, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
You're making a big deal out of nothing really.

If you are an average person then getting a doe to the truck from 100 yards is no problem. It would be more hassle for most people to get out a wheelbarrow then to just drag the deer that distance.

Game carts come in handy in some circumstances no doubt. Especially as guys age probably and dragging or packing out a deer isn't as safe on the back as it is for younger folks. But most of the places I hunt in I couldn't get a cart into anyway.

-Jake
Absolutely right, dragging around a wheelbarrow while hunting is ridiculous and a single wheel is not stable enough to move a load that is not stable and on uneven or uphill terrain, and a dolly isn't made for use off of hard surfaces. For a guy who knows nothing about hunting, according to him, he gives a lot of advice which I find really funny. I have some advice for him, you cannot google your way to hunting knowledge, you have to do it. I cringe every time I see a post by ACJ but it is like a train wreck, you just can't look away.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-21-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

It certainly provides some much needed entertainment.

-Jake
Old 06-21-2021, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

The easiest time I ever had dragging a deer out from 2+ miles off the beaten path was with a farmers mule. I walked out of the woods and spotted the farmer in his yard. I asked him if he would be willing to help me get a deer out of the woods that was quite aways in. When I told him approximately where the deer was, he said that is some pretty rough country (which it was. Hilly and steep) He said he had just the thing for the job, and for a hind quarter he would help me out. I said it was a deal. His mule stood about 16 hands high, but that critter could go just about anywhere. The two of us hoisted the deer onto the mules back, lashed it down, and had a leisurely walk back to the farm. Butchered the deer in the farmers barn and gave him his hind quarter. We have been great friends ever since, and he has used his mule to haul a few more deer for me and to pack my camping gear into my hunting spot.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Here in Vermont all deer has to be presented field dressed and whole to a check station within 48 hours of harvest. Most buck deer are somewhere between 120 and 200 + pounds. Dragging is the most common way people get their deer out of the woods. Since getting older I now mostly hunt close to home and can usually get a wheeler to them which makes it easier. When I hunted out west for mule deer and elk we quartered and boned them and took them out on pack frames.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Absolutely right, dragging around a wheelbarrow while hunting is ridiculous and a single wheel is not stable enough to move a load that is not stable and on uneven or uphill terrain, and a dolly isn't made for use off of hard surfaces. For a guy who knows nothing about hunting, according to him, he gives a lot of advice which I find really funny. I have some advice for him, you cannot google your way to hunting knowledge, you have to do it. I cringe every time I see a post by ACJ but it is like a train wreck, you just can't look away.
My advice was about fixing dollies and wheelbarrows with flat tires, not how to hunt per se. I was a mechanic by trade for 15 years so I know something about tires. My only deer hunting experience up until now was with a paid guide on private property. The guide did all the hard and dirty work. My last taken deer, a yearling buck lay dead, in a small depression in the side of a mild-sloping hill. The guide went back to his ranch home and got his Dodge 4x4 while I waited by my quarry. The man told me to enjoy my buck as he was fetching his pickup. My guide and I only had to drag the little 95-pound buck by a horn one person each no more than 100 feet down the slope to his truck. Nowadays, I contemplate doing deer hunting sans guide and on WLM lands or public-accessible private lands. It's a game changer for sure, no pun intended. I now live in largely-flat SW Oklahoma. I'm going to have to go out scout the terrain of prospective deer lands, study the rules and restrictions of the lands in question, assess the shape my body is in and try to figure something out. One could also maybe pay somebody to do the hard labor of dragging deer out. Depending on terrain conditions in my neck of the woods, deer carts or wheelbarrows may or may not work. ATVs or pickup trucks may or may not be allowed directly onto the hunting fields. I can only tell by going out and scouting a particular deer property. I need to check the vehicle accessibility of hunting lands under consideration.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

More train wreck. Still haven't driven anywhere to scout have you?
Old 06-21-2021, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nah, he is looking for advice on easy, he is not a hunter nor will he ever be a hunter. As The Bard said, he struts his hour upon the stage, full of sound and fury signifying nothing! All hat and no cowboy! He is an internet hunter.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I asked when he plans to hunt deer, and got NO answer, so, who knows if he will ever even do more than type on a key board!
Old 06-21-2021, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Then there are electric carts!! Lithium battery technology. Some electric deer carts cost a good used car. Some of these utility jobs can be had for under a grand.This one is supposed to go three hours on a full charge.

I'm 57 and no athlete anymore. I don't know when I will start hunting again. I have a lot of homework to do first.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones

I'm 57 and no athlete anymore. I don't know when I will start hunting again. I have a lot of homework to do first.
I think this has answered the question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.