Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

the minimalist approach

Old 06-12-2021, 03:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boca, the guy is a troll posting under the guise that he actually wants to learn something, he doesn't, I doubt that is him in the photo with the deer he posted, in fact I doubt everything he says.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

I don't. He's had enough posts elsewhere. He's just odd. Odd and different doesn't make him a liar.

This isn't the first time he's had trouble "making friends". I'm guessing everywhere he's been in life he's been an odd one.

​​​​
-Jake
Old 06-12-2021, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
The folks at my state-specific hunting forum website (name undisclosed here) seem rather friendly. I've only been asking them about where to hunt specifically does with guns in my home state, Oklahoma, so far and have been indicating that by studying the state's WMA and OLAP listings at the ODWC website, there are a substantial number of such lands with weapons/sex/days restrictions that it takes some work to find areas and seasons where does may legally die by modern rifle. One nice guy there, a fellow army veteran, suggested I try to see if I have hunting privileges at Fort Sill Army post in Lawton, OK. I was actually a soldier stationed there some 30+ years ago. I will try not to pester them about a comprehensive hunting gear checklist. I don't want to develop bad repute there as I seem to have here. Some members are sensitive. Some, perhaps most, if not all, of my threads here haven't been well-received so far. Of course, nobody will take me serious about hunting here until I actually come back with current pictures with my face, gun and quarry. That's OK. I will lay of this forum a while and concentrate on my state-specific hunting forum more. But to prove that I wasn't lying about my hunting past with a rancher guide, here is my picture of a 1996 deer hunt.
well I think you maybe caught onto something I already told you here
Keep your post to more 1 specific topic and you will get better help

your post on the other forum is more specif to ONE question , in ONE post
where here you posted a lot of things and many not even questions, and then you didn't seem happy with answers/replies you got
and then got some what negative to some folks
all of this is why you didn;t get much GOOD feedback you were maybe hoping for here
many folks here DID try to help you, but you just failed to see it
as you go of on tangents that are not helping you gain any info!
I was able to , read learn and teach myself how to hunt, shoot and become a very good in the outdoors all on my own at as a kid, and its NOT that uncommon for younger folks to learn these things on there own either! all that is needed is desire and putting forth the simple efforts to do so!

and this is why many folks here seem to struggle with you, , as we maybe don't understand WHY you as an adult,
some who boldly stated and proclaims them-self to be very educated person seem to be unable to do so ??

that common alone, makes us experienced folks wonder if your being REAL, just trying to stir the pot so to speak or what!
as a truckle educated person can ask cleaner questions, to help themselves get exact answers they want!
that ??

you say you got information on new forum on where to hunt
Well< I provided you with that info too, gave you links to places to hunt!
but seems you were looking for for someone maybe to tell you exactly WHERE to go, and you not doing your side of effort to FIND a place to hunt, wanting a more easy way out of finding a place to hunt , over you actually looking for one!
or they just have the ability to just find the answers they seek on there own without asking for help period! all the more so when the information and the answers are already out there to be read!!
which doesn't help so a lot o see any DESIRE to learn much about hunting to many experienced hunters
just shows you want more of someone to hold your hand and say/tell you what to do,
like!~ GO HERE< TAKE THIS< DO THIS< and then your magically a HUNTER! and hunting on your own!

sadly that isn;'t learning anything really, its just following words from some one else that MAYBE did the work already, you trying to reap the rewards off there work!
again,m many folks here are very helpful to new hunters and experienced hunters and people in general

but it take two willing people to give and take help!
either one shows attitude or lack of respect appreciation and it all goes down the crapper really fast!
I again wish you best of luck, as I think your going to need it based on many of your posts! you have way of saying things, that might offend the folks that WANT to help you!
and as posted above, I gather this is something maybe you already know !
no bash here either, just stating some things to think about maybe!
Old 06-12-2021, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, mmrb, I goofed royally here. You see, these forums aren't like having conversations with a person you know face to face. Perhaps, I should realize there are real people reading things here. It's not just some computers I'm talking to.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very well, sir, my diplomacy needs improvement. I will strive to from now on kick those little negative words aside in my writing. Some forms of hunting, fishing, employment or other human pursuits might take more physical work than others but I won't be specific. I now understand I can't fairly compare deer hunting and ground squirrel varminting with any other species (in regards to how tough these various sports are) since I have only done deer hunting and ground squirrel varminting and no other species taken with a gun for sport or pest control. Yes, I must be careful whom or what I knock or judge. Bad karma may come back. Some dove hunter, for all I know, might save my life someday with first aid in an accident.

Are we all cool?
No, we're not cool. Not really. You got called on being a schmuck and are now being snarky like some kid in Jr High or HS. This is a hunting forum for people that hunt and you persist in bashing different types of hunting and hunters. How tough these various types of hunting are is mainly irrelevant. If one likes to hike miles into a wilderness area with a backpack for elk or deer and then hike out with their meat, horns, etc. on the backpack, more power to them. If somebody prefers to dove hunt, pheasant, duck, geese, whatever, also more power to them. They're all hunting. Unlike you who sit at your computer and bash people as if you're anti-hunting or something. Nobody on here has bashed you for your sole deer hunt back in the 90's. Having hunted in that area before, those ranches are fenced and have trails that you can drive a pickup or quad. The pasture where your buck photos were taken looks like a horse pasture. Yet nobody on here has "guessed" that you were likely driven to a field with bucks, shot one and then were driven back to the horse pasture with your buck for one of those tough hunts you keep talking about. It doesn't matter if that's an accurate guess or not since you were hunting to your level and got a buck. However, it's pretty cheesy to bash other hunters when you know the real extent of your hunting experience.

You want to change things on this forum? Change your attitude and stop bashing people. Ask all the questions you want but don't tell people they're wrong when they only answered your questions and tried to help you. You don't have to follow their suggestions or answers but telling them that they're wrong when it's obviously worked for them already is not only pointless but also pretty dumb. Post with a bit of class instead of snark and act like maybe you might be worth hunting with for any members who live in your neck of the woods. Trying to act like you're better than other people and insulting them is never a good way to make new friends. But perhaps you've already noticed that. If so, continuing with the same failed methods reminds one of the saying attributed to Einstein--The definition of insanity is continuing to bang your head against the same wall and expecting different results.

Last edited by elkman30; 06-12-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, mmrb, I goofed royally here. You see, these forums aren't like having conversations with a person you know face to face. Perhaps, I should realize there are real people reading things here. It's not just some computers I'm talking to.
I am really trying to see the good in your posts but posts like this make it extremely difficult. Posting on a forum or anywhere on the internet is never like having a face to face conversation with other people. But saying that people who post here are some kind of bot instead of real people is just plain insulting.

I don't think you're a troll but agree with Jake that you have a very "odd and different" way of communicating. If so, that's nothing that members on this forum can really help you with. It's really only something you can adjust or not. I wish you luck on both.

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-12-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

-vehicle (pickup, truck, etc.) -ice chests with ice to pack body cavity to cool carcass -apron -jugs of water and a small pail to flush body cavity -large bucket to dump guts into -long disposable field dressing gloves to keep clothing/hands/arms clean while gutting -few large trash bags -sharp knife -sharp gut hook - -gambrel with hoist to clean deer hanging from tree branch -shovel to bury guts -game bag or tarp to cover carcass -handheld GPS -small backpack -rain poncho -coffee thermos -lunch -sighted-in rifle -loads -gloves -orange hat -orange vest -clothing depending upon weather -waterproof boots -extra socks -sidearm in belt holster -watch -license, tags, permit,etc.- means of attaching tag to animal -t.p. -e-tool -a deer cart or wheelbarrow - a butt plug to keep deerchit from contacting your meat
Wow. Wonder how I have managed to fill all those deer tags with only a fanny pack full of gear and 5 rounds of ammo? I have even killed a number of deer when all I had was the shells that would fit in my rifle and a pocket knife to field dress it with. Rather than being concerned about what gear to take, I'd be concerned about learning about the sport of hunting. How to find game. How to read sign. How to look at the terrain and decide where to begin looking. How to understand how the weather impacts game. How to properly place a shot. How to actually enjoy yourself in the woods.

Your list tells me you have VERY LITTLE actual hunting experience which is fine but your posts kind of show that you have some contempt for those that do have experience. I wonder if you even know how much experience some of us have that have tried to help you. Here is mine:

I have hunted in 13 different states, 2 Canadian Provinces and done 5 African Safaris.
I have taken 98 deer to date with a mix of mulies, whitetails and blacktails and I shot my first deer at 9 years old with a 30-30.
I have taken 25 elk.
I have taken 14 Pronghorn Antelope.
I have taken 2 Sika Deer.
I have taken 2 Black Bear.
I have taken 4 bison.
I have taken 3 alligators.
I have taken 1 Bighorn Sheep
I have Taken 1 Mountain Goat
I have taken 1 Stone Sheep
I have taken 1 Blackbuck
I have taken 1 Aoudad Sheep.
I have taken 1 Texas Dahl Sheep
I have taken more hogs than I can count.

In Africa I have taken Cape Kudu, Southern Greater Kudu, Cape Eland, Impala, Common Springbok, Black Springbok, Cape Bushbuck, Blesbok, Red Hartebeest, Western Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Warthog, Burchell's Zebra, Vaal Rhebok, Oribi, Common Waterbuck, Western Roan, Red-Flanked Duiker, Olive Baboon, Gemsbok, Nigerian Bhor Reedbuck and a butt load of Guinea Fowl for the pot.

I would like to help you but get the feeling you really don't want any help. But if the OP wants to get an idea about how I hunt and what I carry he can read this about a buck I took off public land in TX last season.
Day of the Deer

Last edited by flags; 06-12-2021 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-12-2021, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
Wow. Wonder how I have managed to fill all those deer tags with only a fanny pack full of gear and 5 rounds of ammo? I have even killed a number of deer when all I had was the shells that would fit in my rifle and a pocket knife to field dress it with

That's cause you're one of them yokels I keep hearing about. Only a yokel would hunt like that.

-Jake
Old 06-12-2021, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
That's cause you're one of them yokels I keep hearing about. Only a yokel would hunt like that.

-Jake
Trust me, I have been called worse.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by elkman30
No, we're not cool. Not really. You got called on being a schmuck and are now being snarky like some kid in Jr High or HS. This is a hunting forum for people that hunt and you persist in bashing different types of hunting and hunters. How tough these various types of hunting are is mainly irrelevant. If one likes to hike miles into a wilderness area with a backpack for elk or deer and then hike out with their meat, horns, etc. on the backpack, more power to them. If somebody prefers to dove hunt, pheasant, duck, geese, whatever, also more power to them. They're all hunting. Unlike you who sit at your computer and bash people as if you're anti-hunting or something. Nobody on here has bashed you for your sole deer hunt back in the 90's. Having hunted in that area before, those ranches are fenced and have trails that you can drive a pickup or quad. The pasture where your buck photos were taken looks like a horse pasture. Yet nobody on here has "guessed" that you were likely driven to a field with bucks, shot one and then were driven back to the horse pasture with your buck for one of those tough hunts you keep talking about. It doesn't matter if that's an accurate guess or not since you were hunting to your level and got a buck. However, it's pretty cheesy to bash other hunters when you know the real extent of your hunting experience.

You want to change things on this forum? Change your attitude and stop bashing people. Ask all the questions you want but don't tell people they're wrong when they only answered your questions and tried to help you. You don't have to follow their suggestions or answers but telling them that they're wrong when it's obviously worked for them already is not only pointless but also pretty dumb. Post with a bit of class instead of snark and act like maybe you might be worth hunting with for any members who live in your neck of the woods. Trying to act like you're better than other people and insulting them is never a good way to make new friends. But perhaps you've already noticed that. If so, continuing with the same failed methods reminds one of the saying attributed to Einstein--The definition of insanity is continuing to bang your head against the same wall and expecting different results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.