Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

the minimalist approach

Old 06-11-2021, 12:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Maybe “one” of us here thinks that way. Speaking as the undisputed harshest mouth in the room for many years around here, I’ll tell you it’s poor form to walk around like your chain hangs low, and so casually casting rocks at other users. Even by my standards.

I - for “one” - have never considered dove hunting to be lazy by any stretch, and largely, it’s as cheap as you make it.

But then again, WTF would I know. I mean, heck, I’ve actually hunted dove in the real world, for decades, so I’m naturally going to fall short on the subject to someone who read a book and some Google articles on the topic.
I've been deer hunting in mildly-hilly terrain, walking not stand, but never dove hunting. From a good number of dove videos I've seen, I dare say there is much less hoofing it involved in dove. If you have a 4-legged or two-legged retriever, there is even less walking so. Is breasting out a limit of dove more labor intensive than gutting and dragging a deer? It would be interesting to measure the calories burned on a walking deer hunt and compare them with the calories burned on a stool dove shoot from field to freezer.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-11-2021 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Maybe “one” of us here thinks that way. Speaking as the undisputed harshest mouth in the room for many years around here, I’ll tell you it’s poor form to walk around like your chain hangs low, and so casually casting rocks at other users. Even by my standards.

I - for “one” - have never considered dove hunting to be lazy by any stretch, and largely, it’s as cheap as you make it.

But then again, WTF would I know. I mean, heck, I’ve actually hunted dove in the real world, for decades, so I’m naturally going to fall short on the subject to someone who read a book and some Google articles on the topic.
Excellent post, the guy has become so annoying it is incredible.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
I've been deer hunting in mildly-hilly terrain, walking not stand, but never dove hunting. From a good number of dove videos I've seen, I dare say there is much less hoofing it involved in dove. If you have a 4-legged or two-legged retriever, there is even less walking so. Is breasting out a limit of dove more labor intensive than gutting and dragging a deer? It would be interesting to measure the calories burned on a walking deer hunt and compare them with the calories burned on a stool dove shoot from field to freezer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIi8JuHMu8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGa18c-wJls

You should quit while you are behind. For a guy who knows so little about hunting you sure say a lot. I don't care how many videos you watched on the varied methods of hunting, you know nothing, and to have the temerity to argue and get snotty with experienced hunters tells me you really didn't come to this website to learn anything, there are folks here with over 50 years of hunting experience on many species , You killed one deer, maybe, because I am not sure I even believe that, and you didn't even drag it out of the place where you shot it someone else did . Just exactly what is your game?

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-11-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIi8JuHMu8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGa18c-wJls
If you're that worried about expending more calories on a dove hunt, you probably shouldn't dove hunt. Same for deer hunting although you had a guide expending those calories. Most new hunters want to learn how to hunt their chosen game well, care for the meat of whatever animals they bagged and then cook said meat so it's tasty. You seem to be interested in other esoteric parts of non-hunting like calories expended, overly large gear lists and whining about there being a shortage of hunting land available instead of following numerous member suggestions on how to find places to hunt. Millions of people hunt each year so there's obviously property and game left to hunt. It's hard to help somebody that doesn't want to help themselves and do whatever work is required. Like go out in the field and hunt. And for the record, dove hunters aren't "lazy." Dove hunters (even your video hunters) put in prep work, setup, hunt and then do whatever work is necessary after the hunt to preserve the meat. If you think about it, they work a lot harder than some keyboard novice bashing them on a forum.

Last edited by elkman30; 06-11-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by elkman30
If you're that worried about expending more calories on a dove hunt, you probably shouldn't dove hunt. Same for deer hunting although you had a guide expending those calories. Most new hunters want to learn how to hunt their chosen game well, care for the meat of whatever animals they bagged and then cook said meat so it's tasty. You seem to be interested in other esoteric parts of non-hunting like calories expended, overly large gear lists and whining about there being a shortage of hunting land available instead of following numerous member suggestions on how to find places to hunt. Millions of people hunt each year so there's obviously property and game left to hunt. It's hard to help somebody that doesn't want to help themselves and do whatever work is required. Like go out in the field and hunt. And for the record, dove hunters aren't "lazy." Dove hunters (even your video hunters) put in prep work, setup, hunt and then do whatever work is necessary after the hunt to preserve the meat. If you think about it, they work a lot harder than some keyboard novice bashing them on a forum.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

The folks at my state-specific hunting forum website (name undisclosed here) seem rather friendly. I've only been asking them about where to hunt specifically does with guns in my home state, Oklahoma, so far and have been indicating that by studying the state's WMA and OLAP listings at the ODWC website, there are a substantial number of such lands with weapons/sex/days restrictions that it takes some work to find areas and seasons where does may legally die by modern rifle. One nice guy there, a fellow army veteran, suggested I try to see if I have hunting privileges at Fort Sill Army post in Lawton, OK. I was actually a soldier stationed there some 30+ years ago. I will try not to pester them about a comprehensive hunting gear checklist. I don't want to develop bad repute there as I seem to have here. Some members are sensitive. Some, perhaps most, if not all, of my threads here haven't been well-received so far. Of course, nobody will take me serious about hunting here until I actually come back with current pictures with my face, gun and quarry. That's OK. I will lay of this forum a while and concentrate on my state-specific hunting forum more. But to prove that I wasn't lying about my hunting past with a rancher guide, here is my picture of a 1996 deer hunt.
Attached Thumbnails the minimalist approach-96-deer-hunt.jpg  

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-11-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

I've followed your posts on the other forum.. you haven't called any of them uneducated, lazy, or anything else.

Maybe that has something to do with it.

-Jake
Old 06-11-2021, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

Very well, sir, my diplomacy needs improvement. I will strive to from now on kick those little negative words aside in my writing. Some forms of hunting, fishing, employment or other human pursuits might take more physical work than others but I won't be specific. I now understand I can't fairly compare deer hunting and ground squirrel varminting with any other species (in regards to how tough these various sports are) since I have only done deer hunting and ground squirrel varminting and no other species taken with a gun for sport or pest control. Yes, I must be careful whom or what I knock or judge. Bad karma may come back. Some dove hunter, for all I know, might save my life someday with first aid in an accident.

Are we all cool?

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-11-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Just explaining the difference between the way you were received at each forum.

-Jake

Old 06-11-2021, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

When one thinks cheap and lazy, they think dove. .

This is not the way a normal person would compare types of hunting. Just isn't.

Anyway, any type of hunting is harder than not hunting.

Why has it been about 25 years since your last hunt?

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.