Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

the minimalist approach

Old 06-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Question the minimalist approach

Does anybody here hunt game with a minimalist approach? How light can you travel to the game field while still being safe, legal, proper, productive and comfortable? In cold weather your gear is probably going to be heavier than it would be in fall for deer.

Oklahoma is a plains state more southerly, above Texas.

Does this look like a good checklist for an OK deer hunter during gun season, say November, assuming the hunt starts early in the morning at legal shooting hour? This also assumes a traditional walking hunt where one might just sit on a log and wait for deer to come down a trail in an area that's already been scouted by you. This also assumes you can get your unskinned/unquartered quarry to a game processor in a reasonable amount of time. Some processors are open for business 7 days a week during deer season but I would want to make sure I hunt on a Sunday if the local processor isn't open again until Monday morning. What might you add or deduct from my checklist if YOU were to hunt deer in a state like Oklahoma or Texas?

-vehicle (pickup, truck, etc.) -ice chests with ice to pack body cavity to cool carcass -apron -jugs of water and a small pail to flush body cavity -large bucket to dump guts into -long disposable field dressing gloves to keep clothing/hands/arms clean while gutting -few large trash bags -sharp knife -sharp gut hook - -gambrel with hoist to clean deer hanging from tree branch -shovel to bury guts -game bag or tarp to cover carcass -handheld GPS -small backpack -rain poncho -coffee thermos -lunch -sighted-in rifle -loads -gloves -orange hat -orange vest -clothing depending upon weather -waterproof boots -extra socks -sidearm in belt holster -watch -license, tags, permit,etc.- means of attaching tag to animal -t.p. -e-tool -a deer cart or wheelbarrow - a butt plug to keep deerchit from contacting your meat

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-07-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way too much gear and way too complicated process for hunting whitetail in OK.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

Question

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Way too much gear and way too complicated process for hunting whitetail in OK.
Some items may be required to legally hunt: license, tags, permits, hunter orange. Of course we all need a vehicle for transportation and a gun and ammo during gun season. Gear needs may depend on individuals,terrain and weather conditions. If you are as strong as Rambo you might be able to get by without a deer cart or a wheelbarrow.

What might some people here eliminate from my checklist above if they were to hunt deer in a relatively flat state like Oklahoma? Do YOU really need a GPS?

I did a fun Google search and found this link:
https://www.advancedhunter.com/deer-hunting-checklist/

Stuff in the gear list I don't know what it is or I don't think it's necessary, I bolded in red.

Field Packing Checklist

Now we come to the fun part, organizing your hunting pack for the big day.

You might be tempted to throw every gadget you own into the pack, but like one of my favorite bloggers likes to say “Don’t be Like Batman”. Don’t be that guy strutting through the woods with a piece of gear attached to every loop, and stuffed in each pouch.

Invest in quality gear that you can rely on, and pack only the essential gear. When in doubt, ask yourself if it will actually help you kill something, or help preserve the game when you do take an animal.

Hunting Backpack or Day Pack Bow Release GPS/Map/Compass Hunting Licenses/Tags (Check Again!) Ammo/Arrows/Broadheads Calls/Scents First Aid Kit Firearm/Bow Drag Rope Means of FireHeadlamp/Flashlight Hunting Knife/Multi-Tool Cell Phone Glow Sticks Folding Saw Tree Stand/<Safety HarnessHunting BinocularsBug Spray Wear Your Blaze Orange Binocular Harness Hand Warmers Paracord (what is this?) Rangefinder Water & Snacks Game Bags/Latex Gloves Rain Gear Extra Layers (depends on how cold the weather is)

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-08-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Some items may be required to legally hunt: license, tags, permits, hunter orange. Of course we all need a vehicle for transportation and a gun and ammo during gun season. Gear needs may depend on individuals,terrain and weather conditions. If you are as strong as Rambo you might be able to get by without a deer cart or a wheelbarrow.

What might some people here eliminate from my checklist above if they were to hunt deer in a relatively flat state like Oklahoma? Do YOU really need a GPS?

I did a fun Google search and found this link:
https://www.advancedhunter.com/deer-hunting-checklist/

Stuff in the gear list I don't know what it is or I don't think it's necessary, I bolded in red.

Field Packing Checklist

Now we come to the fun part, organizing your hunting pack for the big day.

You might be tempted to throw every gadget you own into the pack, but like one of my favorite bloggers likes to say “Don’t be Like Batman”. Don’t be that guy strutting through the woods with a piece of gear attached to every loop, and stuffed in each pouch.

Invest in quality gear that you can rely on, and pack only the essential gear. When in doubt, ask yourself if it will actually help you kill something, or help preserve the game when you do take an animal.

Hunting Backpack or Day Pack Bow Release GPS/Map/Compass Hunting Licenses/Tags (Check Again!) Ammo/Arrows/Broadheads Calls/Scents First Aid Kit Firearm/Bow Drag Rope Means of FireHeadlamp/Flashlight Hunting Knife/Multi-Tool Cell Phone Glow Sticks Folding Saw Tree Stand/<Safety HarnessHunting BinocularsBug Spray Wear Your Blaze Orange Binocular Harness Hand Warmers Paracord (what is this?) Rangefinder Water & Snacks Game Bags/Latex Gloves Rain Gear Extra Layers (depends on how cold the weather is)

as for all your items in RED< its up to the user to decide if there needed or not, pendding type of hunt, location and hunters skill set
like DO YOU NEED A GPS<
can you navigate the woods and forset and fields without one, , I can,
but can YOU
IF NOT< then MAYBE you need one, that or carry a compass , that is IF you know how to use that as well

as if you don't know how to navigate a GPS can be helpful, BUT it requires batteries, so, it can fail
this is where experience comes into play and you get it by doing things, starting out small and venturing farther and so on!

First aid kits< always good to carry, will you NEED IT< I hope not, but accidents are called that for a reasons! and they can happen at any time
a few basic items can be carried easy, rest can be left at a vehicle, and in modern times, a cell phone can get help in MOST Places and getting better all the time, super remote places a satellite phone is a suggested item maybe? not on your list!
all the rest of your RED item,s, again are up to the hunter, based on what they FEEL they need and will use on THERE hunt, all can be needed or useful, but not need by others

just so you know, I gather about 90 % of Deer hunters in most states do NOT use deer carts to remove deer from the woods and most don't look like Rambo or as strong as he in the movies is!
I also doubt many wear any gloved when field dressing there game
and in MOST places they do NOT haul out there deer with the guts still in them, its called FIELD DRESSING< due to the FACT, they GUT them where they die or near it IN THE FIELD/forest swamp or where ever there shot at and NOT hauled out intact
YES one can haul out intact, bur most don't
as gutting a deer makes it lighter
and those that quarter a deer, , again do so in the field and haul out the parts they legally have too and want too!

as for being a " minimalist "
Many hunters that have some seasons under there belts , will end up at this point, taking ONLY what they feel they need and NOT as much extra's as new folks will
due to experience and knowing what they need, I know I carry a fraction of what I used to when I first started out,
BUT< like all things, conditions you MAY run into and risks taken, based on location of hunt, tend to matter in what one feels they NEED or should carry
there is NO set rule on what is needed, minus the weapon, and legal side of things!

NOW AlongCameJone
IF you don't mind, can you maybe answer this question, as it MAY help members here understand your situation better and your odd sort of posts you been having here

My question for you is this

Are you from another country, other than the USA??

and I mean NO offence , but I am friends with many folks that were born or lived in other countries than the USa, and they just have a different way of speaking/talking, asking questions.
so wondering if this is the reason your posts seem odd to some of us, and again, NO offence or bash meant here just trying to figure out your points of view that are leding to to these odd posts!,a sI gather many others here are as well!

Last edited by mrbb; 06-08-2021 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
as for all your items in RED< its up to the user to decide if there needed or not, pendding type of hunt, location and hunters skill set
like DO YOU NEED A GPS<
can you navigate the woods and forset and fields without one, , I can,
but can YOU
IF NOT< then MAYBE you need one, that or carry a compass , that is IF you know how to use that as well

as if you don't know how to navigate a GPS can be helpful, BUT it requires batteries, so, it can fail
this is where experience comes into play and you get it by doing things, starting out small and venturing farther and so on!

First aid kits< always good to carry, will you NEED IT< I hope not, but accidents are called that for a reasons! and they can happen at any time
a few basic items can be carried easy, rest can be left at a vehicle, and in modern times, a cell phone can get help in MOST Places and getting better all the time, super remote places a satellite phone is a suggested item maybe? not on your list!
all the rest of your RED item,s, again are up to the hunter, based on what they FEEL they need and will use on THERE hunt, all can be needed or useful, but not need by others

just so you know, I gather about 90 % of Deer hunters in most states do NOT use deer carts to remove deer from the woods and most don't look like Rambo or as strong as he in the movies is!
I also doubt many wear any gloved when field dressing there game
and in MOST places they do NOT haul out there deer with the guts still in them, its called FIELD DRESSING< due to the FACT, they GUT them where they die or near it IN THE FIELD/forest swamp or where ever there shot at and NOT hauled out intact
YES one can haul out intact, bur most don't
as gutting a deer makes it lighter
and those that quarter a deer, , again do so in the field and haul out the parts they legally have too and want too!

as for being a " minimalist "
Many hunters that have some seasons under there belts , will end up at this point, taking ONLY what they feel they need and NOT as much extra's as new folks will
due to experience and knowing what they need, I know I carry a fraction of what I used to when I first started out,
BUT< like all things, conditions you MAY run into and risks taken, based on location of hunt, tend to matter in what one feels they NEED or should carry
there is NO set rule on what is needed, minus the weapon, and legal side of things!

NOW AlongCameJone
IF you don't mind, can you maybe answer this question, as it MAY help members here understand your situation better and your odd sort of posts you been having here

My question for you is this

Are you from another country, other than the USA??

and I mean NO offence , but I am friends with many folks that were born or lived in other countries than the USa, and they just have a different way of speaking/talking, asking questions.
so wondering if this is the reason your posts seem odd to some of us, and again, NO offence or bash meant here just trying to figure out your points of view that are leding to to these odd posts!,a sI gather many others here are as well!
I was born in America in the mid-1960's. I was raised and educated in suburban coastal northern California. Most young people in my boyhood community did other things not hunting. They did things like surfing, go-karts, fishing, water skiing, boating, camping, biking, motorcycles, horseback riding, kite flying, boy scouting, hot rod cars, hiking, etc. I may sound odd to people here because I am an educated man, not a yokel. A lot of people in the outdoor sports community seemed to have been raised in the country so my writing here might come off sounding like I'm some city-slicker. My military background might also make me sound weird.

I don't understand what is odd about asking questions about not having an unnecessary amount of gear in the field. I was a soldier and have bivouacked many times. I'm no stranger to outdoor living, inclement weather and outdoor operations. The army has a strict load plan for soldiers in the field. I didn't have to worry about having first aid kits in the field because my unit had medics. Every soldier has an issued field dressing on his uniform, however.

When I went guided deer hunting on a private ranch, I did not need a lot of personal gear because it was relatively warm still in a California October and I was under the supervision of a guide. The rancher and his two adult sons did the gutting, cleaning, skinning and quartering for me as it was all part of the paid deal. Now I'm interested in hunting deer on a public land on my own. I won't have a guide's service and his equipment to help me. Maybe a good modern deer hunter's "bible" (a comprehensive book) might be much more helpful to me than a forum like this. Nobody I know hunts and I have no personal mentors. When I was in army basic training I was issued what was called a "SMART" book, a comprehensive training manual. I might need a deer hunter's "SMART" book of sorts.

I'm now starting to realize that this isn't a hunting "how-to" forum so much as it is a place to shoot the bull on one's personal hunting experiences. But if somebody here wants to share their inventory of personal gear they have brought to a deer hunt and describe the conditions of the particular hunt that's fine by me.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-08-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was born in America in the mid-1960's. I was raised and educated in suburban coastal northern California. Most young people in my boyhood community did other things not hunting. They did things like surfing, go-karts, fishing, water skiing, boating, camping, biking, motorcycles, horseback riding, kite flying, boy scouting, hot rod cars, hiking, etc. I may sound odd to people here because I am an educated man, not a yokel. A lot of people in the outdoor sports community seemed to have been raised in the country so my writing here might come off sounding like I'm some city-slicker. My military background might also make me sound weird.

I don't understand what is odd about asking questions about not having an unnecessary amount of gear in the field. I was a soldier and have bivouacked many times. I'm no stranger to outdoor living, inclement weather and outdoor operations. The army has a strict load plan for soldiers in the field. I didn't have to worry about having first aid kits in the field because my unit had medics. Every soldier has an issued field dressing on his uniform, however.

When I went guided deer hunting on a private ranch, I did not need a lot of personal gear because it was relatively warm still in a California October and I was under the supervision of a guide. The rancher and his two adult sons did the gutting, cleaning, skinning and quartering for me as it was all part of the paid deal. Now I'm interested in hunting deer on a public land on my own. I won't have a guide's service and his equipment to help me. Maybe a good modern deer hunter's "bible" (a comprehensive book) might be much more helpful to me than a forum like this. Nobody I know hunts and I have no personal mentors. When I was in army basic training I was issued what was called a "SMART" book, a comprehensive training manual. I might need a deer hunter's "SMART" book of sorts.

I'm now starting to realize that this isn't a hunting "how-to" forum so much as it is a place to shoot the bull on one's personal hunting experiences. But if somebody here wants to share their inventory of personal gear they have brought to a deer hunt and describe the conditions of the particular hunt that's fine by me.
well Like is said , I meant NO offence in anything!
I asked about where you were from, due to you seem to mention European past on how game was owned by the Governments there(typically owned by kings and queens and the royals that held most of the land and its game)
and you again, have a rather odd way of asking questions
you say your an educated person
yet you seem to think others here are not, and not sure why!
next , you claim to be an educated person(I have NO way of knowing for sure so NO bash here just a fact)
yet you seem to not ask questions in a n educated way, ( again no offence meant trying to help you here) you tend to just vaguely state things and don't specifically ask a DIRECT QUESTION, on any 1 topic, you blur a bunch of things together and none seem like much of a question, more like just a THOUGHT you have on something you read!
NEXT<
as if your an educated person, why do you not have the ability to learn how to hunt yourself , I did?
I grew up i n a NON hunting house hold, NO relatives to teach me, nor friends that hunted either, wasn't even anyone that liked hunting or guns!
and this was way back before the world wide internet!
I l;earned how to hunt by reading all I could and spending my time TRYING what I read in the forest and fields and streams I could WALK to as a kid, LONG before ever holding a gun or going hunting with one, I was well versed in finding game, learning how to wander the woods without getting lost, learning a lot of outdoor skills
I did so by learning hands on, sure I made mistakes, but that is all part of learning,and there are no SET rules in how things work in the outdoors, or how game reacts to one thing or another
everything can change from minute to minute THAT FAST
so, reading and getting info off a forum might be nice and all, but it will never be a 100% yes or no deal on things on most matters in the outdoors

and NEXT, this is a HUNTING FORUM<
not a TEACHING FORUM

and the forum has sections for thought questions stories and in general, what ever you wish to talk about on a given forum section

if you want to LEARN how to hunt
ALL you will get here is OPINIONS and THOUGHTS and SUGGESTIONS from members that MOST have GOOD intentions to honestly TRY and help answer your questions
BUT you MUST actually ask a specific question, one at a time, in the correct forum section!

TO me, and a GUESS here,
is your either trying to stir the pot so to speak, but being so vague and asking for sloppy replies

OR MAYBE just maybe, you want help , more or less some one to hold your hand and tell you exactly;y what to to, how to do it and so on

MAYBE and again, I am TRYING to help you, not disrespect you!

Maybe what you WANT< is a HUNTING MENTOR
someone to teach you THERE ways of hunting and take you and SHOW you how to do it

as again, NO one needs to be TAUGHT by a teacher to learn how to hunt
doesn't mater where you grew up, how old you are or where you were born or HOW educated you are

what it takes to LEARN how to hunt is desire to do it, the world wide web, libraries , hunting magazines, forums, Game depts
hunting education classes(good places to find mentors by the way)
and so on

are ALL tools anyone can use to get started in learning how to hunt, deer, doves, rabbits or what ever fancy's your interest

the main point being YOU have to GO do it and try what a you read and learned from reading and other ways you gathered your INFO!

if you want answers HERE on a forum
pick correct section and ASK a SINGLE question per thread, DON"T pollute a thread with multiple questions, and keep them direct and simple
don't go quoting tons of things you read, as most here have NO desire to go read things you read, we will TRY to help you and answer direct questions, SO<

stick to one thread, one question

also, have you ever tried using the search option to find answers to your questions?
take he above as you wish, but I meant it as a way to try and help you, I have helped and took countless new people out hunting over my life time, so I know how to help others get into this sport with proof and success in doing so
if you wanted to KNOW my experience level here!

Old 06-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Mrbb, I thought I was being to the point when I asked these following questions.

Does anybody here hunt game with a minimalist approach? How light can you travel to the game field while still being safe, legal, proper, productive and comfortable?

All I wanted to know here is what the essential gear people use here to hunt deer. Nothing more. I am just curious,. That's all. People can choose whether to answer. That's their call. Ok, I admit to putting a bunch of goofy humor in past threads but I have made a resolution to stop that and just get serious. I'm hoping my credibility here is starting to wax and not wane.

Examples of gear for:

safety: hunter orange attire
legal: hunting license, tags
proper: ice to safeguard meat from spoilage from pickup truck to processor
productive: game calls if they will help bring game to the gun in a timely fashion
comfortable: a thermos of hot coffee on a cold winter hunt

No, I'm not from Europe but I have read the history about how game was once considered only for the rich and noble whereas early Americans adopted the notion that game was for all citizens of all social classes. Most Americans have European ancestry in their genes and most early settlers of the American colonies were from Europe.

Here is a fascinating article about the traditions of dog-hunting deer still practiced in the South:
https://www.northamericanwhitetail.c...te_1009/263851
Old 06-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

See, I knew there was a good explanation.

He's just more educated than the rest of us.

You don't need a deer hunters bible. You need to man up and go hunt deer.

-Jake
Old 06-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

OK

but since deer season is quite a spell away, I might as well order this book and read it instead of being a pest here:

The Deer Hunters Bible

by George Laycock

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-08-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mrbb, I thought I was being to the point when I asked these following questions.

Does anybody here hunt game with a minimalist approach? How light can you travel to the game field while still being safe, legal, proper, productive and comfortable?

All I wanted to know here is what the essential gear people use here to hunt deer. Nothing more. I am just curious,. That's all. People can choose whether to answer. That's their call. Ok, I admit to putting a bunch of goofy humor in past threads but I have made a resolution to stop that and just get serious. I'm hoping my credibility here is starting to wax and not wane.

Examples of gear for:

safety: hunter orange attire
legal: hunting license, tags
proper: ice to safeguard meat from spoilage from pickup truck to processor
productive: game calls if they will help bring game to the gun in a timely fashion
comfortable: a thermos of hot coffee on a cold winter hunt

No, I'm not from Europe but I have read the history about how game was once considered only for the rich and noble whereas early Americans adopted the notion that game was for all citizens of all social classes. Most Americans have European ancestry in their genes and most early settlers of the American colonies were from Europe.

Here is a fascinating article about the traditions of dog-hunting deer still practiced in the South:
https://www.northamericanwhitetail.c...te_1009/263851

again your questions are NOT direct questions there is a whole bunch of things thrown into one huge open never ending THOUGHT
as you need details to get accurate answers

as , an example
you asked this>

all it does is make us experienced hunters have questions, NOT answers for you, as without knowing MORE, we can not really give you any detailed answers

as, think of it like this to your statement!

what TYPE OF DEER HUNTING ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT
treestand hunting, ground blind hunting, back pack hunting, spot and stalk hunting , ALL some of the types of DEER hunting
and what all one has to carry to do each is different!
SO there see NO ONE shoe fits all answer to your proposed thought as it really isn't;'a clear question at all

NEXT< then what you do after your SO called question is add a whole bunch of other information that is FAR from a question at all
that has NOTHING to do with explaining your question
it just runs off about a type of hunting you read about, that has nothing to do with your so called question about hunting with minimal equipment(I

again, if your as educated as you want us to believe , maybe try asking and simple clear SINGLE questions with details of what TYPE of hunting you plan, and not just a general wide open un answerable rambling! stick to ONE topic, ONE question in each posting! in CORRECT forum section
and odds are you will get better feedback and answers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.