Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
The man in this following video seems well equipped for dove opener. >

The man in this following video seems well equipped for dove opener.

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

The man in this following video seems well equipped for dove opener.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elkman30
I think you're missing the points here and trying to parse your words. You joined this website to learn something and enjoy conversing with people who have more knowledge than you. That means you logically concluded that different people in these forums have some level of experience and/or expertise that you don't. Otherwise, why waste your time on a bunch of posers who know nothing.

So with that understanding in mind, it isn't helpful to suggest that novices "might go take professional dove shooting instruction somewhere. And that's what they really should do." If you reread those sentences, you'll see that you are advising people to do something you've obviously never done yourself. Google search dove hunting instruction sometime. With no dove hunting knowledge or experience, you're defending your posts by handing out advice. Think about it a bit.
Elkman, it's arrogant to assume that everyone else here knows more than I. As I said I have knowledge from books. That's something. I said others MIGHT go do something I suggest. I can't tell others here what to do.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, oh Lord, please don't let be be misunderstood.

Elkman, let me ask you, if I may, have YOU had any dove shooting experience or mere book knowledge? If so, please tell us how you acquired it?

I got an A in junior high school geography. I acquired knowledge of many places in this world I've never set foot on in my life. I figured by making this thread, I'd pick up some more stuff that I've never picked up from books before. I don't need a lecture on posting in forums.

PS - I Googled "dove hunting instruction" and this was at the top of the page:

https://www.realtree.com/small-game-...r-dove-hunting

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-06-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

A geography book does not let you experience what the air smells like on the beach of the Mediterranean in Barcelona. It doesn’t let you experience the taste of the coldest, clearest water dipped straight from a mountain stream while hiking outside of Brunnen. A book won’t impart to you the gravity to be felt when placing your hands on the fence links at Auschwitz in Poland.

And yes, History teachers across the US teach about the horrors of German concentration camps, and travel agents all over the country sing praises of Spanish beaches and the Swiss Alps. None of them have a clue of what they speak, but hey, it sure sounds good to folks who don’t know any better, and sure sounds vapid to folks which do.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Elkman, it's arrogant to assume that everyone else here knows more than I. As I said I have knowledge from books. That's something. I said others MIGHT go do something I suggest. I can't tell others here what to do.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, oh Lord, please don't let be be misunderstood.

Elkman, let me ask you, if I may, have YOU had any dove shooting experience or mere book knowledge? If so, please tell us how you acquired it?

I got an A in junior high school geography. I acquired knowledge of many places in this world I've never set foot on in my life. I figured by making this thread, I'd pick up some more stuff that I've never picked up from books before. I don't need a lecture on posting in forums. You need more than a lecture, take a hike!

You can take your A in geography and stick it where the sun doesn't shine and it will not give you the knowledge you are pretending to have. You are pitiful in your attempt to teach experienced hunters anything. Go find people who know nothing about hunting and try to blow smoke up their backsides, this isn't the place to pretend you have any experience as a hunter no matter what the species. some of us have been hunting for 50 years or more. Find another place to play lets pretend. You googled dove hunting instruction, give me a break!
Old 06-06-2021, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

I do have deer hunting experience but no wing-shooting under my belt yet. it's not everything but something. We can do without the sharp tongues here. I'm thinking about taking up doves but I don't know yet. I hear dove poppers are quite a treat but the only way I know to get them is to shoot them yourself. I wasn't trying to teach anybody here with experience a darn thing. Here is a deer hunt pic of mine so you don't think I'm lying. And when all the old long-time hunters are dead and gone, who will be left to manage the game? In heaven there ain't no deer, that's why we shoot'em here.
Attached Thumbnails The man in this following video seems well equipped for dove opener.-96-deer-hunt.jpg  

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-06-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the old time hunters are such $h!t fathers and grandfathers they fail to raise their sons and daughters as hunters, then whose fault is it when no one is left to manage deer?
Old 06-06-2021, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

experience is something we all ONLY get by doing something, but that doesn't mean we cannot learn a LOT about a subject mater LONG before doing any of it!
heck to be honest I would rather a person reward and learn all they can about something before trying to do it
it will get them leaps and bound ahead of those that know nothing about what there trying to do!

Nothing replaces hands on experience, but knowledge is power folks, like it or not!

this site is becoming pretty unwelcome to new members it seems!(go ahead bash on me, I can take it LOL)
Old 06-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbb
experience is something we all ONLY get by doing something, but that doesn't mean we cannot learn a LOT about a subject mater LONG before doing any of it!
heck to be honest I would rather a person reward and learn all they can about something before trying to do it
it will get them leaps and bound ahead of those that know nothing about what there trying to do!

Nothing replaces hands on experience, but knowledge is power folks, like it or not!

this site is becoming pretty unwelcome to new members it seems!(go ahead bash on me, I can take it LOL)
Agreed. No reason to be rude. Jones hasn't personally attacked anybody.

Jones, you have an odd posting style. And it's going to rub ppl the wrong way. It just is. Again I'll suggest... Ask questions. Learn, and GO do. Nobody here really cares about what somebody wrote in a book forty years ago.

And to Mrbb's point- book knowledge is not nothing. It certainly has value. But it would be allot better backed by experience.

Jones, I think we all find it a little odd that you hunted a deer in 1996 and seemingly since then you have dreamed about hunting including reading, watching videos, studying what clothes people wear... But haven't done anything yourself to gain that experience. That's 25 years that you've had to build experience for yourself.

Most people here are go getters. If we want something we find a way to do it and get it. You can do that too. Your posting style is just hard to figure out. I'm not sure what your goal is.

Either way welcome to HNI.

To others....... He didn't insult your mother. He just has a strange posting style. Put a bandaid on your feelers. Maybe we can help him get into the field and enjoy the outdoors like we do
-Jake
Old 06-06-2021, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones

I got an A in junior high school geography. I acquired knowledge of many places in this world I've never set foot on in my life. I figured by making this thread, I'd pick up some more stuff that I've never picked up from books before. I don't need a lecture on posting in forums.

I thought I was helping you out a little but never mind. You're not worth the aggravation and I don't feel like getting hit with the ban stick just because somebody wants to ruffle everybody else's feathers. And you don't want a lecture although you like to hand them out. I've offered bits and pieces of my dove hunting experience to you but you were too busy insulting others and apparently are not interested. That's your right. I've never read a book about dove hunting nor have I taken classes on it (didn't know there was such a thing). My experience was gained by hunting doves locally on public and private property over sunflower fields, rice fields and range property. I've hunted with just a few friends and on DFG property where there were 50-100 people. I wouldn't call myself a dove slayer but I've got doves on each hunting trip. It's still kind of irrelevant since I'm not telling people how to learn dove hunting. You are. Good luck with that.