HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Who here dresses like this while hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/425844-who-here-dresses-like-while-hunting.html)

AlongCameJones 05-30-2021 05:02 AM

Who here dresses like this while hunting?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Me in my classic Pendelton back in 1996.

mrbb 05-30-2021 06:44 AM

wow I didn't think many folks hired a guide to deer hunt back in 1996>

and to shoot a small buck too boot
I hope you didn;t pay too much LOL


times have changed for sure though this I agree,
but that is life, nothing will ever stay the same
doesn;'t always mean for the better or the worse, though!
most likely a little of the both,

CalHunter 05-30-2021 01:38 PM

I would have heat stroke if I wore a pendleton during deer season in California. Cool retro look though.

Rob in VT 05-30-2021 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use to wear Johnson Wool in the 80’s and 90’s.

AlongCameJones 05-31-2021 03:12 AM

I had to pay that man.
 

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4392257)
wow I didn't think many folks hired a guide to deer hunt back in 1996>

and to shoot a small buck too boot
I hope you didn;t pay too much LOL


times have changed for sure though this I agree,
but that is life, nothing will ever stay the same
doesn;'t always mean for the better or the worse, though!
most likely a little of the both,

I had to pay that man $500. He was listed in the classifieds section of a hunting magazine, if I recall. That included skinning, gutting and quartering. His two adult sons pitched in with the work. His wife at his ranch house prepared me six hot meals over two days. I killed about ten ground squirrels on his spread and that varmint hunt was on the house. He would have included lodging too, but would have been a ranch hand bunk house so I stayed in town at a cheap motel instead. He would have charged me an extra $750 for a trophy buck. This was expensive California, though. I was then from the suburbs and did not know any rural landowners. People from the city and suburbs still indeed paid guides or private landowners even then. It was my first deer hunt.

Nowadays, some game ranches in Texas charge you $2,000 or more for the privilege of relieving their private land of one or maybe two deer. Good luck getting a berth on their spread before they are all booked up too. There are more wannabes these days than hunting opportunities available. Hunting has been getting progressively rarer and more expensive like housing. There is no cheap red meat on the table via your own gun anymore. The landed gentry seem to hold most of the access to hunting opportunity. There are too many people these days to compete for resources. The notion that the American public owns the game seems now old hat. Grabbing a gun, heading for the woods and going for game is no longer a free-for-all. You would be doing the game ranch operator no favor by taking his deer for free. You either personally know a private landowner (to relieve their land of pesky plant/crop destroying deer) or you pay the piper as they say. There is public land but it isn't recommended for greenhorns.

I was a noobie hunting in 1996 so I thought a paid hunt was a great way to start. I figure I had about $800 total into that little 1996 buck counting: the guide's 2-day hunt fee, motel, deer tag, hunting license, NRA hunter safety course, ammo, gas and a butcher. The butcher was some crabby old dude a friend of mine knew and he wouldn't even grind my venison so as not to get his meat grinder "dirty". I now know to use a bona fide wild game processor for deer that offers grinding services as well as fattening the grind with beef tallow.

I learned a few things from this nice older rancher gentleman and guide so it was a learning experience as much as it was a little meat in the freezer. I had not a clue on how to hunt DIY. My grandfather stopped hunting for good just before I was born and my mother was anti-hunting so my brother and I living in the CA suburbs had no family mentors. My father gave up rabbit hunting in boyhood.

mrbb 05-31-2021 05:27 AM


Originally Posted by AlongCameJones (Post 4392317)
I had to pay that man $500. He was listed in the classifieds section of a hunting magazine, if I recall. That included skinning, gutting and quartering. His two adult sons pitched in with the work. His wife at his ranch house prepared me six hot meals over two days. I killed about ten ground squirrels on his spread and that varmint hunt was on the house. He would have included lodging too, but would have been a ranch hand bunk house so I stayed in town at a cheap motel instead. He would have charged me an extra $750 for a trophy buck. This was expensive California, though. I was then from the suburbs and did not know any rural landowners. People from the city and suburbs still indeed paid guides or private landowners even then. It was my first deer hunt.

Nowadays, some game ranches in Texas charge you $2,000 or more for the privilege of relieving their private land of one or maybe two deer. Good luck getting a berth on their spread before they are all booked up too. There are more wannabes these days than hunting opportunities available. Hunting has been getting progressively rarer and more expensive like housing. There is no cheap red meat on the table via your own gun anymore. The landed gentry seem to hold most of the access to hunting opportunity. There are too many people these days to compete for resources. The notion that the American public owns the game seems now old hat. Grabbing a gun, heading for the woods and going for game is no longer a free-for-all. You would be doing the game ranch operator no favor by taking his deer for free. You either personally know a private landowner (to relieve their land of pesky plant/crop destroying deer) or you pay the piper as they say. There is public land but it sn't recommended for greenhorns.

I was a noobie hunting in 1996 so I thought a paid hunt was a great way to start. I figure I had about $800 total into that little 1996 buck counting: the guide's 2-day hunt fee, motel, deer tag, hunting license, NRA hunter safety course, ammo, gas and a butcher. The butcher was some crabby old dude a friend of mine knew and he wouldn't even grind my venison so as not to get his meat grinder "dirty". I now know to use a bona fide wild game processor for deer that offers grinding services as well as fattening the grind with beef tallow.

I learned a few things from this nice older rancher gentleman and guide so it was a learning experience as much as it was a little meat in the freezer. I had not a clue on how to hunt DIY. My grandfather stopped hunting for good just before I was born and my mother was anti-hunting so my brother and I living in the CA suburbs had no family mentors. My father gave up rabbit hunting in boyhood.

well we all don't have things as good as others, this I fully agree when getting into the hunting world
and where we lives I am sure makes a big difference as well
but from my experience, most deer hunters in the USA didn't start off paying for hunts on private lands

I know for a fact I grew up in a NON hunting home, no relatives hunted and was 100% self taught, I read everything I could get my hands on to learn all I could, for yrs before I was old en ought o start hunting
I started hunting on public lands, but do admit there was lots of them
a s a fact, I knew very few hunters that DIDN"T hunt public lands , it was only the wealthy folks that seemed to have private lands to hunt!
I got a deer my first yr all on my own, and learned a lot doing so, and never went a yr without filling a tag since, and went from hunting my home state to hunting several states a yr and all of them hunts out of state were without a guide, to save me $$ to allow me to hunt more places
I mean NO bash here either,a s I said we all start in this sport our own way,
and all that really matters is we enjoy it and help keep it going

But I DO stand by that most folks STILL hunt public land over taking guided hunts in almost every state,
things do seem to be shifting due to so many people seem to need to THINK private lands are better or need to be more catered too,a s IMO< folks are getting soft, and need more comforts to enjoy anything, or they just won;'t do it! ~
TV hunting shows IMO have ruined a lot of possible hunters from getting into the sport or starting, when hings don;t work out as they seen ion TV, or feel they cannot have what they see on tv due to costs, so just give up!

its a changing world for hunting and hunters, just look at the numbers that have STOPPED, Lic Sales are down in most every state, add in the hate many have for firearms in private citizens hands, and this sport might not be here down the road
the desire to hunt in kids, isn;t what it once was, a shame IMO
but that's life nothing stays the same I guess!


Nomercy448 05-31-2021 12:33 PM

As a hard working American whom you’d apparently dub as “landed gentry,” I can tell you, this wasn’t a great way to introduce yourself. Slamming doors in your own face isn’t a hobby in which I care to participate, but good luck to you.

AlongCameJones 05-31-2021 08:29 PM


Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4392340)
As a hard working American whom you’d apparently dub as “landed gentry,” I can tell you, this wasn’t a great way to introduce yourself. Slamming doors in your own face isn’t a hobby in which I care to participate, but good luck to you.

Many hard-working Americans also don't own any land. My humorous term was not to offend honest Americans who do in fact own land. My apologies if landowners here are offended. I don't see the meaning of "slamming doors" here. The term goes back to feudal Europe when the game did only belong to the wealthy and the King. Peasants used to be put to death for poaching the King's deer. The American ideal starting with the colonies and the founding of our nation was that game belonged to all free white male citizens. Later on, and more rightfully so, all citizens including women and non-whites equally owned game.

Nomercy448 06-01-2021 10:22 AM

This ain’t feudal Europe.

Maybe one day you have a thread on a topic where you need help (rather than threads like this one in which you’re simply complaining about the changing winds and insulting others), or maybe even someday you wind up on the other end of my phone asking about permission. Honey and vinegar. My door, my phone, and my keyboard won’t be open for you. Good luck.

redmag 06-01-2021 12:52 PM

Man this sure turned to a crap topic in a hurry. From a guy asking about hunting attire to people jumping in his $#!t for paying to kill a smaller buck Kind of disappointed and surprised or am I the only one who see this?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.