Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Who here dresses like this while hunting? >

Who here dresses like this while hunting?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Who here dresses like this while hunting?

Old 06-01-2021, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Nomercy, your disposition sure fits your handle. You are in Kansas. I don't ever have any intentions of hunting in that state anyway. Be careful that your house doesn't get get blown to wicked witch country.

That landed gentry rancher I hunted by his guide/ranch hunt services in CA was a rather pleasant old gentleman. Don't get me wrong, I don't use "landed gentry" out of jealousy. That man was a beef rancher. Farmers and ranchers, even landed gentleman ones, often can barely keep their heads above water but FEMA may help them in troubled times. Mr. Rourke was offering his generous amount of land to paid hunts with amenities for extra revenues when beef might not be so profitable. Why does he surcharge $750 for a trophy buck on top of the $500 hunt fee? The cost of feeding and raising those deer?

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-01-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag
Man this sure turned to a crap topic in a hurry. From a guy asking about hunting attire to people jumping in his $#!t for paying to kill a smaller buck Kind of disappointed and surprised or am I the only one who see this?
well, if your referring to me,
I never meant any thing negative by the size of his buck he shot
I was just sating that back in the 90's few folks PAID a guide for a hunt for deer in the USA, it was NOT common practice in MOST all US states
and if one was paying for a guide, Honestly, I would have expected a better quality of game than what most average hunters found on public lands
as isn;t that the point of PAYING for a service, to get more than you can for free?

and I also stand by the fact that hiring a guide is NOT the way most folks learn how to hunt, even in NON hunting house holds and families!
a week or a few days with a guide don;t teach a LOT of skills that make a GOOD hunter a GOOD hunter!
they might help you learn a few things IF there willing to teach you, as a guides job ISN"T to teach anyone how to hunt, there JOB is you get you on the game animal your paying them to do so!

I am personal friends with a LOT of professional guides and KNOW this for a fact!
some are more willing to help a guy learn and some are NOT!

Old 06-01-2021, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Wink

Originally Posted by mrbb
well, if your referring to me,
I never meant any thing negative by the size of his buck he shot
I was just sating that back in the 90's few folks PAID a guide for a hunt for deer in the USA, it was NOT common practice in MOST all US states
and if one was paying for a guide, Honestly, I would have expected a better quality of game than what most average hunters found on public lands
as isn;t that the point of PAYING for a service, to get more than you can for free?

and I also stand by the fact that hiring a guide is NOT the way most folks learn how to hunt, even in NON hunting house holds and families!
a week or a few days with a guide don;t teach a LOT of skills that make a GOOD hunter a GOOD hunter!
they might help you learn a few things IF there willing to teach you, as a guides job ISN"T to teach anyone how to hunt, there JOB is you get you on the game animal your paying them to do so!

I am personal friends with a LOT of professional guides and KNOW this for a fact!
some are more willing to help a guy learn and some are NOT!
Being that California is opulent, it wasn't cheap even back in the 1990's, I thought what I paid Mr. Rourke was fair market then just to have a fairly easy opportunity to go deer hunting for once in my life and say I did. That CA Colombian blacktail (little muley cousin) deer ran me a total of $800 in '96. If I remember correctly, about 45 pounds of edible meat was yielded. $17.77 a pound for California venison that was gamey as the devil. I have learned later on it would have tasted much better ground up with 10% beef tallow and cooked in things like spaghetti, tacos, stroganoff, burritos, enchiladas or pizza. Cooking the venison chops on the BBQ was tough as shoe leather and the meat had that gamey flavor like it had browsed on trees. The meat had an acorn-like aroma. My buck was shot in a forest.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-01-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

mrbb, I was not referring to anyone in particular just the overall tone of the replies after finding the guy paid an outfitter to take a deer. Certainly most of us have learned from family and a select few of older hunters as you mentioned. Not everyone begins in that manner. The good thing is this guy made the best of what opportunity he had at that time to get started and enjoyed his hunting experience. If not, he wouldn't be here being shamed. He didn't ask to be critiqued as to his hunting beginnings. He only asked if anyone stills hunts in the clothing he was wearing in 1996. I speculate that many on this forum many have paid for hunts and have taken less than trophies. Not that it matters, but I must say I am disappointed by the responses.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

mrbb, I was not referring to anyone in particular just the overall tone of the replies after finding the guy paid an outfitter to take a deer. Certainly most of us have learned from family and a select few of older hunters as you mentioned. Not everyone begins in that manner. The good thing is this guy made the best of what opportunity he had at that time to get started and enjoyed his hunting experience. If not, he wouldn't be here being shamed. He didn't ask to be critiqued as to his hunting beginnings. He only asked if anyone stills hunts in the clothing he was wearing in 1996. I speculate that many on this forum many have paid for hunts and have taken less than trophies. Not that it matters, but I must say I am disappointed by the responses.
who shamed him??
and if anyone wants to post on a open form, they need to accept that folks will reply to what they post
and thats all I did!
I have no disrespect for anyone that wishes to hire a guide to hunt
I replied based on what was posted and MY views on it, which is MY right, as is your's
but don;t go saying someone shamed someone when they didn;t!
Old 06-01-2021, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

No shame to me from anybody here! Mrbb was just surprised at the avenue I took to get into hunting, that's all.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

mrbb, You and I are permitted to reply as we see fit. I see many of the comments jumping the OP because of his beginning in the sport of hunting. If he were a relative of some of those making the comments and those relatives were stuck with getting an outfitter to hunt, they wouldn't be busting on him. The OP asked about clothing, nothing else and all comments were addressed elsewhere. Just recently I asked about Crispi boot fitment and YOUR reply went on forever. Thanks to GASWAMP I got an answer. You came on as ABSOLUTE and that we all should buy boots your way without noting my circumstances. I didn't need lectured on boot buying at 74 years of age I needed an answer. But I've noticed your need to be ALL-KNOWING whether it helps or not. And, here you are again when you want to dispute whether he is being shamed. Despite the many things you say that you have experienced you can be wrong and often come on a a BLOWHARD. If it is within you, reflect on what I have written and try to be responsive in a helpful way in the future.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wise words.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

mrbb, You and I are permitted to reply as we see fit. I see many of the comments jumping the OP because of his beginning in the sport of hunting. If he were a relative of some of those making the comments and those relatives were stuck with getting an outfitter to hunt, they wouldn't be busting on him. The OP asked about clothing, nothing else and all comments were addressed elsewhere. Just recently I asked about Crispi boot fitment and YOUR reply went on forever. Thanks to GASWAMP I got an answer. You came on as ABSOLUTE and that we all should buy boots your way without noting my circumstances. I didn't need lectured on boot buying at 74 years of age I needed an answer. But I've noticed your need to be ALL-KNOWING whether it helps or not. And, here you are again when you want to dispute whether he is being shamed. Despite the many things you say that you have experienced you can be wrong and often come on a a BLOWHARD. If it is within you, reflect on what I have written and try to be responsive in a helpful way in the future.
so you have an issue with me

seems you post about boots I offered lots of advice and suggestions trying to help you, but you took that too as a problem
and if it was with me, maybe you should have tried sending em a PM about it?
But gather you rather get high and mighty on a open forum to make yourself feel better!
that's ok, I don;t get offended by words on a screen, I just reply to those I wish too!

SO?? Maybe r its you that has an issue with not understanding , that when a post is made you will get all SORTS of replies and opinions, thoughts and what not;'s
if one has a issue with a certian person, that is sort of what PM:"?S are for!
so as to not delete a Thread
but since you singled me out here I will reply here as you did!
and I never said I know it all and openly admit I DON"T!
Old 06-02-2021, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

Done with you mrbb and will not play with you any longer on my observations here!! I can see by your response to my suggestions regarding your future posts being on the helpful side that you didn't, as expected, do a little self-checking. With that, I welcome you to respond with any advice I am requesting with an answer but not with a reply that is off base and self-promoting. I only speak for myself but THINK about my messages and refrain from being the BLOWHARD KNOW IT ALL that I and perhaps others see but won't tell you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.