Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best low cost binoculars

Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 PM
Spike

Default Best low cost binoculars

I only use these one week out of the year but I'm wanting the best pair I can afford (which isn't much). I'm looking at these. This is all I want to spend. I'm not able to buy the Swarovski's, Zeiss etc.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-...Prism/46917791

https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon-...rism-grey.html

:Help!

Old 04-20-2021, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pop...Hold off on spending your hard earned cash. A few years ago I was getting ready to go on a mule deer/antelope hunt in Wyoming and I was in the same boat as you. I settled on a pair of Celestron 10x42 binoculars. I was really impressed by them and what really made me happy is my guide who was carrying a pair of Leica binos asked to look through them and he was equally impressed at the clarity and quality of them. I believe I purchased them from OpticsPlanet.com
Old 04-20-2021, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will add my 2 cents
when your NOT dealing with the very high end of optic's
lower end models of ALL brands can be like pick of the litter
meaning, take 5 exact same make models and there will be a difference in them
I sold optic's for yrs and seen this first hand countless times
and this is also WHY, you see many post's threads and such, where one person LOVES there "X" model, and someone else with same model doesn't!

SO< the very BEST way to buy any binocular's IMO< is to GO to a place that carry's several brands and models and look thru them, and LEARN what to look for
edge to edge focus and clarity
as this is typically where lower end one's fail the most and higher ends one's don't , higher end glass and designs,, will hold the clearest clarity edge to edge
from there its about fitting you, and its build quality
the clearest lens in the world don;'t last long if rest of materials used and build quality isn;'t up to snuff!

and also, be honest with HO Much use of binoculars you will be having,
as if you will be using for long periods of time, the added cost to save up and BUY the better end one's
will pay for itself in less head aches and eye strain
as its longer use that the effects of prime glass show there true uses!
I also, know there are places now online that RENT out binoculars and spotting scopes, , which can maybe help a guy out that only needs them for one trip
over buying and then them just sitting about unused!
Not that many hunters don't like owning things to have for when ever they want to use
but many times if were honest, I think we all buy things for one or two uses and then they just sit? never getting used again , or I know I have a lot of things like that! HAHA!
Old 04-22-2021, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb you make a good argument and I won't doubt a word of it. But just to add to it some companies like Celestron, the brand I chose after looking at a lot of reviews, make several models of binos from <$100 to over $500. I selected a model somewhere in it middle and was more than happy with them. A person that is going to use them on just a couple trips out west where glassing is done for hours at a time and then most of the time just use them to help identify a game animal/target and only uses them a coupling minutes a day surely doesn't need a pair costing upwards and over $1000.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
mrbb you make a good argument and I won't doubt a word of it. But just to add to it some companies like Celestron, the brand I chose after looking at a lot of reviews, make several models of binos from <$100 to over $500. I selected a model somewhere in it middle and was more than happy with them. A person that is going to use them on just a couple trips out west where glassing is done for hours at a time and then most of the time just use them to help identify a game animal/target and only uses them a coupling minutes a day surely doesn't need a pair costing upwards and over $1000.
I am not saying anyone needs to spent 1000+ on binoculars
but what I will say again is, if your going to be spending HOURS at a time looking thru binoculars
then MAYBE the cost maybe worth it!
add in if you in higher elevations than your used too(elevation sickness csn happen to folks that don't be used to it rather easy)
as eye strain can happen and can be very annoying to painful, which can maybe ruin a persons hunt they saved long for!
add in again elevation possible side effects

and well
again
why I mentioned renting good glass over buying, so not to be parting with a LOT of coin maybe one doesn't have or wish to spend
as an OPTION here!
maybe some folks don;t know they can be rented
or want the hassle of looking at maybe even used one's

as I know from my experience having a shop, many folks DO buy for one time use, then never really use again, and end up selling after a trip or after seeing them sit on a shelf for a while doing nothing but gathering dust and will often sell to get some of the costs back over just keeping them

and also, again, if you looked through 5 pairs of your exact make model, odds are you will see a difference in some o them as to others in the same 5 pair!
its just the nature of the builds

think like this, some folks LOVE fords, and others Chevy's
yet others of same exact vehicle c an HATE theirs and it be a problem after problem deal!

this is again why I said, you will often read forums and reviews where one person or even a LOT LOVE "X" item and then there a few that HATE them or disliked them or had issue's and so on!
NOTHING beats being able to look thru them side by side
and there is NO debate when looking thru binoculars or spotting scopes for HOURS at time, Glass quality matters, its a fact,
lesser glass, doesn't hold up as well, and
you DON:"T notice it till you do it

NOT saying anyone needs HIGH end glass, just providing info here and food for thought and even a few idea's /options on how to maybe get better binoculars!

Old 04-22-2021, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly...I believe we are saying the same thing but in a different way. Glassing for hours on end is hard on the eyes even with high quality glass let alone lesser quality. Heck I even used those cheapo Tasco 8x20s with auto focus for archery for a couple years until my own eyes started going then I appreciated the better glass.
And like I said, I think the average eastern or northern midwest like the thread starter, can get by nicely with binos in the medium price range. Most of them, like me, use them to scan the woods ahead of you or see a possible target and check it out to be sure. Maybe using the glass a total of n hour all day.
And IMO if you're going to be doing a lot of glassing you'd be better served getting a decent pair of binos and a high end spotting scope.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

A little late to the party but... Popgun, it looks like you're budgeting $150 or so for binoculars. In general, you'll see a noticeable difference in binocular quality by spending just a $100 more. The slightly higher pricepoint will get you a lot better glass. Not Swarovski level but something you can use a lot and never regret buying.

If you can, go to a sporting goods store that carries a lot of binoculars and just look through several models. Tell the salesperson your $150 budget and then ask if it's worth it to go a little higher. They will show you a lot of binoculars which means you will get to look through all of them. Notice the differences for your eyes. You may decide you need to increase your budget a little which isn't a bad thing. Your eyes will thank you at the end of each day you're looking through binoculars a lot.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

24-HR SALE Leupold 10x42 Bino $109.99
Old 04-23-2021, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Popgun, that is a deal!!
Old 04-23-2021, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

So for the OP, what did you decide?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.