HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Equipment Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/424521-equipment-question.html)

jnicholes 11-28-2020 11:51 AM

Equipment Question

Hello, I have a question. I was looking through my regulation book for the state of Idaho, and I came across something I’m not familiar with.

Could someone tell me what a “muzzleloader“ is?

Jared

mrbb 11-28-2020 12:56 PM

Basically a muzzleloader is a gun you load through the muzzle, ()add powder and a bullet manually,
not a loaded case and bullet like a cartridge is loaded into an action on a rifle or shotgun!
think of basically black powder rifles and pistols, of either flintlock designs, or more modern inline designs
many states consider each in a class of its own, meaning they can have special rules and regulations on when what type of muzzleloader can be used, many also have rules regarding what the legal sights can be, some require ONLY open sights, some allow more modern sights, like scopes and such! some seasons are also called other names like primitive weapons only, some are called flink lock seasons, , some Muzzleloader seasons, and so on!
details matter and its also why folks need to read rule books well and understand things, and if have question ask, and find out, but as always, some times the BEST info, can ONLY come from the state game dept you are in, as folks on forums such as this can give bad info at times, even when they MEAN to give GOOD info, so taking teh word of a stranger on a forum, is not always the best way to find answers to game regulations where you are at and where you plan to hunt, far too many small details and rules in states, zones, and likes for anyone to keep track of,
this is why game depts have officers, to help see you know what the real rules are in YOUR area!

jnicholes 11-28-2020 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4384414)
Basically a muzzleloader is a gun you load through the muzzle, ()add powder and a bullet manually,
not a loaded case and bullet like a cartridge is loaded into an action on a rifle or shotgun!
think of basically black powder rifles and pistols, of either flintlock designs, or more modern inline designs
many states consider each in a class of its own, meaning they can have special rules and regulations on when what type of muzzleloader can be used, many also have rules regarding what the legal sights can be, some require ONLY open sights, some allow more modern sights, like scopes and such! some seasons are also called other names like primitive weapons only, some are called flink lock seasons, , some Muzzleloader seasons, and so on!
details matter and its also why folks need to read rule books well and understand things, and if have question ask, and find out, but as always, some times the BEST info, can ONLY come from the state game dept you are in, as folks on forums such as this can give bad info at times, even when they MEAN to give GOOD info, so taking teh word of a stranger on a forum, is not always the best way to find answers to game regulations where you are at and where you plan to hunt, far too many small details and rules in states, zones, and likes for anyone to keep track of,
this is why game depts have officers, to help see you know what the real rules are in YOUR area!

I understand that. And for the record, I always double check what people say here AND in other places with my state regulations. Kind of an extra safety measure. I’m the type of guy who wants to follow the rules exactly. I get as much info as I can from multiple sources, and then I verify which info is correct with local game departments, in my case, Idaho fish and game.

I wasn’t asking about muzzleloader regulations, I was just curious about what a muzzleloader was. I’ve never even heard of one until I read the regulations.

However, I appreciate you pointing out that some states have special regulations for them.

Also, you gave me the answer I was looking for. Thanks for explaining what a muzzleloader was.

Jared

jnicholes 11-28-2020 02:27 PM

By the way, I failed to say this two days ago because everything was so busy with Thanksgiving.

Thank you so much for all you do and all the help you’ve given me. I am grateful for what you do to help me and other people.

mrbb 11-28-2020 03:44 PM

I was stating the regulations due to the fact, a MUZZLELOADER< is any gun that loads from the muzzle
BUT many hunting seasons, call certain seasons Muzzleloader season, yet that doesn;'t mean ANY muzzleloader can be used
as they can be different types
think, of a semi auto rifle and bolt action, both are rifle, but one might not be allowed in a firearms season
due to slight differences in what a game dept considers different!

so, wording matters, in the slight differences, even if ALL are muzzleloaders!

jnicholes 11-28-2020 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4384418)
I was stating the regulations due to the fact, a MUZZLELOADER< is any gun that loads from the muzzle
BUT many hunting seasons, call certain seasons Muzzleloader season, yet that doesn;'t mean ANY muzzleloader can be used
as they can be different types
think, of a semi auto rifle and bolt action, both are rifle, but one might not be allowed in a firearms season
due to slight differences in what a game dept considers different!

so, wording matters, in the slight differences, even if ALL are muzzleloaders!

interesting you should say that, I was actually talking to a guy at Cabela’s about the same thing. He said there’s a big difference between muzzleloaders and guns that are allowed for short range weapons seasons.

Big difference, wording does matter.

anyway, I appreciate the help.

My goal is to have experience with different types of hunting equipment, this means I need to get an archery permit, which requires me to take a class, and I need a muzzleloader with an endorsement on my hunting license.

I already have experience with shotgun and rifle, but I need experience with archery and muzzleloaders to finish it.

I just thought it would be a good idea to have experience with different types of firearms and hunting equipment.

that’s all, Jared

mrbb 11-29-2020 06:03 AM

yes its nice to have experience with all types of hunting weapons(don't forget hand guns LOL)

but there also is no reason to have to hunt with a type of weapon to own and enjoy using it too
target shooting is a great sport too, and will get you a lot of experience at shooting different types of weapons and from there maybe you can pick the one's you like best, and then focus on them seasons

as again the fine details of a season and how a weapon can be set up, or type can make a big difference
as many states again have rules on muzzleloaders, some require only use of open sights, NO SCOPES< some are fine with any sight minus maybe some electrical one's(night vision, thermals and such )
so states consider inlines , more like modern rifles and don't allow in there muzzleloader seasons, even though they are muzzleloaders
so, before buying anyone, make sure it can be used in any seasons your thinking of, or you might end up with owning a gun that won'r work/be legal to use!

I also think many hunters tend to migrate through the seasons and wanting new challenges, or just get more involved with different types of weapons and such seasons, as a way to have more hunting time in the woods.
I know I went down that road decades ago.
just so I could have more chances to hunt longer, so ended up owning about every type of weapon there is for hunting and well, target shooting too, from full auto's down the line to flame throwers and all sorts of archery gear as I also realaly just enjoyed shooting different types of weapons all yr, so, never limited myself to just hunting guns/weapons
always figured more practice I got with all things, better hunting I might be when the time comes to shoot in season!

jnicholes 11-29-2020 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4384430)
yes its nice to have experience with all types of hunting weapons(don't forget hand guns LOL)

but there also is no reason to have to hunt with a type of weapon to own and enjoy using it too
target shooting is a great sport too, and will get you a lot of experience at shooting different types of weapons and from there maybe you can pick the one's you like best, and then focus on them seasons

as again the fine details of a season and how a weapon can be set up, or type can make a big difference
as many states again have rules on muzzleloaders, some require only use of open sights, NO SCOPES< some are fine with any sight minus maybe some electrical one's(night vision, thermals and such )
so states consider inlines , more like modern rifles and don't allow in there muzzleloader seasons, even though they are muzzleloaders
so, before buying anyone, make sure it can be used in any seasons your thinking of, or you might end up with owning a gun that won'r work/be legal to use!

I also think many hunters tend to migrate through the seasons and wanting new challenges, or just get more involved with different types of weapons and such seasons, as a way to have more hunting time in the woods.
I know I went down that road decades ago.
just so I could have more chances to hunt longer, so ended up owning about every type of weapon there is for hunting and well, target shooting too, from full auto's down the line to flame throwers and all sorts of archery gear as I also realaly just enjoyed shooting different types of weapons all yr, so, never limited myself to just hunting guns/weapons
always figured more practice I got with all things, better hunting I might be when the time comes to shoot in season!

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Bocajnala 12-01-2020 04:03 AM

We have a muzzleloader section here on the forum with some very knowledgeable guys. When you start your muzzleloader journey, you'll appreciate that area of the forum!

-Jake