Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rocky Boots

Old 11-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rocky Boots

I pulled my Rocky boots out of the closet to go deer hunting, and off I went. I haven't wore them half a dozen times. I get to where I want to be, and my feet are getting wet. Reason being, The soles on both of them has let go. I have been in contact with Rocky, and have sent pictures of the boots. We will see what comes of this. IMO, if a boot sits in a closet for a year or two, the soles shouldn't fall off. I will let everyone know what the results are when I find out what is going to happen.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

In the early years Rocky boots used to be made in Nelsonville Ohio. On a hunt once, I visited the old shuttered factory and they had a factory store at that location. I believe they are now made in 2 different factories one in the Dominican Republic and the other Puerto Rico and thus the made in America label. I never liked the feeling of Rocky Boots. USA Danner boots fit me much better but alas they too are not all made in America.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also used to visit there store in Ohio, was a nice small shop, but to be honest in the 10 pair or so of there boots I bought, none of them lasted very long and all leaked in there second yr if not first yr, I stopped buying them in the mid 2000's due to they just didn;t last
Danners were good they also has some made else where and think changed owners a few times in past 20+ yrs, or something changed, as have some of there boots that were great and some no so good
right now my best boots are meindl boots(fav right now if there 400 gram ultra lights) , as far as hunting boots go, work boots I am still using Danners, (there super boot, for the exact model there one tuff boot, have a pair that is 15+ yrs old and still waterproof , soles are in need of replacing, but leather uppers still solid, !
but Rocky bots, no one I know has had good luck with them, even when they were sent free replacements(they used to have good customer service, not sure about now) they didn;t last either, 15+ guys at camp gave up on them too along with me LOL
Old 11-08-2020, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

I tried Rocky boots in the 90's and wasn't happy. I switched to Danners and never looked back. A few years ago, I bought a pair of Danner hunting boots and they were crap. At this point, it seems like most boot brands are having their boots made overseas and quality has gone downhill. I haven't tried Meindl so couldn't comment on them.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

When Rocky boots were made in the states we were issued them to wear on duty. They were comfortable and wore well. After the went out of the country to manufacturer they turned to trash and my agency no longer purchased them. Don't waste your money on Rocky boots.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I got my reply from Rocky. They warranty for one year from date of purchase. They sent a 45 % off code for me to buy another pair. I won't be buying any. Being on a disability pension, funds are very limited. I'll stick with the Sorrels. They are older, but still in excellent condition.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by redgreen
Well, I got my reply from Rocky. They warranty for one year from date of purchase. They sent a 45 % off code for me to buy another pair. I won't be buying any. Being on a disability pension, funds are very limited. I'll stick with the Sorrels. They are older, but still in excellent condition.
That is just plain bad customer service. Sending you a coupon to buy another pair of over priced junk just seems like a bad idea. It would be one thing if overwhelming public opinion was that they were a great boot....but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rocky boots ae not the only ones to suffer from leaving the states to a foreign country for manufacturer. Another boot we used to be issued was Dunhams, they were comfortable and wore well, Once they moved the next ones we got were so full of silicone sealant on the inside you couldn't get your foot into them. Both brand's of the boots were on state contract and my agency got them removed from the contract but it took a while. In the mean time if someone needed boots they had to use what we had.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

I cant stand Rocky or Lacross boots. Both are junk . Neither of them lasted more than 2 hunting seasons for me or my son. Every one of them leaked or cracked during the second or third season . One pair or Rocky's didn't last a week before it leaked like a sieve . Another pair of Lacross cracked along the side on the third day. Returned both those pairs and threw them out after 2 seasons they were both junk. I liked the Sorel's for a while but they are way heavy for what you get. Makes your feel like you are carrying anchors on your ankles . A week ago I sorted out my boot bin and threw away the last pair of leak infested Rocky's and the split sole Lacross junkers. I did give the Sorel anchors to the local community charity.
Danner was once a good boot. I never owned any but my buddy likes them.

My favorites are Irish Setter. They last me at least 10 years even when using them for work in construction during winter months.
I have always had a pair of Irish Setter boots while trying out these other brands to bail me out when the others failed.
Just ordered another pair of Irish setter lightweight boots . The VaprTrek LS 826 . They are insulated 800 grams of thinsulate and weigh 2.8 lbs for the pair.
Going to order a pair the Irish Setter VaprTrek 827 LS with 1200 grams thinsulate that weigh 3 lbs for the pair when they become available again in December or January.
I'm 64 yrs old. If these 2 pair of Irish Setter boots last as good as my older pairs , I'll be dead by the time I wear out my second pair. Maybe they will bury me in them LOL

And the last pair I will mention is RedHead boots. I bought the RedHead Expedition model with 1000 grams thinsulate 2 years ago. So far they have been great . They weigh just over 3 lbs for the pair and are very comfortable. This will be the 3rd hunting season wearing them hunting in Maine and New Hampshire. I have been very happy with them but doubt they will last 5 years. But so far very comfortable , warm , good traction , no leaks, and no sign or significant wear. I probably have over 100 woods miles on them so far.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:05 AM
Spike

I had a similar instance with my pair of rocky boots. The layes of the sole seperated after a few years. I used epoxy to seal them together but was disappointed. Regular shoes that cost less and get worn 100x more often last for years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.