HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Ever had a rangefinder just stop working? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/424157-ever-had-rangefinder-just-stop-working.html)

badshotbob 10-07-2020 10:03 AM

Ever had a rangefinder just stop working?

I have a Leupold RX-1000i TBR, probably 7+ years old. It has very little time on it and has been stored in a safe for a couple years without a battery in it. You could say it has led a fairly useless life having very little field time on it. I dug it out and put a fresh battery in it and it wouldn't turn on. I verified the new battery had full voltage and was put in correctly, nothing. I called Leupold and they indicated it "just went bad". They couldn't help me since it was out of warranty, understandable, however they did offer a substantial discount on a new model. The thought here however is if these Leupolds "just go bad", I'm not that excited to get another one.

So, have you ever had a rangefinder (of any brand) just up and quit on you for no apparent reason?

mrbb 10-07-2020 10:44 AM

yes I have had lots of range finders of many brands and costs from cheaper to some very costly one's fail
there electrical item,s and well, as such, things fail
add in we hunters take them in from COLD temps to warm temps, , condensation forms on contacts and as time passes they corrode and fail

I have this same issue with trail camera as well, they will work fine for yrs then just STOP< no warning

I have also had this happen with high end camera's as well

sadly, its kind of the nature of the beast IMO

electrical parts can fail at any time it seems, from parts on vehicles to what ever!

sucks, but, Is what it is
and I idea you can try if you wish
on your old range finder you can try taking apart and cleaning contacts with electrical contact cleaner, never know, won;t hurt at this option
and in the future, you can also try storing things like this in a baggie filled with dry rice, it helps suck moisture off things and into rice?

teebig 11-06-2020 02:26 PM

Yes it's just what happens with electronics. Consider the iPhone which is mass produced and designed very well: most folks don't keep their phone for more than 2-3 years at the most. If someone actually kept it longer than that and tried to continually use it, it probably wouldn't work as well. They're always doing software updates and so-on. Just my 2 cents.

JimDow 01-20-2021 07:19 PM

Target coordinates?

I’m looking for a rangefinder that computes my target’s GPS coordinates for long range stalking.
does such a rangefinder exist?

GOOD OLE BOY 01-25-2021 02:56 PM

I have a Leou 600 r/finder that is over 10 years old and still works good except the digital number readings aren,t displayed completely on certain numbers.