Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which Boot Would You Get?

Old 08-29-2020, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe some of those battery operated sock heaters? My ex-FIL used to swear by those for duck hunting after he got minor frostbite 1 year standing in a duck pond.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know whether this adds to the conversation. I have a pair of Danner 1200's. My feet do sweat. I usually have a pair of dry socks to change into after a walk in to the stand. I find that they'll keep my feet warm all day if the temps don't go below the high to mid 20's.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

My feet seldom get cold, but I do have some experience sitting in extreme cold. Some tricks, knee-length wool socks, I use German military and wear two pairs. Even moist wool will keep you warm. I've tried many many high tech socks and always go back to wool. Some parts of your body radiate more than others, your calves, your center, your neck, and your head. If you keep these spots warm the other parts of your body have a lot easier time staying warm. You can heat your kidneys and warm your whole body. I unlace or loosen my boots when sitting, seems to work out better for me. I also wear my boots slightly loose, half-size too large. Wearing my Meindl Island (Iceland) my feet seldom get even a little cold. I had a really old school pair of Wellington style zipper boots with real Lamb fur inners, the only part of my foot that ever got cold was the sole when sitting, a pad to stand on fixed that. My Zipper boots were also half a size big.
I sometimes sit in a light sleeping bag or my favorite is two military blankets sewn on one side and the bottom, easy to get in and out, they seem to breathe better than a sleeping bag and still keep me warm when moist, they are also quiet.
The last trick, eat a good meal before you go out, stoking the furnace helps. Carbohydrates for the short boost, protein for the long hall. Beef and Beans or Fish and Taters. I use wool gloves and keep my hands mostly in my pockets. In extreme cold, I have a couple of warmers in my jacket pockets.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-30-2020 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Mudderchuck, Where are you getting those wool German sock?
Old 08-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag
Mudderchuck, Where are you getting those wool German sock?
Amazon.de search BW (bundeswehr) socks (socken) you can change the page to English. US military surplus is also a likely place to look, some sites have German surplus also. Tip if you find a German tanker coverall *liner* buy it. You can search bundeswehr shop, the site is unlikely to be in English.
I bought a many year supply of German Army wool knee socks the last time I found some.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-30-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found SMART WOOL brand socks to be very good socks, good wool without the itchy of many like wool socks
Old 09-11-2020, 05:51 AM
Spike

Actually I don't have any idea about the Danner 8-1200 gram Pronghorns. But I used the Irish Setter before and it's a nice boot for hunting or camping. Without these 2 brands there also have a lot of hunting boot you may check here- https://voy-voy.com/best-hunting-boots/