Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Bow hunting boots

Old 08-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Spike

Default Bow hunting boots

Hi guys-

Newbie here hoping to get some advice.

I’m 54 years old, terrible feet. I can’t be stomping around in rubber boots any more.

My tree stand sites are deep in the woods, a big of a height and very technical.

Looking for a decent hunting boot.

-warm
-good arch support like a hiking/work boot
-but scent controlling properties of the rubber boots I’ve been using for years.

No more Frankenstein boots.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2020, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

If you have bad feet I would advise getting light boots and maybe doctor scholls custom inserts and Walmart has that thing you stand on and they tell you what to pick. Its expensive, but if it works.

I have found with ten pair of boots, none do it all. I use light archery boots most times and when it gets cold I pack boot blankets to slip on once in the stand. I have 3/4 mile hike in walks many times and strap my over clothes to the back pack also.

I have my boots in my ozone closet for scent control.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree no one pair of boots does it all, better to have several pairs pending where hunting, hiking, weather/temps!

and I have NEVER had any issues with animals scenting my leather boots, I keep ALL my hunting boots for JUST HUNTING, they NEVER, get worn in trucks or stores or?? they get kept in scent free totes with my hunting gear, I dress at hunting site,before entering hunting area, and they get taken off and back in totes when done hunting before getting back in vehicle!, have done this for 30 yrs or so,

cannot tell you how many times I have had deer bed near me down wind at times, or fields of animals in food plots in ALL directions of me

ALL my hunting gear I wear and I mean everything, is NEVER worn doing anything BUT hunting! and I do fully believe it makes a BIG difference
it all gets washed often, in scent free detergent, air dried and back in scent free totes , as well as I have a one room in my house dedicated to ONLY hunting gear, and is rather scent free, sealed! filled with natural things like, pine tree branched, acorns, and like scents that are in area's I hunt!
is it akll NEEDED< most likely NO, I think many folks over thing scent, most places hunters hunt, deer smell humans ALL the time, and DON"T think many deer pay as much attention to human scent as the TV shows and marketing makes it out to be!

However if you hunting in VERY remote places, or are after maybe a very old and mature seasoned bucks, then, maybe the added steps help, as these deer in these places I DO< think rely on scent more, or are more sensitive that deer that live in closer proximity of humans, or have survived many seasons avoiding humans! a OLD smart doe can be top of the food chain on human detection IMO!
as for recommendations on boots, for early season, I have had very good luck with Meindl branded boots , got several pair of them in the Cabela's line up, and they all been VERY good solid boots that fit MY feet well,
But since we all have different feet and have different tolerance to temps, what works for me MIGHT NOT< work for you,
best advice is go try on boots before buying, make sure you wear socks like you will when hunting, and walk a bunch in them in the store, to see they don't rub the wrong way any where!

controlling temps in any boot is based on several factors, but start with HOW much insulation a given boot has, as in Gram's of insulation
many folks buy boots with TOO much for what they need and as such feet sweat and then get cold, and they then think they need MORE insulation in a better boot
when the actual problem is , your feet got wet from sweat and once the blood flow slows as you sit for a while as to the hike in, things get COLD< due to being WET
this is why MANY experienced folks carry extra socks and replace them when they get on stand, and or also wear very LIGHT socks on way in to prevent things from getting sweaty in the first place(or stop often to cool to NOT break a sweat, all the m roe so important to do if your really worried about scent control)

and if you do bring extra socks, before sticking the dry feet in your WET boots, make some time pass with feet OUT of boots, so inside of boots can DRY first! this makes a BIG difference in feet staying warm or Not IMO

for very cold weather, I am a BIG fan of boot blankets,, and wearing lesser insulated boots and using a blanket to help keep feet warm, or even taking boots off all together and just using good socks and a if needed a heat packet inside of blanket with JUST socks on
as again, biggest issue with keeping feet warm on a LONG sit in cold weather is NOT having sweaty feet to start with!
extra DRY socks and having DRY boots inside, will keep your toes a LOT happier

Only use I have for rubber boots these days is to stand in water long amounts of time in ONE place
I hate them for walking, they DON"T breathe period, and make things sweat, don't offer much in support IMO < and just sold due to marketing HYPE about scent control

then I seen everyone wearing them at gas stations filling vehicles up standing in spilled fuel, oils' in stores and then they THINK there scent free LOL

scent can attach to anything folks</ and rubber smells in itself?
any foreign odor in an animals area draws attention if animals are looking to ID it!
be it rubber, smoke, acorns where there are none, or any cover scent period, they ALL smell, and well, Almost all wildlife can ID smells! and there locations!
as I said, most folks over thing scent
me, I'd rather be warm, and comfortable, than TRY to be scent free as I can, than wear something I find uncomfortable that will make me Not want to sit still or walk far or?

Old 08-25-2020, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard Muck boots are very comfortable.

My feet are not finicky. I get by with most anything. Waterproof is my #1 priority. When cold, I add a warmth factor.

Once I de-scent my hunting boots, they are only worn in the field. Leather, rubber, etc. doesn't matter. All of them can be successfully scent free to a whitetail nose.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

From your post, it sound like you need to try on some decent lighter weight hiking/hunting boots and see why one supports your feet best. Maybe add some custom inserts if needed and then do your best to scent proof your boots.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I wear Merrill Chameleon waterproof hiking shoes when hunting in early-mid archery season. I prep my hunting spots so I’m able to cross water without wading creeks, but do need some waterproofing. The ankle and foot support in hiking shoes is fantastic. I can drop a foot warmer in them and be comfortably warm even down in the 20’s and 30’s. I wear gumboots in late rifle season where I know I’ll be stuck in temps peaking in the teens or 20’s, instead of bottoming as they do in our archery season. Great shoes. I’ve put a couple hundred miles of 50-100 pound loaded rucking on them as well, and hundreds more miles hiking, hunting, and competing in tactical rifle matches, and the support is still fantastic. All for under a hundred bucks (purchased factory direct during high percentage sales).
Old 08-28-2020, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hi tech ankle high. Decent price and they wear like iron and they are comfortable.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:46 PM
Spike

Where are you hunting. Your boots should depend on where you are at! Snakes? Rough terrain? Water? Snow? Sand? Cold or hot environment?
Old 10-22-2020, 10:42 PM
Spike

Default ef

Lacross

Old 04-04-2023, 07:35 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I wear Muck Woodymax. They wear like iron. I use them all season long. Turkey, deer, and ice fishing.

JW