Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Replacement shoulder straps for Summit Viper SD? >

Replacement shoulder straps for Summit Viper SD?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Replacement shoulder straps for Summit Viper SD?

Old 08-24-2020, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I replaced the straps on one of my summits. Found a set at a military surplus. I don't remember what I purchased to rob the straps.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give me a 50lb bag of sand, carried on my shoulder, and I’d be cussing in pain after a mile, and it might take me 40min, AND I’d be nearly worthless the next day. Put 100lbs Of sandbags in my Load Sling on my Mystery Ranch pack frame and I can ruck 3.5-4mph, and have rucked 10-15 miles at a time on multiple occasions in training hikes. Even a cheap Eberlestock Mainframe pack will ride nicer without pressure points.

I’ve yet to meet a deer stand which I thought carried well or which was comfortable against my back. I also have water bottle pockets and snack/tool/phone pouches on my frame belt. Adding that 5.5lbs is worth every single ounce compared to rucking the stand alone by shoulder straps.

When I was young enough still to be more foolish, I used military surplus ALICE straps or two cheap Allen gun slings to haul my stands. Mountainsmith makes a set of shoulder straps meant for a lumbar pack which should work well for a deer stand too.

But next weekend, I’m hauling my stands in on my pack frame.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:36 AM
Spike

Thanks guys; all great suggestions. I did get a waist belt for it online for about $25. It feels much better but need to carry it in the woods to see for sure. I think a set of new shoulder straps will do wonders though. At 62, i'm with you. Can't do what I used to but not in that great of shape these days either. Gotta get on the bike before gun season and get a little work in. Gettin old seems no fun. Ha, ha.