HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Slugs in a 12 gauge? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/423025-slugs-12-gauge.html)

jnicholes 03-18-2020 12:23 PM

Slugs in a 12 gauge?

So, I have a Remington 870 12-gauge, I use it for duck and goose hunting. It has a modified choke. I was sorting my ammunition today, (they accidentally got mixed,) when I found some slugs. 2 and 3/4 in 1 oz to be exact. I have two of them. Here is my question, is it safe for me to use these slugs in my shotgun as it is?

if not, what do I need to safely shoot them?

Jared

Wingbone 03-18-2020 01:06 PM

If you are talking about the old style 12 ga. traditional foster-type "rifled" slugs, yes it's absolutely safe to fire them in your gun. They may not be vary accurate, but you or your gun won't be in any peril. They were designed to be safely fired out of any 12 ga. shotgun.

jnicholes 03-18-2020 01:12 PM

To be honest, I don't know if they are rifled slugs or not. Let me upload a picture of them, maybe we can figure that out. Give me a second.

jnicholes 03-18-2020 01:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the photos of one of the slugs i found. They are all the same as this one.

SportsmanNH 03-18-2020 01:51 PM

Those are traditional rifled slugs and are safe to shoot out of your 870. They might not be very accurate coming out of a modified choke though.
Normally you would shoot those type of slugs out of an improved cylinder barrel . Brenneke slugs work the best for me out of a smoothbore barrel

grizzly 2 03-18-2020 04:06 PM

They are soft and will not be bothered by your modified choke. Accurate? Yes, they can be. Back in the 80's all I had was an older 870/modified choke 28" barrel with a rib. We had a slug shoot coming up at our local club, 25, 50 and 75 yards all fired standing at about an 8"x10" plate. I stopped by a lgs and he had some nylon clamp on rifle sights that attached to the rib. I've no idea if they are even available anymore and I've no idea what happened to mine. I think I may have given them away to someone.

In that shoot were a number of scoped shotguns and even a scoped bolt action Marlin 12 gauge a gunsmith had modified. The old 870 modified out-shot them all and even aggravated a few. It's been too many years ago to remember how tight my practice groups were, but there was plenty of practical accuracy.

You will be fine if you want to shoot them out of your 870. They were designed to be shot from all chokes back in the day before all the rifled barrels became popular. I would just refrain from shooting them in a rifled barrel. I'd worry about the soft lead getting in the rifling but that's all the harm it might do to the best of my knowledge.

CalHunter 03-19-2020 01:12 AM

Those look like the same slugs we shot in Patrol shotguns which were 870's with improved Cylinder chokes. I never shot them in a shotgun with a modified choke so would defer to the guys who have.

Wingbone 03-19-2020 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 4372268)
Here are the photos of one of the slugs i found. They are all the same as this one.

Yup, that's them. You're good.