Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wet weather gear

Old 03-13-2020, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wet weather gear

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone is using the Army's ESWCS GEN III LEVEL 6 rain/wet weather gear.

I have the old GEN I woodland but it's old and I may need something much lighter for a weight restriction. If you used it and ditched it what did you switch to?

Thanks in advance and good hunting everyone!
Old 03-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised nobody is using this stuff. How many have sprung for the expensive gear like Sitka?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Kuiu Chugach rain gear now. Lighter and breathes better with the added features. I’m not above a simple plastic poncho, or yellow rubber slicker, but the Kuiu gear I’m using has been great. I spent a couple days DTI ving hogs through cedar and scrub in NW Oklahoma in drenching rain this Jan, and the only thing which got wet was my gun. I’ve worn them at PRS matches so wet we couldn’t see past 500yrds - dry as a bone. Walked through knee deep water, goretex boots and merino socks. Everything was walked dry in under half of an hour. No complaints.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I use Kuiu Chugach rain gear now. Lighter and breathes better with the added features. I’m not above a simple plastic poncho, or yellow rubber slicker, but the Kuiu gear I’m using has been great. I spent a couple days DTI ving hogs through cedar and scrub in NW Oklahoma in drenching rain this Jan, and the only thing which got wet was my gun. I’ve worn them at PRS matches so wet we couldn’t see past 500yrds - dry as a bone. Walked through knee deep water, goretex boots and merino socks. Everything was walked dry in under half of an hour. No complaints.
Thanks Nomercy, I'll look it up.

ATB
Old 03-25-2020, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally before I would suggest any rain gear, I would have to ask what are you planning to use it for(minus the obvious rain LOL)
I mean are you looking for came, for hunting, cold weather, warm weather, do you need it to be quiet, are you going to be very active in it or more stationary?
as all this adds up IMO.
as IMO< really GREAT rain wear is stuff fishermen use, and NOT really Hunters, its heavier not as comfortable for hiking and such, rather stiff and noisy, but VERY very waterproof
made of rubber or like materials
when you get into the more Hunter targeted stuff, you start paying more for stuff that is LESS waterproof (most will bleed thru over hours of exposure and time will work less and less well)
spent thousands of $$ over the yrs on high end gear! to know this for a fact!

so, can you maybe say what you want the gear for or to do with it>
is camo quiet, soft, insulated, a much have here, or do you just want good rain gear care less on color, just want to stay dry?

good gear that will keep you dry, and not targeted at hunters IMO
hunters IMO tend to spend more $$ to have things than a lot of others will!
always looking for the next great gadget, is how marketers seem to ploy after us! and so many give in to it!

https://www.stormlinegear.com/shop/marine-oilskins/

https://stormrusa.com/product/new-strykr-jacket/

Last edited by mrbb; 03-25-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
personally before I would suggest any rain gear, I would have to ask what are you planning to use it for(minus the obvious rain LOL)
I mean are you looking for came, for hunting, cold weather, warm weather, do you need it to be quiet, are you going to be very active in it or more stationary?
as all this adds up IMO.
as IMO< really GREAT rain wear is stuff fishermen use, and NOT really Hunters, its heavier not as comfortable for hiking and such, rather stiff and noisy, but VERY very waterproof
made of rubber or like materials
when you get into the more Hunter targeted stuff, you start paying more for stuff that is LESS waterproof (most will bleed thru over hours of exposure and time will work less and less well)
spent thousands of $$ over the yrs on high end gear! to know this for a fact!

so, can you maybe say what you want the gear for or to do with it>
is camo quiet, soft, insulated, a much have here, or do you just want good rain gear care less on color, just want to stay dry?

good gear that will keep you dry, and not targeted at hunters IMO
hunters IMO tend to spend more $$ to have things than a lot of others will!
always looking for the next great gadget, is how marketers seem to ploy after us! and so many give in to it!

https://www.stormlinegear.com/shop/marine-oilskins/

https://stormrusa.com/product/new-strykr-jacket/
Thanks for the reply. This all began as I was going over gear for a Newfoundland Moose Hunt. So, that would be probably be the first time I used it. Combination of hiking on the giant sponge that is NL along with sitting still for calling. My own preference when walking is a poncho because of the air circulation and ability to protect your back pack etc. After NL it would be for mostly stand hunting and maybe steelhead fishing situations.

Having looked at your links I'll admit I want a set of Storm line. But it's not what I'm looking for to hunt in NL

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

something else to consider then, is what about neoprene waders and jacket
I have worn them off and on in VERY rainy days on stand and stayed dry and warm
not the best for walking far in,
but there are better one's that have decent boots on them now, or sock like liners and can wear in any boot(maybe a size or two larger ??)
however if your in very thick or nasty cover, neoprene can tear, so, what I used to do , was wear a layer of again thin clothing on outer layer, to prevent any tears
worked for me pretty wlll for what I wanted to do!

and also don;t or get, that is you WANT good rain gear and its NOT camo, you can always add a camo layer of something light and thin and it will cover the other wise NON camo gear
I have done this too in the past!

another suggestion is, WHY not ask the guides where your going what they use< odds are they wear the stuff WAY more than most and will know what works and what is just marketing
you can also ask any guide that works in wet area's often, from AK to ???
and most will tell you I think, what I posted above, unless there working with a company to push a sale LOL

this said, about ANY NEW goretex stuff will last a week in wet weather, BUT as I stated, spend a full week in rain every day,m and it does bleed thru, I have jackets costing 600+ bucks that BLEED thru to know this!
as I said, I spent a LOT of money over the yrs on outdoor gear and my experience is, GOOD rain gear is just that gear made for RAIN, not huntress!, and the gear for fishermen, works way way better from my experience, there lives depend on it!'

Last edited by mrbb; 03-26-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a set of Sitka Cloudburst. I used it in Newfoundland in 2018 and 2019. It performed well and kept me nice and dry in multiple torrential downpours.

Best of luck!
Old 04-19-2020, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone is using the Army's ESWCS GEN III LEVEL 6 rain/wet weather gear.

I have the old GEN I woodland but it's old and I may need something much lighter for a weight restriction. If you used it and ditched it what did you switch to?

Thanks in advance and good hunting everyone!
I typically just use a USGI poncho over layered clothing, with the top layer being an oversized waterproof windbreaker.

Pretty hard to go wrong with military gear in general. Has the nice benefit of being really cheap if you can get it surplus too.

Last edited by Valorius; 04-19-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well at my age my favorite rain gear is a sweat shirt, sweat pants and a hot cup of coffee as I sit on the cabin porch and watch the rain fall down. I stay warm and dry!
When I did hunt in the rain though I used a set I bought at Cabelas (their brand) and it worked fine for me.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-24-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.